built motor / cams / 2.9 whipple crusher power estimate

aarons04cobra

Established Member
Is there any track goals or are you just shooting for a number?
Either way, the car will be a mean sob

I was hoping to see the car hit the 9's. I know the power level is more then capable. I did want to see 4 digits on the dyno but I am also aware its not necessary for the desired track times.
I found a guy on facebook with a ported 2.9 crusher he will sell me. His set up made 874 / 916 on a stock block with arp studs.
I didn't realize the ported crusher would make that much of a difference. Thinking about pulling the trigger on it tomorrow or saturday.
What do you guys think?

Soap

Established Member
"...hoping to see the car hit the 9's"???

If the car is setup at all to go down the track you should be closer to 8's making that kind of power.

--Joe

aarons04cobra

Established Member
"...hoping to see the car hit the 9's"???

If the car is setup at all to go down the track you should be closer to 8's making that kind of power.

--Joe

The car is set up decently but it is not drag specific car by any means. I run a built t56 so 8s will probably be tough haha.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
My friend has a very similar build as you.

5.3 stroker bullet custom cams and ported heads. Stock compression

He made 750 on e85 with 3.0 upper only.

700 on 93 with a 3.0.

He is on these boards. Maybe he will chime in. I know he wanted to up the boost a bit and hit 800. I'll mention this thread to him.

GodStang

Established Member
What in the world is a ported 2.9L? You can't port a Twinscrew like you can a Roots. Are you talking about just the crusher inlet is ported? The intake on all the TS if you add a bigger loop and port it out can see very nice gains.

I was hoping to see the car hit the 9's. I know the power level is more then capable. I did want to see 4 digits on the dyno but I am also aware its not necessary for the desired track times.
I found a guy on facebook with a ported 2.9 crusher he will sell me. His set up made 874 / 916 on a stock block with arp studs.
I didn't realize the ported crusher would make that much of a difference. Thinking about pulling the trigger on it tomorrow or saturday.
What do you guys think?

aarons04cobra

Established Member
What in the world is a ported 2.9L? You can't port a Twinscrew like you can a Roots. Are you talking about just the crusher inlet is ported? The intake on all the TS if you add a bigger loop and port it out can see very nice gains.

I was unsure of this as well lol. Check it out in the cobra parts for sale section on facebook.
I just got off the phone with pete at performance dyno and he said he has never heard of these kind of numbers off a stock block with a 2.9. That being said, I am going to pass on that one and grab the new one Saturday morning

The porting you described above doesn't sound like it would be very difficult to have my machine shop do before install. ?

Pete did agree that we will be well into the 800 s on e85 with the motor set up.

Made a lot of progress on the chassis today. Got the scott rod panels in and the engine bay prepped for paint. Tomorrow is body filling and sanding. Then paint coming Saturday :)

Hoping to get the motor back in before the end of the month.

Last edited:

aarons04cobra

Established Member
My friend has a very similar build as you.

5.3 stroker bullet custom cams and ported heads. Stock compression

He made 750 on e85 with 3.0 upper only.

700 on 93 with a 3.0.

He is on these boards. Maybe he will chime in. I know he wanted to up the boost a bit and hit 800. I'll mention this thread to him.

Hopefully he chimes in and can talk a little more about his set up. Would definitely like to hear about it.

Benson81

Established Member
I have only seen that power with mod motors going turbo but sometimes the right components and tuner can make miracles. Did you already buy the whipple? VMP Seems to put down nasty power I prefer over whipple but this is just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

aarons04cobra

Established Member
I have only seen that power with mod motors going turbo but sometimes the right components and tuner can make miracles. Did you already buy the whipple? VMP Seems to put down nasty power I prefer over whipple but this is just my opinion.

I like VMP blowers but I dont want to waste half the summer waiting on getting the new 2.6L

How much more power will the 2.9 crusher make over a KB 2.8H?

Not sure. I just don't personally like the looks of a KB

maxrider

Established Member
Yea I like the kB look better plus it’s not cast. Looks like a more expensive piece to me. But it don’t matter what they look like if they put down the numbers

GodStang

Established Member

TS > TVS. Stick with a 2.9L Crusher or bigger.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Like others pointed out the low compression unfortunately will keep you away from that 1000 whp mark on a PD blower. Considering you have a 5.3 you'll be plenty strong though and get somewhat close. A little bit of nitrous on top of that will get you there.

For future reference when shooting for big HP with a tiny mod motor and PD blower compression is your friend. The difference is day and night. It'll need octane though so if you're wanting a pump gas tune as well then plan on it been a pump gas / torco mix.

aarons04cobra

Established Member
Nice man Keep us updated with pics and progress of the build!

Will do. Finishing the paint on the engine bay tomorrow as well. Will try to get some pictures uploaded of the progress so far. :)

Like others pointed out the low compression unfortunately will keep you away from that 1000 whp mark on a PD blower. Considering you have a 5.3 you'll be plenty strong though and get somewhat close. A little bit of nitrous on top of that will get you there.

For future reference when shooting for big HP with a tiny mod motor and PD blower compression is your friend. The difference is day and night. It'll need octane though so if you're wanting a pump gas tune as well then plan on it been a pump gas / torco mix.

For my pump gas tune I was intending on using torco. No worries there.
I wish i had asked these questions a few months ago, but too late i guess. I would say I will up the compression next time around but I'm hoping that is not for a very long time "hence the low compression" lol

I may consider the spray but I am going to get the car dynoed and first and see how well it drives with the new set up.

Excited to show all my hard work off at mustang week this year

D-MANN

Established Member
I would ask the same about my setup

It's sleeved 5.3 v3 block 9.4:1 billet I beam stg3 livernois heads and cams . 3.2 kenne bell

It's supposed to be tuned last month but unfortunately some issues happened with the engine and I shipped it back to livernois . I think within weeks it will be back.

It will be tune in low boost pump gas and hight boost c16.

If every thing good I will go with proefi to put some safe strategy and more control. Already have the kit

Thanks

Excellent build. Not cheap by any means. Let us know how the KB 3.2 works out. Not many run this blower so very interested in seeing how it performs with your set up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread