Brand new 2012 coming in for few mods and a big ass turbo

CPRsm

Here a what is in my GT500. Similar will be in this build, the white car. We'll try out the A/A unit as well to see how far we can push it. But as of right now she is getting a small A/W unit like the 500 did. There will be no heat exchanger used as they are not necessary.

icandtank001.jpg

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
The steering wheel idea is ****ing awesome, big props on that one. looks like things are coming together nicely.

CPRsm

Love to take the credit on that one. But he uses the same controller with remote buttons on his turbo busa(crazy bastard lol). So he just decided to use another wheel instead of trying to mount the buttons somewhere else.

What brand name turbo are you gonna run?
Sorry missed this. It's a BW.

Last edited:

D.T.R

Established Member
The steering wheel idea is ****ing awesome, big props on that one. looks like things are coming together nicely.
x2
Love to take the credit on that one. But he uses the same controller with remote buttons on his turbo busa(crazy bastard lol). So he just decided to use another wheel instead of trying to mount the buttons somewhere else.

Sorry missed this. It's a BW.

BW eh... do they make any EFR big enough for this? Those EFR turbos are pretty neat.

CPRsm

Eh ? lol. Love that stigma. We'll change that. Those EFR's are the shit. I think they make them big enough, but this isn't one. I will put this one against any base model turbo on the market for this car. This larger frame has a bigger bell mouth, larger turbine and larger down pipe (4in). This isn't your standard of the shelf cast wheeled S400 diesel turbo. It is a performance built billet wheeled turbo. I could have bought twins for the cost of this custom turbo.

D.T.R

Established Member
Eh ? lol. Love that stigma. We'll change that. Those EFR's are the shit. I think they make them big enough, but this isn't one. I will put this one against any base model turbo on the market for this car. This larger frame has a bigger bell mouth, larger turbine and larger down pipe (4in). This isn't your standard of the shelf cast wheeled S400 diesel turbo. It is a performance built billet wheeled turbo. I could have bought twins for the cost of this custom turbo.

Nice.
I was going to go with the EFR 8374.... but I ended up going with a precision billet 6765. BW are great turbos and the EFRs have so much technology put into them... it's crazy.

CPRsm

This car hasn't had the turbo ordered yet. It's been spec'd though, and close to what you're wanting to see.

Random kung fu from a customers down pipes I finished this morning.

downpipes003.jpg

downpipes004.jpg

CPRsm

That's how I ROLL!!!! J/K Nah, thick stainless or a thick flange like that makes anyone look like a champ. Important thing to know when looking at any stainless is the color. The color is an indication of how hot the weld was when the gas shield was removed. The color is actually contamination. After you've passed over it, it's no big deal. IN the medical or food industry more mearsures would be taken because it would be too much. Silver would be perfect, yellow/straw acceptable. These colors are totally acceptable for this app, and so are a little darker. When you start getting grey, or black, you're F'd. The rod/material is burnt, and the weld is compromised. Carbon precipitation sets in and you can pretty much know it's going to crack.

This picture shows a decent light color at the flange to the collector on the closest headers. The collector to the primary tubing on the same one, BURNT.
Stainless is a great metal, but don't assume the fabricator knows what they are doing.

This is not my work. Only to show a burnt stainless weld.
image-82.gif

Last edited:

StevenStarke

Fast/Reliable/Cheap pick2
Established Member
Will you be bracing those turbos to support the weight? Or that schedule 40 tubing? I can't tell for sure from the pics.

CPRsm

God, that's not my work in the pic above. That was just to show what a burnt stainless weld looks like. I'm going to have to brace. The turbo it kinda heavy lol.

CPRsm

Alright so the plans are about laid out, so we can spill the beans now that most is figured out. The plan right now is to make it one of the baddest cars on the streets, in all areas.

One of the key components to the car will be the fuel system. Not many people including the customer has easy availability to E85. Not many people want to run a leaded gas because of cost, especially with these closed loop cars and potential damage to the O2's. Plus draining and switching is a pain in the ass. Play time can be limited if you are stuck on pump gas as well. So the plan is to run a secondary fuel system all together to supply E85 via another 8 injectors. This way the customer can have his cake and eat it,too. Drive around town on the stock ECU, injectors, fuel system and quite fuel pump. When it's time to get nasty, the secondary ECU will kick on the secondary fuel pump automatically. The E85 will only be used under boost, so that means better gas mileage, and no need to know where the closest stations are to plan your trips. He'll drive to a station, grab a 55 gallon or drum or two and store it at home and fill up as needed.

Even better yet all this really won't be bad compared to having to buy everything you would to convert to E85 anyways. You just need a 700 dollar Mega Squirt setup, and second tank for the E85. Injectors, pump, bigger fuel lines you would need anyways. We are going to do the same here but run it in parallel.

There are going to be safety measure built into the system thru the mega squirt and a few other things. Without the boost controller turned on, the boost will be very low on spring pressure. The boost controller power will come via a sending unit in the tank. If it has enough E85 in the tank, the boost controller will be operational. If it does not have enough E85 in the tank, there will be no chance or risking the engine to mere pump gas as the boost will only hit 6 psi.

Small overview of the parts going on.

Engine
MMR 1500
Stage 3 head and cams
Sheetmetal intake with 16 injectors

Transmission
Lentech built, no transbrake

Rear end
Probably stock gear for now. See how it does.
CPR modified 8.8
Braced, welded tubes, 9in ends with Strange
31 spline, Eaton E locker for perfect streetability.
Open rear for cruising and turning, flip a switch for the
locker when it's play time.

Suspenion
Front will be a CPR modified BMR k-member for the turbo kit.
BMR's arms will be hanging up front as well.

Rear will be autofab lower control arms and relocation brackets
with a racecraft upper arm and mount. Looking for all the adjust ability
we can get to keep this thing under control. She's gonna need it.

Fuel system
Primary will remain stock.

Secondary system
Mega squirt as a piggy back for the secondary fuel system.
Bosch 205 injectors
Custom CPR tank in the rear for the E85
Fuel pump will come on with boost, along with the A/W pump.

Powa
We've decided to hell with it and go straight for the gusto.
Custom BW GT42 based 88m turbo
JGS 50mm wastegate and BOV
A/W unit with box in the trunk.
No heat exchanger. This method is FAR superior than running one.
Without the cooler in the engine, and the pump being off driving around there
is no way to overheat the water in the tank. Testing and customer data along with mine proves it is hands down better.

Users who are viewing this thread