Boss302S

isrboss

Established Member
I ran those arms (M-5649-S) for about 6 months and experienced the exact same failure/poor design. There is too much clearance between the spherical bearing housing, and the bore on the end of the arm. There might be minimal play when first assembled, but as they get used the movement further exacerbates the problem. With that amount of play in a solid type control arm, the rattles resonates throughout the chassis and it really does sound like the rear end is falling out of the car. I was quite disappointed in them considering the source and cost, as mentioned above. Ford Racing feels I simply "out powered them" causing the extra clearance. I wholeheartedly disagree. I feel it's a design flaw, without question.

Having no desire to run an arm that makes more racket than my exhaust does, I decided to swap in FRPP's cheaper arms with the urethane bushings (M-5649-R1). Well, once again, FRPP failed here too. On every Mustang built from '05-'14, the gap in the lower control mounting point is different forward to rear, with the rear being wider. On the M-5649-R1, the steel sleeves are sized properly, but the arms and bushings are not. Since the bushings are a two-piece design, they simply spread apart after just a few miles leaving a large gap between them in the control arm bores which considerably lowers their effectiveness. I had to come up with a spacer to keep the bushings in place.

My disappointment in these arms is great. Not only do I sell Ford Racing parts, but I run them on my own car, and I push them hard. I promote them, I defend them, and except for these examples, I have faith in them. So I am very curious in what Ford Racing has to say in your case.
I had the same initial problem with my M-5649-R1 302R LCA's. Took pictures of the issue and sent to Marty. He sent the new bushings overnight and that was that. I have not had an issue with the FRPP M-5649-R1 since.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
He sent the new bushings overnight and that was that. I have not had an issue with the FRPP M-5649-R1 since.

If the 'new' bushings were different, how were they different? If they were dimensionally the same, how are you not having the same issue you had before?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
If the 'new' bushings were different, how were they different? If they were dimensionally the same, how are you not having the same issue you had before?

I agree that new bushings are not going to correct this situation. Unless they were somehow oversize?

isrboss

Established Member

The bushings had a good circumference fit but they were too long or the end of the bar too short. The lca end that connects to the body was sliding on the bushings. FRPP sent me new bushings and the fit was as it should be snug in the bushing edges. I have been keeping an eye on them and I have no play and I have no noise.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
The bushings had a good circumference fit but they were too long or the end of the bar too short. The lca end that connects to the body was sliding on the bushings. FRPP sent me new bushings and the fit was as it should be snug in the bushing edges. I have been keeping an eye on them and I have no play and I have no noise.

The issue with my R1's is at the axle end.

Out of curiosity, I pulled another R1 kit out of stock that I recently got in. It appears they have corrected the issue.

The R1's I have in my car, the bores/eyelets on each end of the arm are the same size/width, as well as all the bushings. The only offset parts are two of the steel sleeves. So the bushings just separate to make up for the gap.

The new arm is actually built different on each end to make up for the different widths. Looks like I'll be calling FRPP to get my arms swapped out, as well as trying to resolve the issue with the "S" arms.

isrboss

Established Member
Here is the issue I had with my R1 fitment. Approximately an 1/8 amount of side to side free play. This was only on one arm at the chassis mounting location.
EDIT: Now remembering Marty sent me a new arm and bushings.:bash:
20130410_175026.jpg

Last edited:

AZBOSS

Established Member
A bit of a random question, but maybe you guys can help:

I've got an AIM MXL Pista sitting in a box ready to install to the car soon.
I have the mounting bracket from Watson that will allow it to attach to the factory steering shaft cover.

My question is how are the screws or bolts retained that secure the mounting bracket to the steering shaft cover? Is there some sort of J or U-nut used on each one, or are they simply self-tapping screws into the plastic cover?
If a regular nut is used on the backside, how is it held while tightening the screws from the front side? Are access holes punched into the steering shaft cover that allow a box-end wrench to get back there?

Thanks in advance...

And FWIW my FRPP R1 LCAs had the issue where the rear bushing housings were the same width as the front (aka no offset and not wide enough in the rear)...they were replaced by FRPP.

EDIT: My contact at Watson says the bracket is simply screwed into the plastic steering shaft cover using some pointed "semi" self-tapping screws.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread