Build Thread

stradt03

Established Member
if its built properly and you have a solid tune, youll be fine.

Thanks for the reassurance. Fastlane Motorsports down here in North Carolina is building it. They've built some serious cars so I'm going to put my faith in Melvin and Caleb and let them work their magic.

Some other small updates....
IMAG1839_zps6ki46idd.jpg

IMAG1706_zps57pdzxix.jpg

IMAG2022_zpsf8pol76n.jpg

IMAG1850_zpsrrcc5txa.jpg

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
I think one of the main issues with cap walk is the 2 bolt caps.. They have meat for 4 bolts on the caps and I would recommend doing it.. The cap walk didn't destroy my boss block but when we pulled it apart it was def there.

There was a article on the boss block when it came out and if I remember correctly they said that up to a certain hp they recommend drilling and tapping for the 4 bolt caps.. Might be something worth looking into.
I also remember reading about machining for 4-bolt mains. But there was concern that it actually weakens things due to the additional material removal. There were other issues associated with doing that but I can't remember what. I agree that if it is built correctly, it should be fine. They have been shown to handle some large power.

Daywalker

Established Member
Damn, threads like this always remind me that I need a better paying job.....

:nonono:

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
The cap walk happens under detonation in any motor, however when you go past 1krwhp the boss blocks tend to walk a little bit on their own. That is just part of having a 2 bolt main. If you are going to have a street tune that's 600-700rwhp and then only turn it on kill from time to time it won't be an issue. If you want to drag race this thing all the time I imagine it will start to walk eventually. IIRC there is a company that used some billet main caps that JPC sold but I decided to just go with a teksid shortblock instead of a boss because I got a good deal on the parts. Plus the head gaskets on the boss are nutty expensive! lol. Killer build man!

stradt03

Established Member
The cap walk happens under detonation in any motor, however when you go past 1krwhp the boss blocks tend to walk a little bit on their own. That is just part of having a 2 bolt main. If you are going to have a street tune that's 600-700rwhp and then only turn it on kill from time to time it won't be an issue. If you want to drag race this thing all the time I imagine it will start to walk eventually. IIRC there is a company that used some billet main caps that JPC sold but I decided to just go with a teksid shortblock instead of a boss because I got a good deal on the parts. Plus the head gaskets on the boss are nutty expensive! lol. Killer build man!

This is spot on, my goal is to have a street tune that is 700-800 rwhp then a kill tune that tickles 1000. I was thinking about this last night and aren't the 03/04 Cobra iron blocks all 2 bolt caps? There seem to be a good number of them out there running big numbers and I rarely hear about cap walk.

stradt03

Established Member
Well, Wilwood lies....I don't see any possible way their rear big brake kit can clear a set of 17" wheels.

Out with the AFS 03 replicas with Nitto 555r and in with the Saleens with R888 rubber

IMAG2238_zpslz5vznrq.jpg

IMAG2235_zpsiu0jnk9w.jpg

IMAG2242_zpsgglgcckm.jpg

stradt03

Established Member
While I'm waiting for Fastlane Motorsports to finish up my engine, I decided to get the twins coated. The turbine side is ceramic coated and the compressor side is powder coated. Also had the cold side piping powder coated flat black

IMAG2531_zps4riblora.jpg

IMAG2534_zpsrzsqqauf.jpg

IMAG2530_zps6kauywgo.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread