CA drought

oldmodman

Established Member
Every time there is a drought here in Southern California we are asked to limit our water use. Then they get a rate increase due to less income from less water being used.

Last huge drought I just stopped watering both of my front yards and back yards. if it rains they get watered. That saves me over 125 dollars a month and keeps me from getting fined for "excess water usage".:cuss:

And when I wash a car I do it on my lawn. Why let a drop go to waste?

Last edited:

Planter

Banned
they have an entire ocean of water on their westside back door and they have a shortage...:dw:

desalinizate that shit,problem solved.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
they have an entire ocean of water on their westside back door and they have a shortage...:dw:

desalinizate that shit,problem solved.

That is a highly energy intensive process and we're talking about a state that has nearly regulated energy production out of existence.

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
That is a highly energy intensive process and we're talking about a state that has nearly regulated energy production out of existence.

Truth! Everything our awesome politicians do in California causes more harm than good. Don't forget about all the jobs that are leaving/left because of our awesome regulations, high taxes, etc. The funny thing is that some cities have regulations against letting your yard die. You can actually get fined for having a brown yard but you can also get in trouble for watering too much.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Good points, Travis. I lived in Long Beach for a couple of years back in the late '60s. I don't remember water shortages back then. Today, it's a pretty serious issue out there.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Water usage has never been a concern where I live, and I didnt know it was that big of a deal. I had a friend in from visiting from california help me on some house work and he was explaining all these things I should do to save water, and it didnt make sense to me. I guess I "waste" all sorts of water without thinking about it.

Hell, grandma had a water leak of 20,000 gallons a while back, paid the 100 dollar water bill or whatever it was for a few months before fixing it.

OCSnk

NowIESnk
Established Member
The result of a normal fluctuation in rainfall that is exacerbated by decades of poorly managed and abused water tables & water resources.

California should have invested in desalination plants years ago.

Spend a few billion to make desalination plants like the U.S. engineers did for the Saudi's. Once completed, California would never have to worry about water again.

The bogus argument, "it costs too much" simply does not hold water, pun intended. Think of the multi-billions of cost in legal hassles with bordering states, businesses that could not be built, charges, taxes, regulations, on the people to the point of mandates and forced rationing, pipes having to pipe water in from hundreds of miles away... do you realize the extremely enormous cost of these things, in addition to the anxiety.

California desperately needs a couple large desalination plants built immediately! As it stands people better learn the stick trick, skilled in dowsing!!:coolman:

California will still water the medians on the freeway though:dw:

Quote: Not to long ago!

Schwarzenegger declared a statewide drought in June but stopped short of calling a state of emergency. His 2008 executive order directed the state Department of Water Resources to speed water transfers to areas with the worst shortages and help local water districts with conservation efforts. Over the last few weeks, storms have helped bring the seasons' rain totals to 87 percent of average, but the Sierra snowpack remains at 78 percent of normal for this time of year. State hydrologists say the snowpack must reach between 120 to 130 percent of normal to make up for the two previous dry winters and replenish California's key reservoirs. The state delivers water to more than 25 million Californians and more than 750,000 acres of farmland. Schwarzenegger's order leaves the door open for more severe restrictions later. Additional measures can include mandatory water rationing and water reductions. At least 25 water agencies throughout the state already have imposed mandatory restrictions, while 66 others have voluntary measures in place. Almond farmer Shawn Coburn of Mendota said the move comes too late for many growers who already are halfway through the season. Some farmers didn't bring in bees to pollinate, while others sprayed their orchards with chemicals that keep nuts from forming.

All Around The US, Risks Of A Water Crisis Are Much Bigger Than People Realize
America's Water Problem Is Way Worse Than Everybody Thinks - Business Insider

Last edited:

numbnutz

Established Member
I would still take all of Cali's problems for the warm weather, things to do/ see, etc. One of these days.

oldmodman

Established Member
There is an easy solution and it is not only cheaper than a (probably nuclear) desalinization plant but it could be implemented within six months.

Bring water down from the Columbia River.

All it would take is a fleet of ocean going tugs and letting a contract with Goodyear.

A hypalon rubber bag. It would be appx. four thousand feet long, six hundred feet wide, and a hundred feet high. It would be taken just far enough upstream at the mouth of the Columbia River to insure being in fresh water. Two of the tugs would anchor the mouth of the bag and start allowing it to unroll and fill with water. After it was full the mouth would be sealed and the ocean going tugs (probably four) would begin pulling it down to Los Angeles where it would hook into the water purification system for entry into the municipal water system.

And there could be many of these huge rubber bags in operation at any given time. One being filled, three on the way south, two waiting for hook up and draining, and five more on the way back north. I have never done the math but it would certainly have a much lower initial cost than one (or more) desalinization plants.

Don't like that idea?

How about dragging a few icebergs a year up from the South Polar region.
Surely a dozen cubic miles of ice would supply quite a bit of water.

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
This entire year we got about 2 weeks worth of rainfall? Damnit it was in the 80's today in O.C.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
There is an easy solution and it is not only cheaper than a (probably nuclear) desalinization plant but it could be implemented within six months.

Bring water down from the Columbia River.

All it would take is a fleet of ocean going tugs and letting a contract with Goodyear.

A hypalon rubber bag. It would be appx. four thousand feet long, six hundred feet wide, and a hundred feet high. It would be taken just far enough upstream at the mouth of the Columbia River to insure being in fresh water. Two of the tugs would anchor the mouth of the bag and start allowing it to unroll and fill with water. After it was full the mouth would be sealed and the ocean going tugs (probably four) would begin pulling it down to Los Angeles where it would hook into the water purification system for entry into the municipal water system.

And there could be many of these huge rubber bags in operation at any given time. One being filled, three on the way south, two waiting for hook up and draining, and five more on the way back north. I have never done the math but it would certainly have a much lower initial cost than one (or more) desalinization plants.

Don't like that idea?

How about dragging a few icebergs a year up from the South Polar region.
Surely a dozen cubic miles of ice would supply quite a bit of water.

The Columbia is rittled with nuclear waste lol. I've been swimming in it since I was a kid and no extra appendages yet so I'd say it's good to go haha.

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
We are already rationing water here in nor cal--yet the city can run their sprinklers daily with no problems. We got a note saying we can water 2 days a week, if caught watering on non water days we get a warning, then comes fines.

Users who are viewing this thread