Brake cooling ducts

Rusty67

Established Member
I have yet to install mine for a few reasons but I have a feeling I will have time to start working on it shortly. Can anyone recomend some sort of material to cover the entrance of the duct ? I want to make sure I don't end up with debris geting into the rotor while I'm driving down the road.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Cool, so you will offer the kit that goes into the smaller holes beside the fogs on 99/01 Cobras still correct?

Correct, Ill still offer the 3" backing plate kits.

I have yet to install mine for a few reasons but I have a feeling I will have time to start working on it shortly. Can anyone recomend some sort of material to cover the entrance of the duct ? I want to make sure I don't end up with debris geting into the rotor while I'm driving down the road.

Go to your local hardware store and get some 1/4" wire mesh. Its flexible enough that you can roughly cut it to shape and then bend the wires back around the edge of the foglight bezel. Reinstall the bezel and youre done. I painted the mesh black before I installed it on my race car and need to repaint it again. Road racing is not easy on paint!

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
... Road racing is not easy on paint!

Or screens. Mine actually got bent numerous times from gravel thrown while following cars. After a while I stopped replacing them and installed the rubber inlets instead; no consequences, but maybe I'm lucky. ;-)

Before

DSCF0005-1.gif

DSCF0003-1.gif

After

ductintake1.gif

DSCF0007.gif

SVTwhore

Established Member
Any updates on the new design? I could really use a set for my '03, I'm currently doing a bunch of brake and cooling mods to get ready for the upcoming season.

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
I've been meaning to follow up with you when we were talking on Corral, but any update on a set yet? I'm gonna be doing my front pads and a fluid flush and obviously would be the perfect time to do this while I'm in there.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Any updates on the new design? I could really use a set for my '03, I'm currently doing a bunch of brake and cooling mods to get ready for the upcoming season.

I've been meaning to follow up with you when we were talking on Corral, but any update on a set yet? I'm gonna be doing my front pads and a fluid flush and obviously would be the perfect time to do this while I'm in there.

I have two new backing plates designs done. I'm concentrating on getting the 3" open track backing plate setup done first. Theres been a lot of inquiries lately and I dont like turning customers away.

The GenIII backing plates are similar to my GenII backing plates that I sold until recently. The big improvement on the new backing plates is improved air delivery to the center of the rotor and slightly lighter weight.

The 4" race plates will require the hub to be removed to install the backing plate. Instead of using the empty hole in the foglight housing this setup will use the 4" foglight opening. The 4" backing plates are going to be made out of carbon fiber. I plan to make a set for my race car then will look at the possibility of making the 4" backing plates for sale.

Sorry there's not more to report but Ive had to do a good bit of studying of composites before taking on this task.

SeikenFreak

2 Scoops
Established Member
Hmm I'd be interested in a set as well. Having my '01 Cobra bumper put on now. Would like to use it in the holes next to the fogs.

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
Thanks for the update, please add me to "the list" for the 3" plates once you get a chance to start churning out some more. If you need a website to post info and sell them through let me know, I can get some hosting for cheap if you register the domain name.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Thanks for the update, please add me to "the list" for the 3" plates once you get a chance to start churning out some more. If you need a website to post info and sell them through let me know, I can get some hosting for cheap if you register the domain name.

That would be great. I tried a DIY website place a few years ago and failed terribly at making my own website. I dont know how I can see a part in my head and bring it to being but I cant copy and paste pics onto a website. :nonono:

:beer:

invisiblefrisbe

Praying for the unborn
Established Member
Question about the Dust shields. I'm working through the process of installing mine on the car right now. The instructions say to "lay them aside", but isn't clear if I should discard them or if I should put them back on or not. Considering that the new ducting bracket only covers about 1/3 the area that the dust shields did, I'm curious if I should cut up the dust shield and re-install them over the left over 2/3 of the area. Not sure if this would help or hinder the process of cooling the rotors.

Can you provide some guidance on this.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Toss them, they trap heat from the rotor and increase brake temps. Counter productive to what the brake cooling is trying to accomplish.

Tech tip: Remove the rear dust shields too. Theyre easier, they just bolt on.

I was cleaning up, getting things ready for production on the new plates and I found a box of 9 backing plates. So if you guys need a set, I have 9 backing plate sets that I can build and I also have 94-98 Cobra foglight adapter brackets left over too. Just pm me if you need a set.

Anthony

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
update from me. I couldn't be more happy with the product. Everything was perfect! I love the ducts! Thanks Anthony!!

cb1d839e.jpg

0103387f.jpg

147edc04.jpg

257eab9a.jpg

45616473.jpg

223f4ab1.jpg

5db072c8.jpg

red351wcobra

Established Member
Looks like a nice setup. You ran your ducts the exact same way I did on my cobra. They have been on my car for over 2 years and there aren't any signs of tearing or binding. I just check the zipties every once in awhile. You will impressed how well they cool your brakes at any track event.

Sirl

Established Member
Thought I'd take a sec and post up.
Just put a Termi bumper on my Mustang, so I had to re-do my brake cooling.

Thing is, I didnt want to use the inner hole in the fog light bezel. It seemed to me that it aims right towards the radiator support, and you have to make a hard turn in the ducting right there.
I dont have fog lights, so, I used the 4 inch fog light hole.

Here's what I did...

I got these urethane couplers "Reducers" from Race Parts Solutions.
They have several different sizes. These go from 4 to 3 inches.
Then, took a piece of 3 inch aluminum tubing,

Brake1.jpg

Brake2-1.jpg

Brake3-1.jpg

All these pieces fit together perfectly.

Then, put the 4 inch coupler on from the back, to the fog light bezel, it fits perfect, with a hose clamp

That gives you a straight shot right to where the brake hose makes the turn, into the rotor.

Brake5.jpg

Brake4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread