Boss302S

AZBOSS

Established Member
i am curious. what "competition conditions" would you be in with a street boss?

btw....this idea that bruce is slow is funny. off dean martin's pace is like being off tony stewart's pace.

I'm planning on gutting and caging the car in 2013 to compete in NASA ST2 and/or local club wheel-to-wheel class PS1.

For reference, I currently have around 18 hours track time on the car split between HPDE and TT sessions; I've been running HPDE and clubracing W2W in a couple other Mustangs since 2006.

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Actually I'm pretty happy with the stock ratios in the trans. I don't plan on changing the rear gear. I'm going to leave this car relatively stock for a change. Something I have not done with previous cars.

After Dean drove my car at Road America last year I learned it's not the car that's slow, it's me! :cryying:

:rollseyes:shrug::pop:

Tom

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
I'm planning on gutting and caging the car in 2013 to compete in NASA ST2 and/or local club wheel-to-wheel class PS1.

For reference, I currently have around 18 hours track time on the car split between HPDE and TT sessions; I've been running HPDE and clubracing W2W in a couple other Mustangs since 2006.

cost effictivity, couldnt you get a 2010 v6 or gt and drop a boss drive train in it along with the racing suspension pieces for about the same dollars as building your actual boss into a race car?

AZBOSS

Established Member
Yes, but I don't have the cash to do that, so I would have to sell the boss to finance that.

I still need to get a tow vehicle and trailer (and a new house) but that is all in the budget to get up and running. My plan when I ordered the car in December of 2010 was to enjoy it as a street car for a few years then tear it down. So far everything is going according to plan :)

Thanks for the transmission input, guys!

TimB

Established Member
I switched to a Boss 302R transmission , the ratios are better and the integral shifter rail provides a much nicer shift feel. If you stay with the 3.73 gear the ratios that the car comes with are fine for most tracks, you will not need 5th . The biggest change with the R t6060 is I went with a new clutch , pressure plate and flywheel , saves a ton of weight over the stock gt 500 twin disc .
Bruce I went with a bigger steering wheel and relocated the aim dash so you can see the shift lights.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I switched to a Boss 302R transmission , the ratios are better and the integral shifter rail provides a much nicer shift feel. If you stay with the 3.73 gear the ratios that the car comes with are fine for most tracks, you will not need 5th . The biggest change with the R t6060 is I went with a new clutch , pressure plate and flywheel , saves a ton of weight over the stock gt 500 twin disc .
Bruce I went with a bigger steering wheel and relocated the aim dash so you can see the shift lights.

Tim:

I know that Boss R trans is a nice piece, thanks for the feedback on it.

Do you notice much difference driving the car with the larger steering wheel?

TimB

Established Member
Bruce

I like the larger wheel mostly because its what I had in the R model for the last 10 years . I am not a big fan of the d shaped wheels in a non formula car so it was a easy swap for me.
Just finished painting the carbon fiber doors from Paul Brown , they save 60 pounds over the stock doors.

AZBOSS

Established Member
60lbs? Did you weigh those things? I wouldn't think that the gutted stock doors have 30lbs a piece to get rid of.

But if you're right...damn!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
60lbs? Did you weigh those things? I wouldn't think that the gutted stock doors have 30lbs a piece to get rid of.

But if you're right...damn!

I stripped my 2000 Cobra R doors and got them down to 22# each removing a LOT of material. There was not much left. Both of these doors open and close.

On my 2004 BIW passenger door, I took the door skin down to 18# and it attaches with dzus fasteners. That's as low as it will go which is why I have a C/F skin coming that weighs 2.5# without paint. And paint, like chrome, is actually pretty heavy.

The S-197 door on the Boss is not NEARLY as gutted as what I did and it's quite a bit larger. I'm guessing the Boss 302S doors to be about 32#-33# give or take. Depending on the configuration of the C/F door it can be as light as 3-4# give or take.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

TimB

Established Member
Bruce , I will post photos later today , as for pricing , I will have to talk to Paul Brown at TigerRacing as am not sure if his final pricing is set .Also i need a set of the 2 piece rear rotors
Thanks
Tim

AZBOSS

Established Member
I stripped my 2000 Cobra R doors and got them down to 22# each removing a LOT of material. There was not much left. Both of these doors open and close.

On my 2004 BIW passenger door, I took the door skin down to 18# and it attaches with dzus fasteners. That's as low as it will go which is why I have a C/F skin coming that weighs 2.5# without paint. And paint, like chrome, is actually pretty heavy.

The S-197 door on the Boss is not NEARLY as gutted as what I did and it's quite a bit larger. I'm guessing the Boss 302S doors to be about 32#-33# give or take. Depending on the configuration of the C/F door it can be as light as 3-4# give or take.

FWIW

Good info, I had no idea...
the gutted doors weight 38 pounds each with the mirrors , the carbon doors are 8 pounds
:beer: Impressive. Did you re-mount the mirrors, or go to a mirror on a rollcage bracket?
Bruce , I will post photos later today , as for pricing , I will have to talk to Paul Brown at TigerRacing as am not sure if his final pricing is set .Also i need a set of the 2 piece rear rotors
Thanks
Tim

I'm also interested in the pricing for the doors to add to my future budget. Can't beat 60lbs in one fell swoop.

smitty328

Established Member
Just an FYI. Keep an eye on your struts, my right one turned as far as it could and put a kink in the hose to the reservoir.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
the gutted doors weight 38 pounds each with the mirrors , the carbon doors are 8 pounds

Wow, that's quite a bit heavier than I guessed them at. Good info Tim, thanks. I'll send you a PM on the rotors.

Wow, sorry for the ridiculously large pic.

I'm going to remove it. See if you can resze it.

TimB

Established Member
Photos as promised

photo.jpg

photocopy3.jpg

photocopy2.jpg

TimB

Established Member
The fit and finish is very good and they needed very little adjustment to get the gaps right. I had to have a shim machined to space the striker but that was it.
I am going to use the CJ mirror delete trim pieces and mount race mirrors from the cage

Users who are viewing this thread