Buyer advice for a noob: mustang or camaro/firebird?

blacksheep-1

Established Member
The terminator is bada** but it's way or of my reach. Won't any other 4.6 explode with anything more than 450 whp? And how expensive would it be to build a 12 sec mustsng? Would it cost more to do than on an f body

Then dig around for a MACH 1, big motor, stick axle for simplicity, less expensive than a termi and faster than the GT. As far as expense to get into the 12s a big gear, slicks..bolt ons, should be easily do-able with either car, probably a little cheaper with the F-body though. "Explode" with more than 450HP? srsly some F-body hype right there.

Find Your Car: Ford Mustang Listings Near Saint Petersburg, FL 33710 - AutoTrader.com[FORD[MUST[MUST|Mach+1]][]]&modelCode1=MUST&searchRadius=500&showcaseListingId=0&showcaseOwnerId=102742&startYear=2000&transmissionCode=MAN&transmissionCodes=MAN&vehicleStyleCodes=COUPE&Log=0

Last edited:

Jordang

Established Member
TFS heads I feel equal the playing field when talking about the ability to make power with 2 valve engines.

a good built 2v engine with ported top end can make some serious power.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Agreed a 4.6 can make good numbers. Just for someone on a budget, it might not be the best option. It's not too hard to do high 12's with the right bolt ons. If you wanna make more than 320 rwhp, a supercharger is the way to go on a 4.6. New kits are pricey but there are plenty of used kits out there. The stock bottom end can handle 420-450 hp before your on borrowed time. Even at those levels you can break a rod. But really 420 is PLENTY of power for a new driver.

kewlstory

Established Member
So with everything that everyone posted, let me ask one more question. Which cat will have the cheaper route to 400 rwhp? A mustsng with a Blower or an h/c/I f body? And jymboslice did u mean base c4 vette?

Jordang

Established Member
Mustang with a centrifugal charger seems pretty easy, and allows for groth in the future with a new head unit.

But going fast ( 200 rwhp + over stock )

Will never be fast.

And from experience pick the car you best like because it will cost you money no matter what.

If I could work on the engine with it in the car I would go firebird or camaro but they truly are a nightmare to work on, so unless you have access to a lift its gonna be a PITA.

Mustangs, well we don't have that issue and with tfs 2 valve heads we can enter good power numbers rivaling a stock LS1.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
Sooooo the mustangs big advantage over the camaro is space to work on under the hood?

That and the big one is build quality, the GM cars are pretty "iffy" since they were threatening to close the plant (and later did). Working on the LS is a real PITA for the most part.
Let's face it they were direct competitors for each other, they won't be that much difference over all.

kewlstory

Established Member
Does a kenne bell need forged internals or is it safe enough for a stock engine? And the ls1s dyno at some 300, will a better set of heads really be enough to match that?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Does a kenne bell need forged internals or is it safe enough for a stock engine? And the ls1s dyno at some 300, will a better set of heads really be enough to match that?

A kenne bell doesn't require forged internals on low boost. limit it to 420 and you should be ok. One day I am going to put a procharger D-1sc on my 4.6. I don't plan on going over 420 hp with it. Going over 420 would cost more money than I am willing to spend on it to do it right since I have other projects to put money into. But that is just me and my priorities.

A better set of heads is a good start to catching up without a supercharger. Heads/cams/intake manifold/exhaust and you should be very happy with the car. A good gear ratio helps tons also.

You can choose any car and make it just as fast as another. Especially with moderate power goals like under 450. Every car has its pros/cons. None of your options are total crap options. Every one is good in its own right. Which styling do you prefer? F-body or mustang?

I will give you a little bit of perspective. I have a bullitt which has the PI motor, plus different intake manifold, throttle body, and under drive pulleys among other things from factory. I only added a cold air intake, exhaust (stock headers), aluminum drive shaft, short throw shifter, e-mail tune, lowering springs, and M/T et street tires and I can run a 13.4 all day at the track in the middle of summer at a not so good DA (density altitude). I have since added a few things but haven't gone back to the track but expect to see 12.9-13.0. Haven't even touched the motor. Never dynoed it but I prob put down 270ish rwhp on a good day. The cars are no slouches by any means and you don't need huge hp number to go fast.

Last edited:

kewlstory

Established Member
A kenne bell doesn't require forged internals on low boost. limit it to 420 and you should be ok. One day I am going to put a procharger D-1sc on my 4.6. I don't plan on going over 420 hp with it. Going over 420 would cost more money than I am willing to spend on it to do it right since I have other projects to put money into. But that is just me and my priorities.

A better set of heads is a good start to catching up without a supercharger. Heads/cams/intake manifold/exhaust and you should be very happy with the car. A good gear ratio helps tons also.

You can choose any car and make it just as fast as another. Especially with moderate power goals like under 450. Every car has its pros/cons. None of your options are total crap options. Every one is good in its own right. Which styling do you prefer? F-body or mustang?

I will give you a little bit of perspective. I have a bullitt which has the PI motor, plus different intake manifold, throttle body, and under drive pulleys among other things from factory. I only added a cold air intake, exhaust (stock headers), aluminum drive shaft, short throw shifter, e-mail tune, lowering springs, and M/T et street tires and I can run a 13.4 all day at the track in the middle of summer at a not so good DA (density altitude). I have since added a few things but haven't gone back to the track but expect to see 12.9-13.0. Haven't even touched the motor. Never dynoed it but I prob put down 270ish rwhp on a good day. The cars are no slouches by any means and you don't need huge hp number to go fast.

I've liked the new edge Mustang A LOT every since I was a kid and I first saw the new ones back in 99. But the t tops on a camaro look sooooo sexy. I'm guessing that the mustangs have a lot of nice looking aftermarket headlights (leds?)? It's a small thing but I want to make the car look both nice and unique. Stylingwise the Mustang looks better all around but I feel the camaro has that presence. Also, exhaust note. 4.6 or LT1? Opinions? I kinda like the 4.6 when it roars but the LT1 is just as loud

blacksheep-1

Established Member
I've liked the new edge Mustang A LOT every since I was a kid and I first saw the new ones back in 99. But the t tops on a camaro look sooooo sexy. I'm guessing that the mustangs have a lot of nice looking aftermarket headlights (leds?)? It's a small thing but I want to make the car look both nice and unique. Stylingwise the Mustang looks better all around but I feel the camaro has that presence. Also, exhaust note. 4.6 or LT1? Opinions? I kinda like the 4.6 when it roars but the LT1 is just as loud

Like I said, I've owned every f-body there is, so let me give you some advice. If you like t-tops, just go find a vise, put your nizzuts in it and start turning the handle.. Those are the biggest turds ever created for automobiles. not only do they leak like a sieve but they take so much structure out of the car and create so many squeaks and rattles that anyone who owns a car with those needs to stab themselves in the chest because it would make them feel better.

The guy with the Bullet above has the right idea and is another , relatively, low cost option to a GT, that performs better. I bet if he tossed in a gear it would easily be in the 12s

Last edited:

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
styling and exhaust preference is going to vary person to person. They both can sound great but its hard to beat a mustangs true dual exhaust. They both have big aftermarket presence on everything. Just look around at different online stores and see whats out there for both.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
The guy with the Bullet above has the right idea and is another , relatively, low cost option to a GT, that performs better. I bet if he tossed in a gear it would easily be in the 12s

lol I actually just did gears last year. Just haven't gone to the track yet since my transmission needs rebuilt.

kewlstory

Established Member
Like I said, I've owned every f-body there is, so let me give you some advice. If you like t-tops, just go find a vise, put your nizzuts in it and start turning the handle.. Those are the biggest turds ever created for automobiles. not only do they leak like a sieve but they take so much structure out of the car and create so many squeaks and rattles that anyone who owns a car with those needs to stab themselves in the chest because it would make them feel better.

Lol thanks for the advice :D

So t tops are a pita. I guess this is starting to convince me to join the Mustang corral. Theres a cool looking hood scoop on some new edge gts, im guessing it came with the Platinum edition or the later model years? Its the one thatsticks out. Its looks rly nice from inside when driving the thing. Is it functional like on a mach 1 or is it just there for decoration?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Lol thanks for the advice :D

So t tops are a pita. I guess this is starting to convince me to join the Mustang corral. Theres a cool looking hood scoop on some new edge gts, im guessing it came with the Platinum edition or the later model years? Its the one thatsticks out. Its looks rly nice from inside when driving the thing. Is it functional like on a mach 1 or is it just there for decoration?

its just there for decoration and came on the later models.

kewlstory

Established Member
its just there for decoration and came on the later models.

Bummer:(

Oh well, seeing people's pictures of their stangs on this forum and all your guys friendly :rolleyes: advice, I think I know what I want. One more question, do you think verts are gay (no offense to anyone?) specially with the v8?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Bummer:(

Oh well, seeing people's pictures of their stangs on this forum and all your guys friendly :rolleyes: advice, I think I know what I want. One more question, do you think verts are gay (no offense to anyone?) specially with the v8?

verts aren't gay, although it usually is portrayed as a chicks car. Verts are heavier than coupes due to the extra bracing required underneath, still not as rigid as a coupe, and after a while tend to fade/leak/tear.

Users who are viewing this thread