Boss 429

johndoe000

keep it classy
Established Member
i can't remember his name but he was the pro50 champion now retired. he and his wife live in iowa and travel around to all the shows in their motorhome pulling the double stacker loaded with the mustangs. very nice couple, he gave us the grand tour of his rig and cars. that pic was taken at norwalk

That's Les Bear, he's really good guy I met him at WFC 7 a couple years back. He brought out his grabber green 70 Boss 429 for the show.

P5150005.jpg

P5150007.jpg

P5150006.jpg

Janstang

Established Member
Was it stock? what time did he run?
I was too busy with racing related stuff to quiz him, but visibly it all looked stock. On stock tires he ran in the 7.90's in the 1/8th feathering it the whole way(density altitude around 6500ft). It sounded great.. To give you a perspective on times, all the GT500's were in the 8.20-8.50 range due to altitude, track grip etc...

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
A guy that works with my brother used to have one. During one of our strikes he sold it to pay off his house, he sold it for 70 grand. After he sold it the value of the car went through the clouds. It was one of the first 50, I think it was a "Q" code, been a while since I talked to him about the car. The guy does still have a sweet 71 mach and an early gto, a pantara, and others I dont know about (he has 3 garages, I have only seen the one closest to his house), AND supposedly (my brother tells me) he has a 427 side oiler locked up on his property.
Are you sure the car was a Q-code...if so that would have been a non-ram air 428 Cobra Jet. Boss engine codes were either "T" or "S".

What is that cylinder just above the drivers side valve cover?
It's the by-pass/diverter valve also know as an anti-backfire valve. It's part of the smog system.

Avenger

Established Member
Might as well keep it going. Here's my father original 14 000 miles Grabber Orange Boss with another one owned by a gentleman that traveled all the way from New Jersey. Consecutive KK numbers !! :rockon:

255859.jpg

Last edited:

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
That's cool about the consecutive KK numbers. The guy that owns the Boss cars I posted actually has five Boss 9's cars all together. The two in the garage, and one I didn't post a pic of, are all 3 consecutively numbered cars.

One of the 5 Boss cars (a '69 Boss 429) also has a 427 Cammer motor in place of it's Boss 429 motor.

RAPTOR5V

Firing on all 8
Established Member
:eek: your father has one?? wow cool pic and story, consecutive cars reunited again :thumbsup:

maybe yours one day? :beer:

tell me how does that beast drive, but let me guess it doesn't see much road probably

Users who are viewing this thread