Bout to do a tuneup - suggestions??

Jack Burton

Established Member
Well, I recently got a bone stock (other than new tires) 2004 mystichrome. All the fluids are factory, with the exception of the engine oil (Mobile 1 with about 3k miles on it). So, I'm going to start going through the car and replacing all the fluids and such. I would like some input on the following:

Spark plugs - what have you guys have good results with running stock boost on a cobra and what have you gapped them at?

Transmission fluid - what have you guys had good results with?

Differential fluid - what have you guys had good results with?

Intercooler and coolant - Was planning on running the same fluid it came with stock, with a little redline water wetter added.

Fuel filter - I just picked up a motorcraft fuel filter and will be installing that shortly.

Any other feedback, suggestions, or comments will be appreciated.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Intercooler and coolant - Was planning on running the same fluid it came with stock, with a little redline water wetter added.
I don't recommend you add Water Wetter to a stock (50/50) antifreeze ratio, some have noticed precipitants forming in the coolant. Water Wetter is really designed to be used in lower concentrations of antifreeze or 100% water. You can read more here: 170° PERFORMANCE THERMOSTAT for Mustang Shelby GT500, Cobra, Lightning, GT & Mach 1 - Ford 4.6L 5.4L DOHC SOHC by Reische Performance Products

As far as plugs on a stock engine I'd go with NGK TR6IX and leave them at the pregap.

A lot of us have had great results running Pennzoil Synchromesh fluid in the T-56 tranny.

As far a diff fluid- Amsoil Severe gear is great stuff but pricey, M1 is good too just stay away from Royal Purple (noisy)... and don't forget the limited slip additive.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I agree with Joel our resident cooling expert, I use a 80% distilled H20 20% coolant with a bottle of Water Wetter in Florida, do about 65-35 up north.. also just us a SMALL amount of Redline in the intercooler.
1. first order of business install that Motorcraft filter and blow the sediment from the old one in a clear plastic bottle, you'll be amazed what comes out.
2. unless your changing gears or adding a new diff cover etc.. leave the fluid as is!
3. Plugs-TR-6,6IX,7IX

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
As far a diff fluid- Amsoil Severe gear is great stuff but pricey, M1 is good too just stay away from Royal Purple (noisy)... and don't forget the limited slip additive.

Royal Purple is not noisy in my car or in any of the other people's cars I know who use it.:shrug:

Was this in your car?
Was it Max Gear 75W90 or Max Gear 75W140?

I have Royal Purple from front to back in my car and have had it in since about a year after I bought it, which was long before I ever worked for Royal Purple.

In fact the Synchromax made my T56 QUIETER by a good amount.

OP I would leave the spark plugs unless you have over 60 thousand miles on them and instead spend that money on a Reische 170 Tstat and some fresh antifreeze coolant mix.

Any questions you might have about Royal Purple products please feel free to ask, either right here or in PMs.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Just one word of caution on "pre-gapped plugs". I bought a set of Denso Iridiums once for my '03 Cobra and just as a precaution checked the gap on each plug before installing them. 3 out of 8 were way off and had to be re-gapped. I don't know how commonplace this is, but if it happened even once it is grounds to double check the gap. Gaps that are not correct will only cause driveability issues. Again, not saying this is common. Just saying it happened to me.

If you do go with iridium plugs handle them carefully because it is fairly easy to damage or destroy the iridium center electrode or porcelain center. Here is some additional info. What Spark Plug To Use And How To Gap Iridium Plugs

Oh, and I agree with Jimmy about staying with the plugs you have and buying the 170 thermostat instead. You won't regret it.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
I have Royal Purple from front to back in my car and have had it in since about a year after I bought it, which was long before I ever worked for Royal Purple.
You work for Royal Purple?? :poke: I'm just not a fan of their marketing practices however I'll keep my personal experience with the product to myself then.
Just one word of caution on "pre-gapped plugs". I bought a set of Denso Iridiums once for my '03 Cobra and just as a precaution checked the gap on each plug before installing them.
Good point Bob. It's a good idea to look at each plug and make sure none of them were dropped or hit during shipping which could close up the gap. Personally none of the NGK plugs I've ever installed have been significantly out of gap but definitely a good idea to check.

Jack Burton

Established Member
You work for Royal Purple?? :poke: I'm just not a fan of their marketing practices however I'll keep my personal experience with the product to myself then.
Good point Bob. It's a good idea to look at each plug and make sure none of them were dropped or hit during shipping which could close up the gap. Personally none of the NGK plugs I've ever installed have been significantly out of gap but definitely a good idea to check.

I appreciate your input.:beer:

As far as Jimmy working for RP. From my understanding he was running RP long before he worked for them (stared this month). But, that's not my place to get involved with. I'l let him speak for himself.

Would him recommending RP be any worse than you linking the thread to your thermostat (which I plan on ordering BTW)?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to start any friction. Personally, I never bought into the RP marketing hype, and it doesn't seem like you do either which I can understand. But, when Jimmy recommends a particular product to me, I think he is recommending it to me because he has faith in it and uses it.

Not to sidetrack everything, but with your thermostat. My car is stock (bone stock). If I install your thermostat, will it be ok with the stock tune (i.e. no changing of the fan settings).

Satyr

Established Member
Not to sidetrack everything, but with your thermostat. My car is stock (bone stock). If I install your thermostat, will it be ok with the stock tune (i.e. no changing of the fan settings).

You'll be fine. It will only open the T-stat at a lower temperature and allow the engine to start cooling faster, meaning there's no need for a re-tune. I would still advise that you pick up an SCT handheld and adjust the fan settings, though.

As for transmission fluid: I went to WalMart and picked up their big (and cheap) tank of castrol dex-merc ATF and it quited my transmission down quite a bit. I also use it for power steering...so that was an added benefit.

I wouldn't bother changing the diff fluid unless you have a leak, are changing the entire cover (not just adding a brace) or are hearing chatter. If it's chattering, you should be able to get away with adding a bottle of friction modifier to it using a hand-siphon. I need to do this myself...it's on my list.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I appreciate your input.:beer:

As far as Jimmy working for RP. From my understanding he was running RP long before he worked for them (stared this month). But, that's not my place to get involved with. I'l let him speak for himself.

Would him recommending RP be any worse than you linking the thread to your thermostat (which I plan on ordering BTW)?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to start any friction. Personally, I never bought into the RP marketing hype, and it doesn't seem like you do either which I can understand. But, when Jimmy recommends a particular product to me, I think he is recommending it to me because he has faith in it and uses it.

Yes it will be fine. personally I wish every Terminator had one in it.
There are advantages to tuning the fan kick points to come on sooner for city driving, but that t-stat is still a great idea even bone stock imho.:beer:

I don't understand what you mean about marketing practices Joel. We do not sell direct like Amsoil, IMHO Amsoil uses an unusual marketing method. We use wholesale distributors just like nearly every other oil company, though our industrial division does have some large direct customers.

Right now one of our(rp) best marketing methods is allowing our engine builders and other users to simply tell their stories, we are not a very big company with huge, deep advertising pockets

We don't normally take direct shots at Amsoil or Redline even though the reverse often happens to us, both make an excellent product that is head and shoulders better than most of the big oil guy's stuff.

I do think ours is still the best though.

Last edited:

Satyr

Established Member
yes it will be fine. personally i wish every terminator had one in it.
there are advantages to tuning the fan kick points to come on sooner for city driving, but that t-stat is still a great idea even bone stock imho.:beer:

when i can type normal again i'll try to explain a little better.

right now our(rp) best marketing method is allowing our engine builders and other users to simply tell their stories, we are not a very big company with huge, deep advertising pockets

we don't normally take direct shots at amsoil or redline even though the reverse often happens to us, both make an excellent product that is head and shoulders better than most of the big guy's stuff.

i do think ours is still the best though, lol

wow i need to go to bed that typed up mess looks terrible

Jimmy, any discounts for forum members? I have always considered RP motor oil, but can't justify the cost (10/quart around here) when this is my DD.

What is the best (read: cheapest) place to get it offline?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Jimmy, any discounts for forum members? I have always considered RP motor oil, but can't justify the cost (10/quart around here) when this is my DD.

What is the best (read: cheapest) place to get it offline?

I am not in sales, I'm in tech and we don't sell direct anyway so I'm afraid I cant help much with discounts except to suggest known outlets for you.:beer:

Results for royal purple oil - AmericanMuscle.com

Summit, Jegs, Amazon...etc.

Napa, Pep Boys, Advance Auto Parts, AutoZone, O'REILLY AUTO PARTS, CARQUEST Auto Parts.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Would him recommending RP be any worse than you linking the thread to your thermostat (which I plan on ordering BTW)?...when Jimmy recommends a particular product to me, I think he is recommending it to me because he has faith in it and uses it.
I'm sure you're right about that. Additionally I don't think there is anything wrong with Jimmy recommending RP, in fact, I would have an issue with anyone not being able to express their opinion on here. I'm sorry if I gave you the wrong impression.

Also please understand it's just easier to put in a link to my site where the info is then to link graphs and copy and paste a bunch of text into this thread.

Jack Burton

Established Member
I'm sure you're right about that. Additionally I don't think there is anything wrong with Jimmy recommending RP, in fact, I would have an issue with anyone not being able to express their opinion on here. I'm sorry if I gave you the wrong impression.

Also please understand it's just easier to put in a link to my site where the info is then to link graphs and copy and paste a bunch of text into this thread.

No problem man:beer:

Definitely looking forward to ordering one of your thermostats:rolling:

Users who are viewing this thread