built motor / cams / 2.9 whipple crusher power estimate

aarons04cobra

Established Member
AED did a 5.0 stroker, 10:5 compression, stock bore teksid. Custom cams, ported heads, it made 980rwhp SAE.. and well into the 1k range on pump E85.. On C85 it made 1000rwhp SAE.. So it has been done.. Again with .3 more displacement and less heads and probably not as good of cams you aren't going to get close.. Also that was a 2.9 crusher on a 3.0" pulley and stock lower.. So it's got more in it..
My suggestion: cancel the order on the 8.5 pistons and go 10:5..

Its too late to change compression unless i want to pull the motor apart again :(

gt347mustang

Established Member
Either change your setup or expectations. Unfortunately emotional value adds neither horsepower nor value to a car.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I went with the same compression cause I plan on throwing a lot of boost at it with pump gas/alky. but my combo supports it with Turbo cams, ported heads and sheet metal intake.

If u want to make that kinda power on pump 93 u will need to go Turbo but u will also need to run methanol. Although the new Gen 3 VMP blower will probably get u close but not on pump gas.

Forget the higher compression pistons unless u plan on using a blower. There is no E85 here in CT either so thats simply a race tune for most ppl cause it just isn't available in most areas.

aarons04cobra

Established Member
Now that you know your goals are unrealistic what do you plan to change?

I'm unsure at this time. I really don't want to dig back into the motor to change compression and frankly I don't mind having the peace if mind of running a low compression motor either. If I had asked these questions a month ago I probably would have run a bit more compression.

I have never experimented with spray personally. So I don't know how comfortable I am with throwing a 100 - 150 shot at the car on top of everything else.

I know the car will be an absolute handful on the street even at 800 rwhp. But I would still very much like to get my 4 digit dyno sheet.

Any suggestions as to how I can make that happen without changing my CR?

gt347mustang

Established Member
I'm unsure at this time. I really don't want to dig back into the motor to change compression and frankly I don't mind having the peace if mind of running a low compression motor either. If I had asked these questions a month ago I probably would have run a bit more compression.

I have never experimented with spray personally. So I don't know how comfortable I am with throwing a 100 - 150 shot at the car on top of everything else.

I know the car will be an absolute handful on the street even at 800 rwhp. But I would still very much like to get my 4 digit dyno sheet.

Any suggestions as to how I can make that happen without changing my CR?

Like you eluded to, nitrous is the only way. A nice setup that injects after the blower will get you there.

Personally I'd finish it up and see how it feels at 800. If you still need more throw some spray at it.

aarons04cobra

Established Member
Like you eluded to, nitrous is the only way. A nice setup that injects after the blower will get you there.

Personally I'd finish it up and see how it feels at 800. If you still need more throw some spray at it.

I'm sure 800 rw will be plenty entertaining for the street. I'll probably just leave it how it is and see what she puts down.
I assuming I will have some traction issues to address before I can turn it up anymore anyway

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
There is another option won't give you that 4 digit dyno sheet. But my car makes 860rwhp.. it's PLENTY for the street and the track.. I'm confident I can knock down some 1000rwhp cars as well. The other option is dropping weight in the car.. My car is in the low 32xx range to high 31xx range..

aarons04cobra

Established Member
There is another option won't give you that 4 digit dyno sheet. But my car makes 860rwhp.. it's PLENTY for the street and the track.. I'm confident I can knock down some 1000rwhp cars as well. The other option is dropping weight in the car.. My car is in the low 32xx range to high 31xx range..

Im not sure what my car weights but it should be fairly light in comparison to a stock cobra. Car has tubular K member and control arms. AC deleted. SRA swap etc etc. Not sure what that would equate to weight wise.

aarons04cobra

Established Member
It’s likely pretty light. You’re gonna more traction issues than anything else

What would you estimate as to how much it weighs?

I'm doing as much as i can to balance the weight but other then relocating the battery to the trunk and removing as much as possible from the engine bay, I'm not sure how else I can disperse it

Last edited:

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
How much power was the car prior?

Even staying at 8.5/1 and no spray.....the car is going to be an ANIMAL on the E85 setup. Your friend will be looking down smiling no doubt when you rip on it.

aarons04cobra

Established Member
How much power was the car prior?

Even staying at 8.5/1 and no spray.....the car is going to be an ANIMAL on the E85 setup. Your friend will be looking down smiling no doubt when you rip on it.

This car previously only made a hair over 500 rwhp. Its a BIG step up for this car to say the least haha

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
You're going to already have your hands full lol. I went from 600rwhp to 860rwhp and the car got way lighter and I'm still adjusting.. Be safe lol

aarons04cobra

Established Member
You're going to already have your hands full lol. I went from 600rwhp to 860rwhp and the car got way lighter and I'm still adjusting.. Be safe lol

This isn’t my first high horsepower experiment. But nothing within 100 hp of this one lol. I figured it would be a handful. Should keep things interesting lol

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread