Brake Fluids, What Brands Are easy For You To Find?

1QuickS2

Established Member
I use mercedes benz factory fluid, very comparable to all the "top" brands and I have acess to it for free.

46-062

Established Member
I've had good luck with Motul 600. There was only a $3 difference between ATE and Motul.

I thought that if you ran out of ATE i.e. At the track, it was bad to mix with another brand. And I didn't think that was an issue with Motul. any truth to this?

I've only seen Motul 600 in 500ml bottles and Ate Super Blue / Typ 200 in one liter bottles. Are you sure it wasn't $3 more for half as much?

It is my understanding that any fluids rated DOT 3 and/or DOT 4 and/or DOT 5.1 are compatible. It's silicon fluid (DOT 5 I think) that can't be mixed and requires a full flush. But silicon fluid is only good for old classic cars.

46-062

Established Member
I use mercedes benz factory fluid, very comparable to all the "top" brands and I have acess to it for free.

Mercedes specs 331 and 331.1 brake fluid. They refer to 331 as DOT 4 Plus and 331.1 as Typ 200. I'm guessing DOT 4 Plus is Pentosin DOT 4 Plus and Typ 200 is obviously Ate.

Last edited:

Vicious805cobra

Established Member
I just did my brakes this past weekend. I flushed and filled with some motul 600, never tried the stuff, but some of my import friends swear by it so I gave it a shot. By no means was it easy for me to find :banana:

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
I don't recall the sizes.....I thought they were the same but I'll check next time.

Vicious: Most motorcycle shops carry Motul

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
How often should fluid be change, my car has sat quite a but the last 4 years and that is the last time the system was flushed

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
How often should fluid be change, my car has sat quite a but the last 4 years and that is the last time the system was flushed

You are overdue. Best case scenario, change your brake fluid every 2-3 years minimum. My car is overdue as well, and I can feel it in the pedal.

Had a 1999 Trans Am that had 5 years on the factory fill of brake fluid. It was a nasty green/black mess. The brakes felt a lot better after the flush.

46-062

Established Member

Ford lists no service interval for our Mustangs. I can't tell you why, but I do know for a fact that there is nothing special about our brake systems when compared to other manufacturers'. They all use brake fluid that naturally absorbs moisture. Moisture is bad for the components of braking systems (corrosion, break down of rubber components) and bad for performance (moisture boils at 212F, your brake pedal gets spongy or worse).

A retired Ford engineer once told me Ford designs to a minimum performance standard with eight year old fluid figuring by that time brake component will have to be replaced forcing a fluid change. That's great, but in the meantime, your system components are breaking down (why do think old fluid is so nasty looking?)

That said, many manufacturers recommend a two year flush interval. It may be 30K like Subaru, but never longer than two years regardless of mileage because fluid will absorb moisture with the car sitting in the garage.

If you use Ate Super Blue and Typ 200 brake fluid, the manufacturer claims a 50% increase in flush intervals due to the products' superior ability to keep moisture in suspension. You could go to three years. That's according to the manufacturer, Continental - Teves. 50% longer than other Ate brake fluids.

I change mine every two years and can feel the difference in brake pedal firmness every time. You might want to look at getting a Motive Power Bleeder to make it an easy, fool proof job.

If you want to be really anal, flush the system and engage ABS several times to get new fluid into the ABS module, then immediately bleed again. (I believe there are some tuners on the market that can activate the ABS module while the car is standing still.)

Stoptech brakes has a number of technical write ups on their website worth reading.

Last edited:

Vicious805cobra

Established Member
I don't recall the sizes.....I thought they were the same but I'll check next time.

Vicious: Most motorcycle shops carry Motul

You know what I never thought about going to a motor cycle shop :nonono: . I just googled motul and no hits poped up around my area. Next time I do my brakes ill head over to a cycle shop. Good looking out 76IHscoutII

wheelhopper

Established Member
I race TT and instruct with NASA. For the money I have found the Wilwood stuff works great. The boiling points are not quite as high as Motul but it is less money than Motul, ATE, or whatever else is even close. Dry boiling point is 570 wet is 284. I bleed about 5-7 pumps of fluid out of my calipers before every event so I am not as concerned with wet boiling points. I can say that I use my brakes harder than 99% of the people on this forum and this fluid works for me. My pedal has never got squishy or gone to the floor due to overheating. Try it, if you don't like it, it is simple to pump out and replace.

...and so I don't get slammed I do not sell the stuff.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I have to run DOT 5 in my off-road toy, and a good friend runs it in all his motorcycles. It is a silicone fluid that repels water instead of attracting, and therefore has a much better shelf life.

The local truck(big rig) parts store can order me 5 gallons for 150$, which comes out to 30 a gallon, which is way cheaper than anything a parts store or online retailer will sell you.

oldmodman

Established Member
Since there is a thread, but not in the fluids section, warning that ATE Super Blue is being banned by our wonderful guvmint.
I felt that I should put this back up.
They still have it in stock at OG Racing and I ordered quite a bit (just in case)
Since putting this thread up the first time I have done three complete brake system flushes with alternating ATE Gold & Blue brake fluid and am completely happy with it. I pulled apart both front calipers (four piston Brembos) and they were absolutely spotless and uncorroded inside.

So if you love the stuff too it may not be around the next time you look for it.

Braking News: ATE Super Blue Deemed Illegal for US Distribution*|*Hooniverse

Of course the rumor may just be BS but I needed the stuff anyway

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
The best street fluid is Ate Super Blue / Ate Typ 200 DOT 4. It has very good dry and wet boiling points and will last 50% longer between flushes.

I spoke with an engineer at Continental Teves (USA) and he explained that Ate Super Blue / Ate Type 200 has the ability to hold more moisture in suspension with less performance loss than any other brake fluid. This is extremely important in street applications and why you can easily extend your flush intervals. It's NOT about how little moisture brake fluid attracts, it's about how well brake fluid copes with moisture.

I buy mine from OG Racing on line for $13.95 per liter (note website says 500 ml in description. It's a 1000 ml / 1 liter metal can. They sell a lot of it so their stock is fresh.

Compare the dry and wet numbers:

536F Dry boiling point
395F Wet boiling point

This fluid exceeds Federal standards for DOT 5.1 of 518F dry and 375F wet.

Compare to Motul RBF 600 DOT 5.1

617F Dry boiling point - great for flying into Turn 9 at Willow Springs at 170MPH.
400F Wet boiling point - only 5F higher than Ate Super Blue and the only number that counts for street use.

Motul RBF 600 5.1 costs $31.95 / 500ml from OG Racing. That's $63.90 per liter vs. Ate super Blue at $13.95 per liter. Way to much for an extra 5F.

Castrol GT DOT 4:

509F Dry boiling point

311F West boiling point

Ate has an 84F higher wet boiling point than Castrol.

Super Blue and Typ 200 are the same except for color. Switch colors to know when you've bled out the old fluid. Federal requirements for brake fluid include an amber color, so technically Super Blue doesn't meet US Government standards.

Ate Super Blue /Typ 200 comes in sealed metal cans, so the shelf life of an unopened can is much better than fluid in plastic bottles.

Valvoline used to make a pretty good fluid, but downgraded the specifications. Unfortunately, the last time I checked the website, Valvoline still had the old datasheet with better numbers displayed which do not match the new lower specs on the product description.

This!!!
Ate Super Blue is my preferred track brake fluid.

However for street duty I am still using the Ford/Motorcraft PM-1-C DOT 3 fluid.

Both offer excellent performance for the purpose I use them in, and both offer great bang for the buck.

That DOT color regulation is absolutely rediculous! They require it be clear or amber so it won't be mistaken for other automotive fluids.

Really?

So what the hell color are most motor oils or generic power steering fluids?? Yeah CLEAR AND AMBER.

What morons!!!!

Do you know what the most commonly used WRONG FLUID was when we had a car come in with no brakes after the owner or owner's boy friend put wrong stuff in the master cylinder????

That's right! OIL! Amber colored oil or power steering fluid.

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
How could I fail as an AMSOIL representative without ever buying any AMSOIL products? Do you even bother reading the quotes you quote?

My biggest problem with AMSOIL is representatives who use anecdotal evidence as proof of product superiority and AMSOIL not stopping them.

You might not like Amsoil's MLM setup, but they consistently produce very good to excellent products. There's more to Amsoil than their marketing for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread