Buying a stock 04 Terminator this weekend

need4snake

Banned
Hi guys,

I have some questions and would really appreciate the help. The car is about 250 miles away at a dealer. Price pretty much negotiated already, getting a good deal I think - right at 20K. The car has 38K on it. I don't think its ever been modded, but it could have been restored before trade in. Anyway... what should I look for when I go to look at it? Cosmetically it looks stellar from the pictures. I know enough about cars in general to know what to look for as far as basics. But is there any specific issues I should look for on an 04 Terminator?

Also, it will not remain stock very long. I want to do the pulley, CAI, and just an off road H or X-pipe, and tune obviously. I want to keep it somewhat quiet though, so I might not do the cat back, is the factory cat back really restrictive? What other "cheap mods" can I do? I don't want to dump a lot of money into it right now.

What size pulley should I get?
Which H or X Pipe?
Which Cold Air kit?

Can I get my RWHP in the mid 400's with that? If not what else will I need?

I just sold and 03 Mach 1 a few months ago. Fun car, but always regretted not buying the terminator. Got tired of it, I wanted boost, it just wasn't worth dumping the money into. Easier to buy the snake.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
Congrtas! :beer: .... 2.76" BF upper, X-pipe (+CB exhaust), CAI & tune will get you in the 450-465 rwhp range...any pics?
I like JLT's RAI or CAI....

Last edited:

jdm99svt

jdm99svt
Established Member
Contrasts on the find! If you get a catted mid pipe along with a "mellow" catback it will likely make better power versus just putting an off road pipe on with your stock catback, and it will sound a lot better too. I only say this because I ran a off road x with my stock exhaust for a couple days and it sounded like poo imo.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk

need4snake

Banned
Do you have any suggestions on a mellow catback?

I had a bassani off road x-pipe and cat back on my Mach 1 - and jeez it sounded awesome but it was so freakin loud. I put the high flow cats in for a while and it did reduce the raspy-ness, but they robbed my power.

I personally don't care, but my wife refused to ride in the car and to be honest when I would take it on long drives the 2500rpm drone sound would get really annoying. Plus when ever I wanted to open it up with her in the car she would only freak out because it was loud not because we were going fast. (I'm dealing with someone who's afraid of a balloon popping, if you get my drift).

jdm99svt

jdm99svt
Established Member
I've had several combos on my car now and the one I like the best is what's on it now...VRS catted X with a Magnaflow cat back. There is some drone at freeway speed but overall it is mellow/clean sounding around town/ low rpms but very authoritative/aggressive when you get after it

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Skip the O/R H or X if you are intending to be quiet. Might want to try and find a "quiet borla" or steeda kit as they are pretty reserved with the stock H. You will pick up much more by upgrading the catback then keeping it and throwing on an O/R pipe.

As far as other set ups, there is a comprehensive list/vids with most set ups availbable for the Terminator. This is found in the Exhuast sub-forum.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Do you have any suggestions on a mellow catback?

I had a bassani off road x-pipe and cat back on my Mach 1 - and jeez it sounded awesome but it was so freakin loud. I put the high flow cats in for a while and it did reduce the raspy-ness, but they robbed my power.

I personally don't care, but my wife refused to ride in the car and to be honest when I would take it on long drives the 2500rpm drone sound would get really annoying. Plus when ever I wanted to open it up with her in the car she would only freak out because it was loud not because we were going fast. (I'm dealing with someone who's afraid of a balloon popping, if you get my drift).

I think I can help. What you're describing above is the first setup I had on my '03 Cobra. A bit too loud. Two raspy. And the dreaded drone at 1800-2300 rpms. I had a Magnaflow catback and Magnaflow catted X-pipe. I swapped the Magnaflow catback with a Steeda catback and the loudness was toned down just enough to make it interesting, raspiness disappeared, as did the drone. I loved that setup.

subemup

Established Member
Lots of good advice above. Let me give a shot at your other question about what to look for. I just picked up my first Termi too (03 DSG vert with 15K) :burnout: I found another one with 30K on it at a dealer but didn't buy it because I could tell that it had been driven hard. Lots of people pull their mods before trading in their car so you have to look for signs of prior mods. For example, check the bolts on the intake and SC pulley cover. Are they marked up like they've been off and back on a few times, or are they clean? Same thing with the exhaust. One dead give away on the car I was looking at were the almost bald Nitto tires and welded subframe connectors. Prior mods aren't necessarily bad, but be sure to check out the mechanical condition extra closely. When I test drove the car there was a big clunk from the rear end. Good luck with your buy!

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
do yourself a favor.......spend a few months getting to know the car before you start to mod it. there is literally hundreds of pages for you to read and catch up on these cars

congrats on the purchase.......

first thing you should look for is the stock pulley cover. Most car's that are demodded and sold are missing them. If it's there, chances are it's a virgin..........if its missing I would personally walk away and find another one.

Best of luck

OH3BLKSVT

Screwed by the twins
Established Member
Congrats on the purpose! everyone has covered all the basics! Enjoy the car :beer:

need4snake

Banned
Wow this is great stuff guys thanks! As far as the pulley cover it is still installed on it based on the pictures I have been given. I will definitely check to see if its been messed with. I told the dealer the car is going on a lift as soon as I get there, so they better make sure one is available - they said they would happily accommodate.

I think waiting a few months to modify the car is a good idea. Get to know any issues it might have before I introduce a modification. I need a baseline, known good configuration. Whoever suggested that must be an engineer! :idea:

Here's the car advertised on the dealers web site:

2004 Ford Mustang - Mike Shad - Jacksonville area - Jacksonville, Florida

I'd love to find the previous owner... he doesn't have anything to gain or loose now.

Anyone trade this in at Mike Shad Ford in Jacksonville, FL ?

SoCaDan

Established Member
do yourself a favor.......spend a few months getting to know the car before you start to mod it. there is literally hundreds of pages for you to read and catch up on these cars

congrats on the purchase.......

first thing you should look for is the stock pulley cover. Most car's that are demodded and sold are missing them. If it's there, chances are it's a virgin..........if its missing I would personally walk away and find another one.

Best of luck

Great advice here. I bought my bone stock (never modded) 04 with 14,200 miles on her 7 months ago. I've slowly added a few mods starting with lowering, then a catback, and most recently CAI. I'm constantly reading the boards for info. Especially now as I debate what to do next.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow this is great stuff guys thanks! As far as the pulley cover it is still installed on it based on the pictures I have been given. I will definitely check to see if its been messed with. I told the dealer the car is going on a lift as soon as I get there, so they better make sure one is available - they said they would happily accommodate.

I think waiting a few months to modify the car is a good idea. Get to know any issues it might have before I introduce a modification. I need a baseline, known good configuration. Whoever suggested that must be an engineer! :idea:

Here's the car advertised on the dealers web site:

2004 Ford Mustang - Mike Shad - Jacksonville area - Jacksonville, Florida

I'd love to find the previous owner... he doesn't have anything to gain or loose now.

Anyone trade this in at Mike Shad Ford in Jacksonville, FL ?

The car is no longer listed.

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
Billetflow 2.76 are the best, and look the best, although I have a 2.93 on mine. Prochamber midpipes also sound great. And JLT intakes are also excellent for these vehicles and look good too.

I have all that usual minor bolt on stuff and make 450 at the wheels.

Last edited:

b_dike

Established Member
Yep go with billetflow for your pullies.

I have the 2.76 upper and a 100mm idler, sct handheld (You'll want one of those after you start modding some more), JLT cai, and stock exhaust except for my mufflers(Dunno what they are).

Everything else is stock and my car put down 455rwhp/ 501rwtq...

BUT... If I could do it over again I'd skip the power upgrades and build the IRS first; bushings, braces, subframe, etc...

These cars have more than enough power stock. The trick is putting that power to the pavement.

Good Luck with your purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread