Boss 302 vs GT350 perf numbers.

Voodooo413

Established Member
I can't believe you think the roadrunner boss 5.0 is superior then the 5.2 voodoo. That's crazy. People worry way to much about the tiny bit of vibrations. What I don't understand with some people is they put their trust in engineering in one department and no trust in the other. What I mean by that is, say the lug bolts. 14x1.5mm torque spec 150 lb ft. Ok the engineers set this and let's use it. They tested it and it works. But people disputed it. Fine but why? Ford trucks also have 14x1.50mm lug bolts and torque spec of 150 lb ft for years and nobody's crying foul. But now say for example you install long tube headers and they don't have the little tiny rubber damper pucks the stock exhaust has and right away people think the whole engine is going to vibrate apart like the harmonic balancer fell off and all the bolts are vibrating loose. The voodoo is actually smooth if you consider that the crank is 180 degrees and no counter weights. It's not like a 5hp Briggs and Stratton. The voodoo will go down in history as one of fords best high performance engines ever. Hell it already is now. Cars that cost twice as much have a hard time competing with it. The boss is and was a great car, but the gt350 is better and the track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I can't believe you think the roadrunner boss 5.0 is superior then the 5.2 voodoo. That's crazy. People worry way to much about the tiny bit of vibrations. What I don't understand with some people is they put their trust in engineering in one department and no trust in the other. What I mean by that is, say the lug bolts. 14x1.5mm torque spec 150 lb ft. Ok the engineers set this and let's use it. They tested it and it works. But people disputed it. Fine but why? Ford trucks also have 14x1.50mm lug bolts and torque spec of 150 lb ft for years and nobody's crying foul. But now say for example you install long tube headers and they don't have the little tiny rubber damper pucks the stock exhaust has and right away people think the whole engine is going to vibrate apart like the harmonic balancer fell off and all the bolts are vibrating loose. The voodoo is actually smooth if you consider that the crank is 180 degrees and no counter weights. It's not like a 5hp Briggs and Stratton. The voodoo will go down in history as one of fords best high performance engines ever. Hell it already is now. Cars that cost twice as much have a hard time competing with it. The boss is and was a great car, but the gt350 is better and the track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didnt say "i think", i said "i feel" as in just my opinion. Shelby engine is no doubt more high tech, more exotic, higher rev line, more power BUT to me, its durability is still in question. Unlike the Boss' motor which has already proven itself to be one tough as nails SOB.

Dont get me wrong, Id still prefer the shelby, it is a KILLER car. Hell, id light my camaro on fire for 350 track pack. I guess I just wish that, it had came with a bigger displacement boss motor and upgraded valve train. No FPC.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
I'm not sure why Ford felt they had to go with the FPC.. The Boss version of the coyote is stout.... Like zyborg said, why not bring a larger displacement more optimized version of it rather than starting over with the fpc motor....

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm not sure why Ford felt they had to go with the FPC.. The Boss version of the coyote is stout.... Like zyborg said, why not bring a larger displacement more optimized version of it rather than starting over with the fpc motor....

I think it was just about the need to "push the envelope", something to get people talking, and they did. It makes the car a little more "special".

If ford were to offer a GT350 TP with a road runner option, Id be all over that, luke a fat kid kn cake!

Post some pics of the new ride along side the Boss.

IamRacerX

Established Member
image.jpgimage.jpg

Here's a couple for you....Zyborg

Last edited:

IamRacerX

Established Member
This car will not get to use the garage regularly, so I wanted a color that's easier to keep up. White was my first choice, then silver, red..... Some crazy deals on these cars right now. 15% rebate. I had two deals going and the cars got sold before I could finalize them... I ended up getting a local dealer to finally match an outta state price after working hard on it. While the car was at the dealer, my salesman called me and said he was bringing me the car. I asked why, he said they were getting lots of calls on it ( being the last new 15 they had) and he was afraid they might sell it out from under me as they were not making anything on my deal.... So he brought it to me until I could sign the papers the next day..... Kinda weird but it all worked out.

Last edited:

noldevin

Established Member
This car will not get to use the garage regularly, so I wanted a color that's easier to keep up. White was my first choice, then silver, red..... Some crazy deals on these cars right now. 15% rebate. I had two deals going and the cars got sold before I could finalize them... I ended up getting a local dealer to finally match an outta state price after working hard on it. While the car was at the dealer, my salesman called me and said he was bringing me the car. I asked why, he said they were getting lots of calls on it ( being the last new 15 they had) and he was afraid they might sell it out from under me as they were not making anything on my deal.... So he brought it to me until I could sign the papers the next day..... Kinda weird but it all worked out.

That's a great salesman right there. I wish I could say the same about the guy who sold me my GT. Tried to swindle me out of my track pack and charge me more money for less options lol

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member

Thats understandable. White is one of my favorite colors. I would either have the wheels coated with satin black or get a new black set.

Enjoy it!

IamRacerX

Established Member
Thats understandable. White is one of my favorite colors. I would either have the wheels coated with satin black or get a new black set.

Enjoy it!
Yep I want to black out the trim and either powder coat the wheels gloss black (factory wheels are forged) or get an extra set in gloss black. Black trim kits are crazy $$$ for this car. It all comes from AUS so it not cheap. It's a fun car though!

M91196

Established Member
Those cars haul the mail. Got to ride in the 3 that Atlanta Motor Speedway use for pace cars. The aftermarket exhaust they had was a nice addition.

IamRacerX

Established Member
Could have picked a much worse DD.......I say you did well...Enjoy!!

Thanks! It's no Hellcat, but I really like it. It drives amazing! The handling is what hooked me. The magnetic ride control is dabomb.

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Just read through this whole dilemma and I have to say that I am surprised that you decided to back out, not for money reasons, but for having doubt in the 350's performance. Coming from someone who has driven every model of Mustang produced since the 07 GT500 (S197 5.0L GT's, Boss, 08 GT500, 13-14 GT500, S550 GT's and the 350), there is absolutely NO comparison between the 350 and the rest of the cars. not only does the 350 annihilate all the others on the road course, but it does it while still being a car that you can drive every single day.

The 5.2L is a thing of beauty, we've replaced the exhaust (got rid of the vibration dampers) and the engine is still smooth. It has the flat plane "humm" that every single 4 cylinder has but you won't hear anyone criticizing those motors. The factory exhaust is amazing with either cat deletes or long tubes and no cats. We also added a blower and it's making 819 rwhp with the stock motor, so to doubt the engines toughness is just silly.

Did you ever get a chance to drive one before you made the final decision?

IamRacerX

Established Member
Just read through this whole dilemma and I have to say that I am surprised that you decided to back out, not for money reasons, but for having doubt in the 350's performance. Coming from someone who has driven every model of Mustang produced since the 07 GT500 (S197 5.0L GT's, Boss, 08 GT500, 13-14 GT500, S550 GT's and the 350), there is absolutely NO comparison between the 350 and the rest of the cars. not only does the 350 annihilate all the others on the road course, but it does it while still being a car that you can drive every single day.

The 5.2L is a thing of beauty, we've replaced the exhaust (got rid of the vibration dampers) and the engine is still smooth. It has the flat plane "humm" that every single 4 cylinder has but you won't hear anyone criticizing those motors. The factory exhaust is amazing with either cat deletes or long tubes and no cats. We also added a blower and it's making 819 rwhp with the stock motor, so to doubt the engines toughness is just silly.

Did you ever get a chance to drive one before you made the final decision?
I did drive a tech pack but it wasn't until after I cancelled my order, but it was prior to buying my SS sedan DD. The car feels very up market compared to my Boss. The interior is so much nicer.... I also found the feel and feedback to be very good. In my limited drive the car felt down on low rpm torque compared to the Boss, but came alive above 4k. I did also feel the vibration some have mentioned, it felt like a solid motor mounted car from back in the day... Not bad, but it would never fly in a foreign car Imo. Also there is noticeably less headroom as compared to my Boss as well. At 6'2" that was a downer. My buddy who's GT350 it was and I had a friendly meet at a light afterward and let's just say the Boss is still the Boss. I have never been fond of the S550 styling but the car overall is an upgrade from the Boss for sure, but not enough for me to really want one. I firmly believe while an amazing track car and drivers car, I'm not sure the GT350 would be enough of an improvement for what I use my cars for. Spirited driving, occasional street meet, drag strip, auto cross and maybe one HPDE a year tops.... In that order. Afterwards I was convinced to take my money and upgrade my DD. I did... And I have not one regret.

Last edited:

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
^^^ fair enough.

The boss 302 is certainly a high bar by which to measure. I can see where you are coming from.

Users who are viewing this thread