Build Quality

stanger1

Established Member
Groups,
As I, like others maybe, ponder the thought of trading my 2013 Shelby for a 2017+ GT Mustang and putting a blower or turbo on it, with all the needed additions to handle the power, I noticed something on the newer Stangs.
Lot was closed yesterday, so I was able to spend some time just looking at a 2017 Mustang GT and the small things, like gaps in the door panels, how the Hood lines up, side to side and the sheet metal gap inside the doors at the back edge.
All I can say is my 2013 Shelby Quality is way superior to this one 17 Mustang I was looking at.
I know the potential performance of the new Mustang is excellent, but build quality is far better with the S197's. Granted, they had many years to get it right.
The way everything fits, the way the doors sound and feel when you close them, etc.
I think I will keep my Shelby.
Even though, that Grabber Blue Mustang GT looked really good.

manny231988

Established Member
Those new Gt mustangs are nice I had 2015 comp orange Gt with recaros that I traded in for my 2013 gt500 and have never missed the Gt, quality control now a days is getting harder to find from a manufacturer as they are all trying to find ways to cut costs some way or another leaving us the consumer trying to get shit fixed by the dealer, but quality control is lacking all around I'm in the heavy construction side and quality control has gone down in the past 5 years big time. Haha sorry got off topic but I feel like my Shelby is a keeper.

stanger1

Established Member
You lost me at "trade 2013 Shelby for 2017 GT."
Love that answer. I really like my 2013 Shelby too. I see the new colors and I get to thinking, what If!
My Shelby is Black on Black, and is dusty 3 minutes after i detail it, which is every weekend in the Summer time.
I really like the Silver in the pic above.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I love mine. Get thumbs up every single time i drive it and tons of comments.

I like the car.. really do. But blind allegiance is not my thing. Gotta give respect where its due.

Truth is, '17 build quality is in fact lacking BUT-- you can build a 9 sec car that will go 145 mph for CHEAP on the s550 platform.

Getting a GT500 to go 145 mph is a tall order. Not saying it cant be done, because obviously it can, but the Coyote makes it easy.

The 15+ Coyote motor is superior to the 5.4/5.8 in many areas ...belting out horsepower is one of them.

Last edited:

Clemson

Established Member
You can make anything fast. If thats all there is to it for you, then, great. I personally like having something you dont see 100 of every day. Which also happens to be the most powerful production vehicle Ford has ever made. Which also happens to be the best looking mustang ford has ever made - Unless youre a millennial and dig the 15+ cars ;)

Last edited:

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Fair enough.. you like exclusivity. I can understand that.

I would agree the 13/14 mustang is the best body on a mustang. More specifically, the 13/14 GT500 is/was the pinnacle in the looks dept. Nothing comes close IMO.

The '15 has grown on me... definitely not as muscular looking as the s197, but it can be made to look good.

Sinultros

Unnaturally Aspirated
Established Member
The 15+ Coyote motor is superior to the 5.4/5.8 in many areas ...belting out horsepower is one of them.

That's debatable, considering it's possible to top 1000rwhp with the stock TVS on a 5.8L, and much more with twin screws + the current fastest 1/2 mile mustang is a 2015 GT with a twin turbo 5.8L. In the end, it really boils down to who is willing to spend more $$.

I do agree that 2011+ GTs are a better platform for drag racing. Lighter weight, auto trans option, more aggressive gear ratio, etc. 13/14 GT500s seem to suit 1/2+ mile racing more. My 3 cents.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
You lost me at "trade 2013 Shelby for 2017 GT."
...my Shelby is a keeper.
Why do you even own a Shelby? All I ever see you do is hate on them.
You can make anything fast. If thats all there is to it for you, then, great. I personally like having something you dont see 100 of every day. Which also happens to be the most powerful production vehicle Ford has ever made. Which also happens to be the best looking mustang ford has ever made - Unless youre a millennial and dig the 15+ cars ;)
+1 to all of this.

My Shelby is Black on Black, and is dusty 3 minutes after i detail it, which is every weekend in the Summer time.
I feel your Black on Black pain but, for me, it's not enough to even consider dumping the car, especially in favor of an S550. The weather let me drive it to work today and, in spite of the pollen/dust on it (despite having detailed it Saturday for a Sunday car show) and the lousy day I had at work, I had a smile on my face all the way to/from the office.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
That's debatable, considering it's possible to top 1000rwhp with the stock TVS on a 5.8L, and much more with twin screws + the current fastest 1/2 mile mustang is a 2015 GT with a twin turbo 5.8L. In the end, it really boils down to who is willing to spend more $$.

I do agree that 2011+ GTs are a better platform for drag racing. Lighter weight, auto trans option, more aggressive gear ratio, etc. 13/14 GT500s seem to suit 1/2+ mile racing more. My 3 cents.

Don't think ive ever seen a stock block 5.8 with a stock TVS make 1000whp. Not saying it hasn't happened... just saying ive never seen it. Link? Are you talking about adding nitrous or all boost? I would venture to say this would be a unicorn type of car, if it even exists, and it doesn't make much sense to argue a point with the exception. No way in hell id trust a trinity over 800 for long.. much less a thousand. Would rather have the iron block condor in that situation, but different topic I guess.

Speaking of exceptions... the RULE I would argue is far more in favor of the 15+ coyote motor belting out more HP easier and more efficiently than the trinity or condor. This is well documented and really not work arguing.

Also, stay away from the 11-14 coyotes.. their fragile rods give up the ghost around 700-750. The 15+ motors are the ones with the stout boss 302 rods.

Users who are viewing this thread