Budget Performance Sedan

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Weird, I test drove then back to back and felt the dash, stereo, and available options were pathetic. Typical Pontiac crap.

88aebaa32b147afd88dd163a31eae7d2.jpg
9127f0aefc6a648c5cef49cf00317707.jpg

They are both atrocious, it's like two bums fighting over who's underpass has better ambience.

einehund

Established Member
Why no Cobra? I don't understand this. I had a car seat in the back of the Shelby for the whole time the kiddo needed it. Yes, ingress and egress are a bit confined, but it is still just a car and has latch points for kid's seat. it is not like a 3 foot tall little person needs leg room. Just my 2 cents.

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
Why no Cobra? I don't understand this. I had a car seat in the back of the Shelby for the whole time the kiddo needed it. Yes, ingress and egress are a bit confined, but it is still just a car and has latch points for kid's seat. it is not like a 3 foot tall little person needs leg room. Just my 2 cents.

I'd agree with this if not for the first 2 years of the child's life that he/she needs to be rear facing. It doesn't work in the Cobra if you want the passenger in the front to ride comfortably, I don't care how many people try to say otherwise.

When I had my first son, we tried to get all 3 of us in the Cobra at the same time. To get the infant carrier to the correct/safe position, my wife had to be so close to the dash, that not only was it incredibly uncomfortable, in my opinion it was unsafe.

However, once you are able to switch the child to front facing, you should have no problem.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Certified SHO might be in that range.

Mileage according to some posters isn't that great, per it's ratings, but it's a big sedan with some pep.
Those 3.5 engines wake up with a tune.

Beavis281

Established Member
I just had a charger RT last week as a rental. It had gobs of power. Roomy. Big touch screen. Damn near brand new. Had 6k miles.

Only thing I didn't like was the drone of the exhaust while cruising. It sounded good, some others might love it. Just not for me in a big sedan like that.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
So ironically, I will be that guy that has to say it.

Kids are nasty (I love kids). You will get a combination of poop, throw up, pee, food, and other unknown fluids/solids spread throughout a car. Why anyone wants to buy extremely nice cars to carry their kids around in, is beyond me.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
Charger or SHO.

However, where are you finding 12-14 SRT8's for 25k with under 50k?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I would recommend that you look at a 2015-2017 (2nd Gen) Ford Edge. I have a 2016 Edge Sport and absolutely love it. The EcoBoost 2.7 V-6 has plenty of power (315hp, 350tq), and plenty of room. Quality, conveniences, features are exceptional. I thought of buying a sedan, but after driving the Edge I quickly realized it was a better choice since it has a lot more storage space. The Explorer Sport is a great SUV, but if you don't need a 3rd row of seating, IMO the Edge Sport is a better choice. Just food for thought.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I would recommend that you look at a 2015-2017 (2nd Gen) Ford Edge. I have a 2016 Edge Sport and absolutely love it. The EcoBoost 2.7 V-6 has plenty of power (315hp, 350tq), and plenty of room. Quality, conveniences, features are exceptional. I thought of buying a sedan, but after driving the Edge I quickly realized it was a better choice since it has a lot more storage space. The Explorer Sport is a great SUV, but if you don't need a 3rd row of seating, IMO the Edge Sport is a better choice. Just food for thought.

I would agree, just tough to find a 15+ Sport around 25k and under 50k miles. At least in my area +/- 500 miles.
I see some left over 16's, brand new, in the lower 30's.

The 13/14 sports are in the 15-25k bracket but are N/A and have 70lb less torque.

Never_Enough

Established Member
You can get a Chevy SS now in the $25k area. The SHO or 335 get my vote from your list

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I'd go Charger or SHO. SHO is easier to tune, Dodge's seem to require a 2nd PCM to be unlocked? Or so that has been my experience.

If you stretch your budget a little I'm sure you could find a 2009-11 CTSV.

DJAMiller

Established Member

Kids are nasty (I love kids). You will get a combination of poop, throw up, pee, food, and other unknown fluids/solids spread throughout a car. Why anyone wants to buy extremely nice cars to carry their kids around in, is beyond me.

I agree, If I were you I'd skip out on a nice sedan for now and consider getting something with a roof rack to mount the child seat on. That way you can simply hose the car down after any mess.

kaz109

Established Member
I think a srt8 would be the best option out of those choices. Though I think would would have to stretch your budget slightly to get the latest gen under 50k miles.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
First - congrats on the good news!

Lincoln MKS EcoBoost. SHO but more refined.

Or throw out your 2010+ requirement and find a nice clean low mileage Marauder. They are great cars and family friendly.

I like the way this guy is thinking! I have a 2012 MKS EcoBoost with the LMS tune (3-bar, thermostat, plugs). I bought my LMS MyCal tuner used, paid the fee to have it locked to my car ($300) and the other stuff new for a total of $610. Moves out extremely well and very comfortable on a few 6hr road trips I've taken. Mine has the EcoBoost Appearance Package so it looks less grandpa like (all trim painted body color, no wood trim inside, blacked headlights, etc). Here's mine with 20% tint all around.

2016-09-05_203258600_654D9_iOS_zps2zhs545r.jpg

bigja01cobra

Established Member
SRT all the way. Hard to find them under 29K with less miles. I have 2013 300 SRT with 70k dealer offered me 27k on trade for it... so I will assume they are going to market it around 30K.

Mods are exploding on the SRTs now that HP tuners is in the game with trans tuning included. Save an additional 1300-1500 for corsa extreme catback the car is too quiet with out it and with the exhaust it isn't loud when normal driving.

DiB14-SAFD

Established Member
As much as I would enjoy the Cobra I need something the wife can drive right now. After I upgrade the daily I will start putting aside money for another toy.

That is the one area that has me concerned about the SRT8 Charger. Not sure how those suede seats will hold up to even occasional kid abuse. The SHO on the other hand has full leather and could easily be wiped down/vacuumed.
Charger or SHO.

However, where are you finding 12-14 SRT8's for 25k with under 50k?
Not finding many but there are a few. Gonna go test drive one tomorrow with a touch over 50k that is listed at 26k.

You can get a Chevy SS now in the $25k area. The SHO or 335 get my vote from your list
I like the SS but I haven't seen any close to my price range.

As far as the people suggesting SUV's there are two reasons I don't want one.
1. Wife already has a grand Cherokee which is the main vehicle we use when we go anywhere and would be the main child transport.
2. I am a firefighter and occasionally have to carry my gear around when I go to different stations. I can deal with the nastiness that comes with that but I want to try to minimize the kids exposure, hence the isolated trunk space.

Users who are viewing this thread