Buyer advice for a noob: mustang or camaro/firebird?

blacksheep-1

Established Member
Are verts noticeably flimsier? Do you feel it when driving? Is the handling s***ier?

yes

also another option is the 35th and 40th anniversary cars, they were limited editions (make sure you get a real one) and have some of the appearance parts that may appeal to you. Keep in mind they don't have the engine of even the Bullets, they are basically jazzed up GTs.

BTW here's mine..on the right, along with my cobra

A0kSNm2l.jpg

Rotzs99

Established Member
Verts are flimsier but fun. Mine has full length subframes, the light bar (which may add stability), and I have a strut tower brace that I'll be adding because of the cowl shake. My coupe has none of the shimmies my vert has. Subframes on both because they are IMO the best bang for the buck in feel.

Edit: Verts are NOT gay. IMO stay with black interior and a black top and they look great. All black is best :)

I'd look into 96-98 cobras unless you are set on the new edge style. Just a stock car with gears will be a lot of fun and can get into the low 13s pretty easy.

Last edited:

kewlstory

Established Member
Verts are flimsier but fun. Mine has full length subframes, the light bar (which may add stability), and I have a strut tower brace that I'll be adding because of the cowl shake. My coupe has none of the shimmies my vert has. Subframes on both because they are IMO the best bang for the buck in feel.

Edit: Verts are NOT gay. IMO stay with black interior and a black top and they look great. All black is best :)

I'd look into 96-98 cobras unless you are set on the new edge style. Just a stock car with gears will be a lot of fun and can get into the low 13s pretty easy.

Black on black on black on black on black.......?

I've looked into the cobras but I culdnt find many for my budget with low miles unless I'm just not looking hard enough. Btw whats considered low miles for a new edge gt or a 96-98 cobra? And opinions on a 94-95 cobra? Is it more special or just a hyped up 5.0? Like does it have any big changes (like 2v to 4v on the 4.6) or is it just better intake new bumper new rims?

Jordang

Established Member
Ford re-introduced the Cobra in mid-1994 featuring the new styling as well as larger brakes, a revised suspension setup and wider wheels than the outgoing version, a "GT-40" lower intake and Cobra specific upper intake as well as GT-40 cast iron heads. Power was boosted to 240 hp (180 kW)

Jordang

Established Member
I would consider below 50k a low miles on a New Edge.

That being said I have 100k miles on my 2000 GT and would not be afraid to throw a 75 shot on it or procharger.

Rotzs99

Established Member
Black on black on black on black on black.......?

I've looked into the cobras but I culdnt find many for my budget with low miles unless I'm just not looking hard enough. Btw whats considered low miles for a new edge gt or a 96-98 cobra? And opinions on a 94-95 cobra? Is it more special or just a hyped up 5.0? Like does it have any big changes (like 2v to 4v on the 4.6) or is it just better intake new bumper new rims?

Black on Black on Black on Chrome :coolman:

94-95 Gt and Cobra are almost interchangeable just a few different appearance mods and youll most likely want to do aftermarket H/C/I on a pushrod anyway so it doesnt matter if you start cobra or gt.

Being from IL you're screwed when it comes to mileage because anything driven in winter will rot to pieces if it has 100k or even 70k miles. GTs have the same motors as crown vics/explorers/f150s etc, so there are plenty with 100-200k+ miles. You just have to worry about the salt rusting your car into pieces. I like that Cobras have hand built motors so you can always look up the guys that built it and go punch them if it doesn't last, but there are a bunch of high mileage cobras out there too. You just have to find someone who has treated their car right. Right now it is a little early to be looking/selling a Mustang so there aren't that many buyers/sellers. I know because I'm selling.

If you haven't already, check out Chicagolandmustang.com I used to belong there and it is a good group of people. Maybe you can find something in the classifieds too.

Last edited:

kewlstory

Established Member
Black on Black on Black on Chrome :coolman:

94-95 Gt and Cobra are almost interchangeable just a few different appearance mods and youll most likely want to do aftermarket H/C/I on a pushrod anyway so it doesnt matter if you start cobra or gt.

Being from IL you're screwed when it comes to mileage because anything driven in winter will rot to pieces if it has 100k or even 70k miles. GTs have the same motors as crown vics/explorers/f150s etc, so there are plenty with 100-200k+ miles. You just have to worry about the salt rusting your car into pieces. I like that Cobras have hand built motors so you can always look up the guys that built it and go punch them if it doesn't last, but there are a bunch of high mileage cobras out there too. You just have to find someone who has treated their car right. Right now it is a little early to be looking/selling a Mustang so there aren't that many buyers/sellers. I know because I'm selling.

If you haven't already, check out Chicagolandmustang.com I used to belong there and it is a good group of people. Maybe you can find something in the classifieds too.

Thanks dude. I'm look into that site. As far as the salt and stuff, what would you then consider to be DECENT miles in a location like Chicago. Like I said, this is a project car. I don't need something brand new, just something that isn't falling apart

Jordang

Established Member
best bet is to go look at the car get under it and talk to the owner.

Be prepared to get a checklist of components that will need to be fixed / replaced these are 15-12 year old cars. ( my 2000 Mustang GT is getting a full exhaust because its just old and crap lol. )

get service records from the owner, get a feel for how it was driven, go drive it.

And don't buy the first car you see that makes you go "AWESOME"

Also, as much as Coyote and 4v engines are hyped up.

the 4.6 2v is easily the redheaded step child and a lot of misconceptions of how it can't make power like the 4v's

But get a set of ported TFS heads a built teksid short block a ported intake manifold and you can go from 400-1000hp with whatever boost you have.

Rotzs99

Established Member
Thanks dude. I'm look into that site. As far as the salt and stuff, what would you then consider to be DECENT miles in a location like Chicago. Like I said, this is a project car. I don't need something brand new, just something that isn't falling apart

I think around 70-80k is good. My parent's 04 mountaineer has 85K and has some fender rust but I have a friend (V6&V8SHO username) who daily drove his 01 Cobra for 7 or more years and over 150k miles and his car was in the Chicago Auto Show this last year. It all depends on how they took care of it. If you're able to get Carfax reports look at how many miles per year each owner put on the car and you can usually tell who daily drove their car and who let it sit in the winter. If it is in real good condition and you can verify it wasn't driven in the salt a lot I wouldn't be scared of a 100k mile car. I'm not the best qualified for this because my cobras have 43k and 73k miles, but just from looking at what is out there and from the forums you can get an idea. The nice part about these cars is there are plenty of junkyard cars and parts. Chicago has a huge car scene so use the market places on those websites to score cheaper used parts.

Last edited:

Rotzs99

Established Member
Any big big big issues or pressing questions I should ask the owner when buying? Any mustsng buying hints help guys Thanks a lot!

I'm not sure if there were any specific problem points or recalls. Just make sure to look under the car for rust. Exhaust rust can be expected. Ask for records and history. I've never driven a t5 transmission (94-95), but the T45 (96-01) should be very smooth. The T3650 01+ can be notchy and a pain in the ass. Otherwise just look for the typical stuff, leaks, spots on the ground, blue smoke, panel gaps for accident proof, etc. If it has modifications there is a good chance someone knows about the car on Chicagolandmustang or thechicagogarage.com and you could find more info about it.

Last edited:

blacksheep-1

Established Member
Verts are great, especially here in Florida, I would much rather have a vert than anything t-topped, but again they are compromised in rigidity, so SFCs and the cowl brace would be a must on one.
I just don't happen to be a rag top guy, but I wouldn't consider them "gay" either.

kewlstory

Established Member
Does strengthening the verts take up space for the rear seats? I forgot to mention this earlier, but I want the car to hav back seats, even if they're tiny. It's just something I want even if some consider it pointless. And are there any sn95s that have a sunroof AND a v8?

blacksheep-1

Established Member
Does strengthening the verts take up space for the rear seats? I forgot to mention this earlier, but I want the car to hav back seats, even if they're tiny. It's just something I want even if some consider it pointless. And are there any sn95s that have a sunroof AND a v8?

no they don't and srsly, if you want a hole in the roof, just get a vert and have the real thing, only w/o the drip.

1hot281

Established Member
If 400rwhp, on a budget, is your end goal... A 6-speed LS1 F-Body is the way to go. Bolt-ones, long tubes, a decent cam, and a dyno tune... and you're there.

Users who are viewing this thread