Boss Intake - Dyno & Track results

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
Again ANOTHER post where the damn boss 302 intake DOES NOTHING. Where are all the fanboys who were on the last post talking about "He was short shifting" doesn't make a damn bit of good... You don't get crap except a higher trap speed. It's just a dyno whore and YET ANOTHER example of that.

Still damn good times with 3:31 gears no matter what man, nothing against you or your car. But I am tired of telling people the boss 302 is a WASTE unless you are 99% street pulls and you do roll races. Which even then it won't make a difference to out weigh the costs...

Excuse me while I go post this thread in the last one...

well considering that the BOSS 302 was intended for open track racing, and not drag racing, id say you beyond miss the point of the manifold/have no idea what it actually does.

the Boss manifold does indeed make power, above 6k to 8k, you know the area you would use on a track. so yes for strictly drag racing its not a terribly useful modification.

but the air horns inside that plenum of the boss manifold makes for great power on corner exits and long straights. its not simply for looks/hard parking. if you had ever driven a Boss you would understand it function. the boss has simply BMW M3 levels of top end.

step outside of the mustang box, not everything is bench racing/roll racing/drag racing.

Ratchet

Established Member
Stock intake. JPC tune, roush AB, 20" invos
af7edc81-8fa1-40f5-9414-84932497cca2_zps73da15dc.jpg

Boss intake, JPC tune, 13Gt500 Ab( added about 40lbs) 20" invos. With tq limiting and RPM hold( i believe i heard it also hold ur throttle at 80%thru 3-4th when it does this.) Fixed in the tune now I believe.

null_zps38aa31a7.jpg

Shaun@AED

Hmm... Looks like the Boss IM made significantly more power UNDER 3500 RPM.

Must be those TiVCT changes. ;-)

Results are consistent to what we see on my Dyno. Boss IM = gains under 3500, Loss of midrange, and extended 'usable' upper RPM power with no significant gains peak to peak HP. (Typically we see within 3-4 HP peak GT vs Boss IM)
It basically flattens the entire power curve. (Relative to GT IM)

Last edited:

SCalla1384

Established Member
Hmm... Looks like the Boss IM made significantly more power UNDER 3500 RPM.

Must be those TiVCT changes. ;-)

Results are consistent to what we see on my Dyno. Boss IM = gains under 3500, Loss of midrange, and extended 'usable' upper RPM power with no significant gains peak to peak HP. (Typically we see within 3-4 HP peak GT vs Boss IM)
It basically flattens the entire power curve. (Relative to GT IM)

Yeah I wasnt expecting a huge gain in power. Although, I think if I got a solid 5th gear pull, probably would have been close to 425rwhp.

Im more of a track person anyways, I need to get back out and launch the car harder. I think itll go mid 11.6's at 118 as is, just a harder launch and having to short shift 1st. 3.73's I think will make a big difference. Especially once I get slicks on....

Thanks again for an awesome tune man!

KBLEO

Established Member
Figured Id start this thread because of the other one, guy not being happy with his boss intake (stock intake tune)
So last Friday I put my boss intake on. Only change power wise was the AED revised boss intake tune. Between the stock intake and boss intake, I put on BMR LCA, Relocation Brackets, and pulled the front sway bar.

LOL, Never said I was unhappy. I was just showing the results of keeping the same tune while switching out manifolds, I wanted to see how it would effect my power. I already have it scheduled for re-tune to see what we can gain.

SCalla1384

Established Member
It's misleading. Didn't mention you were on the stock tune until after. And 7,350 shift point is to low.

Tune will definitely help though. I just messaged the guy I go to for dynos if he could send me an overlay of stock vs boss intake.

KBLEO

Established Member
It wasn't a stock tune all dyno runs were Bama 93R tune, the ones with the Boss Manifold were adjusted for increased rpm.

I am aware that I need to retune. I already had it scheduled. I just wanted to share results of just the manifold swap. Done this a time or 2, actually 5 with these Mustangs. Modified 5 f-bodies, 3 GTO's and 2 Corvettes as well. :banana::burnout:

Last edited:

SCalla1384

Established Member
It wasn't a stock tune all dyno runs were Bama 93R tune, the ones with the Boss Manifold were adjusted for increased rpm.

I am aware that I need to retune. I already had it scheduled. I just wanted to share results of just the manifold swap. Done this a time or 2, actually 5 with these Mustangs. Modified 5 f-bodies, 3 GTO's and 2 Corvettes as well. :banana::burnout:

Stock intake tune. Adjusting the rev limiter isn't a tune change.

KBLEO

Established Member
Stock refers to the way it left from the factory. Unless you have a different dictionary you're reading from.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Stock refers to the way it left from the factory. Unless you have a different dictionary you're reading from.

What I dont get is why would you even test a boss manifold on the stock intake tune and then complain it did not make power?

EJR

Established Member
It is necessary to do gear change with a boss intake due to it completely changing the powerband. Its not a dyno whore. Thats just retarded to say. When you move your powerband up (and make 20whp more in the process) you need to add more gear to effectively use it. This is drag racing 101 and anyone who doesn't understand how gearing applies to a powerband....shouldn't be telling people how to build cars. If this were my car...its next 2 mods would be gears and a clutch.

SCalla1384

Established Member
^ agreed. My first post I said boss intake and 3.31's isn't a good setup.

3.73 or 3.90's with the boss intake for sure. And yup. 3.73's next mod that's going in :)

EJR

Established Member
3.73s will help a lot... mostly for the launch and when you have to short shift the 1-2. Will also put you much higher into your power band when back-halfing the car. Shouldnt have a problem going 11.5-11.6 at 119ish. 3 tenths and 3 mph is about what i would expect going from the stock intake/3.31s to boss intake with 3.73s. 3.90s are more ideal... but hey... for 50 bucks... cant complain about 3.73s ;)

Users who are viewing this thread