Boss 302 vs GT350 perf numbers.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Anyone else feel a little under whelmed by the raw test numbers gathered on the GT350?
I love my Boss but I do have a GT350 TP on order. The test numbers seem to say the two cars are very close in performance. Here some test numbers to compare.
GT350 TP vs base Boss 302
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

LS Boss

Established Member
Racer,

These numbers are very Boss-like. But these numbers are more indicative of straight-line performance and and HP/Torque numbers. They don't tell the whole story. However, I think the big difference you will see between your Boss and new 350 will show itself on the race track. I think I have seen a difference of about 2 seconds per lap at Laguna Seca between a stock Boss LS and a 350. The addition of Michelin tires and the new independent suspension design will really amaze you from what I have been reading about the 350. When will you be taking delivery of your new baby? What color?

LS Boss

Last edited:

200MPHCOBRA

Liberty Tree Needs Water
Established Member
Watching the car launch is where there is an issue. Too much hop and not enough gear. An MT-82 with a good clutch and shifter would be significantly quicker in this car I think....I also think the 350 should have come with 4.30's in the rear to use its rpm spread better with the trans they chose, i don't think it would hurt its road track manners either. One day perhaps they will make one that doesn't hop, seems to be a Ford trademark. On a road course the Boss is going to be toast, but they left a lot on the table for the 1/4..

IamRacerX

Established Member
Racer,

These numbers are very Boss-like. But these numbers are more indicative of straight-line performance and and HP/Torque numbers. They don't tell the whole story. However, I think the big difference you will see between your Boss and new 350 will show itself on the race track. I think I have seen a difference of about 2 seconds per lap at Laguna Seca between a stock Boss LS and a 350. The addition of Michelin tires and the new independent suspension design will really amaze you from what I have been reading about the 350. When will you be taking delivery of your new baby? What color?

LS Boss
I have a race red black stripe track pack ordered. It's a later allocation. Feburaryish .... I was expecting (or hoping) the GT350 would have a more clear cut advantage in the raw test numbers. Given its added power and torque, even with the added weight, it should dust a Boss. I for one am somewhat disappointed with the S550 in general, but I still have one on order.......

Watching the car launch is where there is an issue. Too much hop and not enough gear. An MT-82 with a good clutch and shifter would be significantly quicker in this car I think....I also think the 350 should have come with 4.30's in the rear to use its rpm spread better with the trans they chose, i don't think it would hurt its road track manners either. One day perhaps they will make one that doesn't hop, seems to be a Ford trademark. On a road course the Boss is going to be toast, but they left a lot on the table for the 1/4..
I'm sure the taller gears in the trans don't help it off the line.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
When I asked the instructor at the Road America event (someone who has a lot of Boss and 350 seat time) he said that the Boss will lose by a bit when two expert drivers race, but will get killed by the GT350 when two average drivers race.

200MPHCOBRA

Liberty Tree Needs Water
Established Member
I have a race red black stripe track pack ordered. It's a later allocation. Feburaryish .... I was expecting (or hoping) the GT350 would have a more clear cut advantage in the raw test numbers. Given its added power and torque, even with the added weight, it should dust a Boss. I for one am somewhat disappointed with the S550 in general, but I still have one on order.......

I'm sure the taller gears in the trans don't help it off the line.
Its still a great car, I would love to have one, just a gear change away from being two great things instead of one. I wonder if a cam tune adjustment could help the launch.

IamRacerX

Established Member
Hey Racer,

Have you checked out the Randy Probst 's GT 350 test drive he made at Chuckwalla? He went ape-shit over this car. Check this out. He's later in the vid but view the entire vid.

http://youtu.be/vtdtGgf1BF0

LS Boss

I did see that, but that is the R.... the GT350 TP is quite a bit off that feel and pace! Every article I have read loves and raves about the R. The base GT350 almost seems an after thought in their tests. I need to drive one to see!!!! ;)
RX

Last edited:

AZBOSS

Established Member
What you don't see in those straightline numbers is the overall cornering grip improvement provided by the wider, much more performance-oriented rubber on the 350s, in conjunction with the MR dampers and IRS.

LS Boss

Established Member
What you don't see in those straightline numbers is the overall cornering grip improvement provided by the wider, much more performance-oriented rubber on the 350s, in conjunction with the MR dampers and IRS.
Spot on AZBoss. However, I am not sure if the OP is looking at it from this perspective or he/she is coming at it from a just a straight-line performance perspective.

LSBoss

KBBoss302

Established Member
Golly the last thing I am is underwhelmed by anything about the new 350s. 117mph in the 1/4 is nothing to sneeze at. Not to mention the best part: handling and braking upgrades over our Bosses.

IamRacerX - I suspect that once you get your car, all of your residual doubts will go away entirely. It's funny but the hp wars of the last 10-15 years have jaded us a little. The Boss itself is fast as hell - the way mine charges up to BIG SPEEDS still makes me laugh out loud each time I do it.

I refuse to even think about selling my Laguna so for now a 350 is out of the question . . . but I am still super jealous of you guys getting one!

IamRacerX

Established Member
Look at the max lateral Gs.... .98 vs 1.00 and the figure 8 times 24.7 vs 24.2..... You put the better tires on a Boss and it would duplicate those numbers I'm sure.... I'm just saying I was expecting the R numbers for the TP 350 and even better numbers for the R...... Very few cars over achieve any more.... Imo the Boss was/is an over achiever, the C6 Z06 was/is too......
I roll with a crowd that drive C7 Zs, new Vipers,GTRs, AMGs ect..... Just was hoping for something that might have more oomph to hang in there with them. I'm just not super excited for the car at this point.... Call me crazy. Might keep my 20k difference and hang onto my Boss..... Like I said, I need to drive one!!

KBBoss302

Established Member
First of all - your red Boss looks fantastic! They are superb cars, so much fun, so keeping it and saving some money isn't exactly a bad thing!

Second, I understand what you are saying about the Bosses being overachievers. They are sort of "Blue Collar Hero" cars - way cheaper than M3s etc and able to do amazing things. I suspect that the 350 will be all of that and more, though.

I like overachievers - I had 3 Mitsubishi Evos before I came back to the Mustang world with the Bosses. If you want to embarrass high dollar cars on a twisty back road, nothing is even close to an Evo. They are so confidence inspiring.

LS Boss

Established Member
First of all - your red Boss looks fantastic! They are superb cars, so much fun, so keeping it and saving some money isn't exactly a bad thing!

Second, I understand what you are saying about the Bosses being overachievers. They are sort of "Blue Collar Hero" cars - way cheaper than M3s etc and able to do amazing things. I suspect that the 350 will be all of that and more, though.

I like overachievers - I had 3 Mitsubishi Evos before I came back to the Mustang world with the Bosses. If you want to embarrass high dollar cars on a twisty back road, nothing is even close to an Evo. They are so confidence inspiring.
Racer,

I think you still underestimate/understate the capibilities of your new 350. With all due respect, unless you have the driving abilities and skills of someone like a Randy Pobst, or Tony Stewart, the new 350 (with TP) inherently has more capabilities than you will be able to use on your best days. The new 350 was primarily designed for the track. This car, in my opinion, is truly the best Mustang Ford has "ever" designed/built (even including our Boss). Kudos to Dave Perciak and gang as it will be extremely difficult for them to ever top this car and keep it under 100 K. I don't believe Ford designed this car to take on the C7/Z06 or the ACR Viper. I am confident though if you put Randy Pobst in a base 350 he could challenge those vehicles and be competitive with those vehicles on the track.

I hope you reconsider your opinion of your new purchase and get to spend much time at the track with it. I'm sure it will put a smile on your face.

Do you think there will be a huge performance hit between the base 350 and the R? If yes, then why so?

LS Boss

Last edited:

IamRacerX

Established Member
Let's stir the pot some more... The new SS Camaro puts up nearly equal test numbers for 20k less!
image.jpgimage.jpg

LS Boss

Established Member
Hmmm Racer....I thought your dilema was a comparison between the 350 and 350 R and now you are throwing the government motor Camaro into the mix. OK. In regards to what you have laid out, you seem to be fixated on only straight-line performance and price based on what you have presented. I believe this is somewhat short sighted IMHO. The 2 performance figures you provided are comparable. But if you are only interested in straight line performance one would probably have been better off if they purchased a Mustang GT and threw on a supercharger with some drag radials and this vehicle would smoke the Maro. If you look a little deeper though, the Gt350 will beat he crap out of the SS on the track. This is documented in many media references you will find online. As far as I'm concerned, the quality of the Stang is better than the Maro. The 350 interior looks a lot better than the cheesy Maro interior. The interior road visibilty is much better in the 350. The resale value of the 350 will be much better than the Maro long term as many more will be built than the 350. So in conclusion, I still feel you made an excellent choice overall when you elected to purchase a 350 with the track package. This is an awesome vehicle and will become a collectors item many years to come.

Check out this link:
http://www.stumpfford.com/clp-2016-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350-vs-2016-chevy-camaro-ss

LS Boss

Last edited:

IamRacerX

Established Member
I agree with your comments, but it's not just straight line numbers. Lat acc is equal as well as braking and figure 8. We all know the trap speed is not equal and the 350 performs better than the sum of it's numbers. I would not buy a Camaro, but I have to applaud GM for bringing the heat with the new Camaro. My brother works for GM and said he's heard that the new 1LE is actually running with or better than the old Z28 on track. That sounds like it'll out perform the gt350 and run close to the R?? Could be internal corporate hype though.....
It's a great time to be a car guy though for sure.

Last edited:

LS Boss

Established Member
Dave Pericak & Ford will never let Mustang play second fiddle to Camaro ever. Stay tune. Ford has big plans ahead for Mustang.

IamRacerX

Established Member
I am now reluctantly gonna list my Boss forsale in prep for my in coming GT350..... Why am I not excited?

Users who are viewing this thread