Broke a rod. Does this look salvageable?

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
Well 9.62 was the breaking point apparently. At the cost of a new bare block does repair and sleeving look like an option. What differences besides weight and oil squirters are there between iron and aluminum blocks.

260AD7C7-C41E-4BD8-9B4C-A8637C3EC18E_zpsbluxmegz.jpg

5867B852-F48B-475D-ABB9-36C1C43170D4_zpslxixtqy3.jpg

3D32093A-CC3B-46BA-A367-A3497ACB277F_zpshd4o5x2y.jpg

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
No way, that block has been structurally compromised, time for a new block.

yellow03cobra

Established Member
interested in the detail if you care to share. Looks like an upper and lower with cams on e85 or race fuel? I keep wanting to go this route but I keep reading threads like this.

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
No I'm not taking a piss with the question. I'll let you know what the machine shop says today. It looks bad but somehow it missed almost every structural area. It's aluminum. I've seen some amazing work done to heads that were beaten to hell from broken valves.

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
I didn't have cams anymore. 3.4 whipple 25 lbs of boost, ms109 fuel and all supporting mods. I also have a 6r80 swap in the car. Car just overpowered the shit rods.

gt347mustang

Established Member
I didn't have cams anymore. 3.4 whipple 25 lbs of boost, ms109 fuel and all supporting mods. I also have a 6r80 swap in the car. Car just overpowered the shit rods.

Shit rods huh? They went designed to put up with 25lbs of boost. You missed one major supporting mod(or should i say 8 lol).

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
I didn't miss shit. Ford put Manley rods in the terminator models and shit rods in a 70k premium mustang. I asked a simple question. let's try to stay on topic.

gt347mustang

Established Member
I didn't miss shit. Ford put Manley rods in the terminator models and shit rods in a 70k premium mustang. I asked a simple question. let's try to stay on topic.

No need to get your panties in a bunch. Just pointing out you chose to run an aggressive setup knowing the risks and it came apart.

For the block I would recommend against reusing it. Go aluminum if budget allows. I would also suggest an upgraded rod/piston combo to support your other mods.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member

There could be microcracking and you wouldn't find them until back together making power. That would be a very expensive redo. I thought the stock wrist pins were only good until around 800-850.

Hourigan218

Established Member
I would not risk using the same block as well. I don't know what hp you were putting down but 25 psi is a bit much for the stock lower. This is exactly why I'm having new rods and pistons put in, I'm only at 15 psi and 730 to the wheels but wanting cams a trying to get to 800hp so I'll rebuild before hand. Now with that being said there is still no guarantee that the engine will hold but the odds are better. Supposedly the block with the spray bore will handle up to 1100 whp.

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Sorry man. That block is toast. Any builder that tells you different is just trying to make a buck off of you. In the end, it is your money, do what you want.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I have my stock 04 Cobra block just sitting waiting for me to get off of my ass and turn it into something.

Users who are viewing this thread