Breather System smoking? What's wrong here...

BlownVenom01

Boost > NA
Established Member
So like i posted about before, my car seems to emit a light wispy smoke at a dead stop out of the hood vents. When I check under the hood, the only place that's emitting any smoke at all is the k&n breathers the previous owner used to replace the PCV system (don't know why). But it still doesn't seem like enough smoke to be noticeable outside the car like it is.

Is it normal for breather filters to smoke like that on a cool day at operating temp? If not, what could be causing that... I just changed the oil not 200 miles ago.

BlownVenom01

Boost > NA
Established Member
enough to be noticeable at a stoplight from inside the car? like is it just the hot oil meeting the cool air making the "smoke?"

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Is it smoke or steam vapor?

Either way, yes, my breathers used to smoke as well (I now have a catch can).

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
i have breathers on my 66 mustang and it smokes a little while driving/idle at stoplight. Also i dont have baffled valve covers, and some of the oil drips down and gets on the header tubes and smokes quite a bit. That maybe happening to you:shrug:

BlownVenom01

Boost > NA
Established Member
Is it smoke or steam vapor?

Either way, yes, my breathers used to smoke as well (I now have a catch can).

honestly it's sporadic. I was just driving it today and after a little bit of romping, i pulled to a light and I might just be paranoid but it seemed like more smoke then a breather system. It's also very noticeable at night with the headlights on coming out by them (i have HIDs), but like i said when i pop the hood it only seems like minimal smoke out of the breather.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Something else... when I used to run breathers and ran it hard, the oil mist from the breathers would allow a fine film of oil to get down on the header on the passenger side and on the top of the X pipe behind the driver's head.

This is the odds.

Cool day will also make it seem worse.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I've had the K&N Breathers on both valve covers for a month now with Zero smoke,smell, oil leaks or any other problems, I spray their oil on the gauze and wrap mine with sweatbands!

svtcobra048.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread