Boss 5.0 / 10.7:1 / Lysholm 3.3 / E85 build!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Yea I hear yea I was just curious.. I think that your setup would look tit's with some Baer polished 6piston calipers and 14'' rotors!! Gotta be able to stop

cobracloud

Established Member
very nice, my 10.4:1 teksid build is getting close to being finished, just got my set of custom cams fom mihovetz at accufab:rockon: and finishing the heads now-congrats once again:beer:

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
Yea I hear yea I was just curious.. I think that your setup would look tit's with some Baer polished 6piston calipers and 14'' rotors!! Gotta be able to stop

would be nice for sure!

very nice, my 10.4:1 teksid build is getting close to being finished, just got my set of custom cams fom mihovetz at accufab:rockon: and finishing the heads now-congrats once again:beer:

welcome to the world of compression! what power adder are u running?

03Steve

Established Member
Pro-M 117 is made for 5" applications. We'll let you know how it works out in the next few weeks with the 4.0L car.

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
So glad to hear you're keeping the car!!! Now crank up the boost and never have that thought go through your head again!

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
Pro-M 117 is made for 5" applications. We'll let you know how it works out in the next few weeks with the 4.0L car.

definently curious to see how it works on the setup

So glad to hear you're keeping the car!!! Now crank up the boost and never have that thought go through your head again!

soon enough :beer:

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member

looks trick!

117.jpg

117_2.jpg

117_3.jpg

03Steve

Established Member
Last week we picked up a MAF sensor from an '06 Econoline for $14 from a junkyard. The 05+ slot/voltage style sensor is a uniform part between all Ford vehicles. The inlets change from one vehicle to the next, which skews the required transfer function. At least that is what I am told.

We installed that sensor in a 76mm turbo car with 3.5" piping for comparison's sake in troubleshooting a signal quality problem. Connector worked, mounting worked, everything worked where an HPX previously resided.

The transfer function was built with an Excel utility that I can e-mail you. It references pipe diameter. Looking at that stock sensor in a 5" pipe, it will support somewhere in the range of 3000kg/hr @ 1023 A/D counts. It's about like having an SCT BA3000 on the car, signal wise. You just get the advantages of the 5" pipe.

It's been pretty well proven that opening up the intake before a PD blower is a win. With you having the ability to tune on your own, and having a few bucks to spare...I would look into a stock slot meter. At a minimum, it's a cheap science experiment to tickle the brain.

If you have already logged air flow #/min on a dialed in transfer function, you will have a rough estimate of what the stock slot MAF counts would be in a 5" pipe at idle. 27.21 converts kg/hr to #/min. 205 for MAF counts.

E-mail if you want the Excel utility.

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
Last week we picked up a MAF sensor from an '06 Econoline for $14 from a junkyard. The 05+ slot/voltage style sensor is a uniform part between all Ford vehicles. The inlets change from one vehicle to the next, which skews the required transfer function. At least that is what I am told.

We installed that sensor in a 76mm turbo car with 3.5" piping for comparison's sake in troubleshooting a signal quality problem. Connector worked, mounting worked, everything worked where an HPX previously resided.

The transfer function was built with an Excel utility that I can e-mail you. It references pipe diameter. Looking at that stock sensor in a 5" pipe, it will support somewhere in the range of 3000kg/hr @ 1023 A/D counts. It's about like having an SCT BA3000 on the car, signal wise. You just get the advantages of the 5" pipe.

It's been pretty well proven that opening up the intake before a PD blower is a win. With you having the ability to tune on your own, and having a few bucks to spare...I would look into a stock slot meter. At a minimum, it's a cheap science experiment to tickle the brain.

If you have already logged air flow #/min on a dialed in transfer function, you will have a rough estimate of what the stock slot MAF counts would be in a 5" pipe at idle. 27.21 converts kg/hr to #/min. 205 for MAF counts.

E-mail if you want the Excel utility.
Email sent Steve, definently interested in seeing this tool. Also thanks for the good info above! I like the idea of using an OEM sensor, I assume I would continue to use similar injector slope/engine disp/ man vol just like I have it now, or would it be smarter to baseline of the ba3000 scaling logic? Currently I'm using ba5000 logic, scaled down even more.

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
What is your current scale factor?

as a starting point, i used BA5000 value files which scaled all variables down by 70%.......so current variables are scaled down to 0.30 of their original value. This logic was used in a 4" pipe as provided by SCT. I had to scale down even further to use the 5" intake. I believe I ended up right around 0.20 of stock logic (scaled down from unmodified logic by 80%)

Last edited:

03Steve

Established Member
Some quick numbers, since you are working within the 63.9#/min range...

Stock slot MAF in 5" tube @ 1023 A/D counts = 2937 kg/hr

2937 kg/hr = 108#/min

63.9#/min / 108#/min = 0.59 (scale factor with no headroom for enrichment)
57.5#/min / 108#/min = 0.53 (scale factor with up to 10% headroom for enrichment)

Use can manipulate and even clip the transfer function on the upper end as needed to get the most resolution with the least amount of scaling.

03Steve

Established Member
as a starting point, i used BA5000 value files which scaled all variables down by 70%.......so current variables are scaled down to 0.30 of their original value. This logic was used in a 4" pipe as provided by SCT. I had to scale down even further to use the 5" intake. I believe I ended up right around 0.20 of stock logic (scaled down from unmodified logic by 80%)

Put 5" in the HPX Tool and look at how much power that supports, lol

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
Some quick numbers, since you are working within the 63.9#/min range...

Stock slot MAF in 5" tube @ 1023 A/D counts = 2937 kg/hr

2937 kg/hr = 108#/min

63.9#/min / 108#/min = 0.59 (scale factor with no headroom for enrichment)
57.5#/min / 108#/min = 0.53 (scale factor with up to 10% headroom for enrichment)

Use can manipulate and even clip the transfer function on the upper end as needed to get the most resolution with the least amount of scaling.

Put 5" in the HPX Tool and look at how much power that supports, lol

Thanks Steve, really is quite simple. Going to mess with all the tools when I get home

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
Today i picked up a used OEM Ford slot style MAF sensor from an 08 ford explorer, part # 3L3A-12B579-BA.

After running thru the calculations, with these awesome excel utilities (thanks again Steve!), a new MAF xfer function has been created to use this sensor in the 5" intake. The stock sensor should perform extremely well in the 5", signal resolution will be quite nice.

Will start the retune later this week

yfzkevin

Established Member
Nice set up Erik. I cant wait to see some Dyno numbers. This build has had me on the edge of my seat the whole time.

I also did a higher compression (9.5:1) E85 with a whipple 3.4 crusher. its pullied for 30 psi but just gets belt slip to like 24 psi. I tried so many different things to get it to stop spinning but couldnt. Either way I am running the Pro-M maf and seems to be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread