Boss 302 vs GT350 perf numbers.

_Snake_

Established Member
I am now reluctantly gonna list my Boss forsale in prep for my in coming GT350..... Why am I not excited?

You should be EXCITED to get a car like the GT350......maybe you should reconsider? For what it's worth, I'd have a very difficult time doing the same if I were in your shoes.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Then buy a Camaro?
I definitely do not want a camaro!

You should be EXCITED to get a car like the GT350......maybe you should reconsider? For what it's worth, I'd have a very difficult time doing the same if I were in your shoes.

Is it really worth it for $24k+ over my Boss... I just think it's not enough performance gain and I'm still not 100% sold on the S550 styling plus everything I read says the R is AMAZING, and the regular GT350 is good.. So I'm on the fence. I need to drive one......

Last edited:

Tank5879

Established Member
Racer,
I am in the same boat as you. I don't have a car on order, but, after lime rock I was ALL ABOUT the GT350. The car is amazing in person, and I was sold that day. After going back and forth for the past couple months, I feel like I still really want a GT350, but I am having a hard time with 2 things.
One, I am not sure I want to sell my Boss....As in I want the GT350, but if it means losing my Boss, I'm not sure I want to give it up. there is really nothing I dislike about my Boss, other than the brakes are lacking for track use vs GT350....and I understand that they can be upgraded with shims and race pads,etc....but there is still burned up boots and stripped bleeders that come with heavy use. Brakes, in my mind, I want to be complete overkill. As "track ready" as the Boss is, the GT350 is on another level as far as race hardware.
Two, I'm not sure I want to take the hit money wise. like you said, 24k is a big difference, almost to the point where you can buy another Boss to play with!

IamRacerX

Established Member
Racer,
I am in the same boat as you. I don't have a car on order, but, after lime rock I was ALL ABOUT the GT350. The car is amazing in person, and I was sold that day. After going back and forth for the past couple months, I feel like I still really want a GT350, but I am having a hard time with 2 things.
One, I am not sure I want to sell my Boss....As in I want the GT350, but if it means losing my Boss, I'm not sure I want to give it up. there is really nothing I dislike about my Boss, other than the brakes are lacking for track use vs GT350....and I understand that they can be upgraded with shims and race pads,etc....but there is still burned up boots and stripped bleeders that come with heavy use. Brakes, in my mind, I want to be complete overkill. As "track ready" as the Boss is, the GT350 is on another level as far as race hardware.
Two, I'm not sure I want to take the hit money wise. like you said, 24k is a big difference, almost to the point where you can buy another Boss to play with!
I hear you! With that 24k you can get a track ready C5 Z06 and keep the Boss too....
My dealer called me yesterday, they have two GT350s that "the orders fell through" and are available. They are both tech packs and the wrong color.... I have a track pack on order... But it tells me this madness of over pricing is going to subside soon.

Last edited:

Tank5879

Established Member
It's the same cycle with every specialty mustang. Patience is key! probably mid summer (or whenver GT500 is announced)

svtrookie

Established Member
It's the same cycle with every specialty mustang. Patience is key! probably mid summer (or whenver GT500 is announced)

I sure hope so! I am considering on ordering a Base GT350, but I refuse to pay any markups. OP, definitely wait and get the color you want!

IamRacerX

Established Member
dont know if any of you saw the C&D article of the GT350tp vs C7Z51... The Vette beat it in every performance test... Yet they gave the nod to the Shelby for feel and fun to drive. I've driven several C7 Vettes and they are quick cars. But they do feel somewhat disconnected with the driver... Not like a GTR, but just a little numb. I come away every time saying my Boss is more fun to drive. Glad the GT350 has that too.

Tank5879

Established Member
I did see that article, it does seem that one thing this car has (like the boss) is soul....its more than the sum of its parts...and for that reason I am still intrigued. Even though a month has gone by, I'm still no closer to a decision. I think what I really would want is to have both cars lol

302 Hi Pro

Established Member
This thread has some interesting twist, especially the Camaro being tossed out there for discussion. A few points come to my mind.

First, the Shelby GT350 is no Boss 302. And, it's not meant to be. It is the next level, the evolution of the Mustang Sports Car. (Mustang Sports Car? I know. . . . I had to wrap my head around that concept as well.)

The Shelby GT350 is a better car in automotive technology advancements with the FPC 5.2L as its center piece. Magna Ride, electronic user interface, etc. She is a great car, and the R? Well let's just say that everything Ford learned about the Boss 302 racing program, made the R what it is today. The R is by far the most advanced track ready production Mustang ever produced.

I'm also happy to see the Shelby GT350R-C finished 1-2 on the podium at Daytona to start off the 2016 race season. IIRC, It took 8-10 months of continued development for Ford Racing and MultiMatic to dominate their class culminating in 3 Championships by Paul Brown and Tiger Racing in 2012. The Boss race cars were so dominant on the track, that a mid-season Rule change was enacted to restrict the intakes of the Boss cars to allow more competitive racing.

Again, IMO the Shelby GT 350 TP and the R, are great cars and destined to become Legondary cars.

I think, most everyone on this Forum can agree on one thing. Our passion for Mustang Performance. But these days, (the resurgence of Detroit Muscle Cars), are limited. We once thought as the 60's and early 70's as the Golden Years for Detroit Muscle, but new Fed regulations, insurance cost a gas prices killed that era. We live in the good old days right now. However, the 2018-19 Federal EPA CAFE requirements are coming and I wonder if these times are limited as well.

Fast forward to 2016. The next Gen Camaro is coming to market, so I went to Chevy.com, selected Camaro, then Build and price. I was surprised to learn that for 41k you can build a 1SS 6.2L 455 HP/ 455 lbs ft TQ Camaro with good performance options like MagnaRide, Brembos, and Recaro's, etc. I'm sure as GM development continues, a new track oriented 1LE, (v. GT350), and a new track capable Z/28, (v. R), models will be offered to compete with Ford.

The Spirit of Competition, it improves the Breed. We, as Ford Enthusiast benefit greatly from Ford's, GM's and FCA's ongoing desire to Beat the Other Guy!

As for the Boss 302? Our cars will forever be etched in the annals of Ford Performance history as the breakout car of the time that transformed the modern Mustang for pure Driver's excitement! Just remember the competitive offerings "of the day" when the first production 2012 Boss 302's were introduced in late 2010, early 2011. Yes, it was a 2012 Boss 302 that out performed all other competitive offerings, and the Boss 302 lit up the Automotive press with rave reviews.

But the truth is, the 2012/13 Boss 302 is old performance technology, so if one should compare the Boss 302 to the new Shelby GT350, I believe it is a testament to the level of performance offered by the Boss.

I've had my 2012 KB Boss 302 for just over 4 years now and she still delivers excitement every time I twist the key.

What ever you drive, have fun and enjoy it.
302 Hi Pro

IamRacerX

Established Member
Well said 302 HiPo.....
I agree with the idea of the GT350 being a better overall car.... It's 4-5 years newer technology on a new platform. I am just at a point in life where I'm not going to rush out and get the next new car model unless it's got me excited. I have to say I'm still not a big S550 fan styling wise, and the Shelbys raw test numbers look just ok in today's performance car market. Of course you can not account for the feel of driving the car by the numbers, but the feel of my 13 Boss is so much fun I can't imagine it being much if at all better. Now add $20-25k over what my Boss is worth.....This all leaves me feeling not so excited about the GT350.

Also mark my words on this.... The new Camaros performance variants will beat the GT350 in a year. Rumor inside GM is the next 1le is running lap times with the last gen Z28... And the next ZL1 is a 3850lb 640hp beast! Not that I'm a Camaro fan.... Just stating the obvious...

Think I'm going to sit tight and enjoy my Boss. Maybe grab a Focus RS to replace my DD.... That might just be the right answer for me.

senderofan

Established Member
" Think I'm going to sit tight and enjoy my Boss. Maybe grab a Focus RS to replace my DD.... That might just be the right answer for me. "

I think that's a pretty wise position to take at this point. It's tough to struggle with the emotions that these ever new vehicles stir within us. With your Boss....you know what you have and it's still a pretty significant vehicle as has been pointed out. Will it be in the top 10 of all the performance categories? No......but for a two year run, the amazing RoadRunner engine and probably the best handling live rear axle Mustang ever...it will be special for a very long time. I was contemplating the very same switch as you....this past summer / fall. The exception for me....I could not locate a dealer with an allocation that didn't want to charge me $20-$25K above sticker. I decided to keep my 2013 Boss and ended up buying a completely different 2016 muscle car. No matter what.....the Boss will always stir positive emotions hearing that engine rev!

IamRacerX

Established Member
" Think I'm going to sit tight and enjoy my Boss. Maybe grab a Focus RS to replace my DD.... That might just be the right answer for me. "

I think that's a pretty wise position to take at this point. It's tough to struggle with the emotions that these ever new vehicles stir within us. With your Boss....you know what you have and it's still a pretty significant vehicle as has been pointed out. Will it be in the top 10 of all the performance categories? No......but for a two year run, the amazing RoadRunner engine and probably the best handling live rear axle Mustang ever...it will be special for a very long time. I was contemplating the very same switch as you....this past summer / fall. The exception for me....I could not locate a dealer with an allocation that didn't want to charge me $20-$25K above sticker. I decided to keep my 2013 Boss and ended up buying a completely different 2016 muscle car. No matter what.....the Boss will always stir positive emotions hearing that engine rev!

Agreed! How do you like your Hellcat? That's a great 1-2 punch, owning a Boss and a Hellcat! Awesome!

senderofan

Established Member
Agreed! How do you like your Hellcat? That's a great 1-2 punch, owning a Boss and a Hellcat! Awesome!

Unfortunately I purchased it on December 17, 2015 and Intercity Lines just delivered it two weeks ago. It's not been on the road yet. Hopefully some time in April when the snow / ice / road salt are long gone. There is a very strict 500 mile break in protocol to follow before I can see what she can really do:).

I had really felt the calling for a GT 350 with Tech Package late last summer...but I couldn't find a dealer to play ball. Found the Cat, just rolled off the delivery truck, at a dealer more than willing to do MSRP. Once we made the deal.....I thought long and hard about letting the Boss go. Couldn't do it....it handles way better than it should....is one of 425 world wide in PW with just floor mats and car cover. And that glorious RoadRunner engine!!! It's always going to have a special place in my heart. The cat....well...it's going to be easier for me to get in and out of. It's also going to be a more comfortable cruiser since my Boss's suspension is set up for the track. And a pulley change and tune.....it will have more than enough getty up for straight line fun. ( We were able to wash the Cat on January 28th....it was 39 degrees outside and the car was dusty from storage)

I again applaud you for taking your time. The GT 350 is the "Top of the food chain" for now. I just happen to think the Boss is extra special since it really is the origin of what is turning out to be some of the most amazing mustangs ever produced.......and I say that as a life long fan of the Boss 9, GT 500's and 428 Mach One. If you decide to get a GT 350...I'm sure you'll be extremely happy with it. I just think nice Boss's will start becoming a more rare find as time goes by. That's why I'm hanging on to mine.

Last edited:

IamRacerX

Established Member
Unfortunately I purchased it on December 17, 2015 and Intercity Lines just delivered it two weeks ago. It's not been on the road yet. Hopefully some time in April when the snow / ice / road salt are long gone. There is a very strict 500 mile break in protocol to follow before I can see what she can really do:).

I had really felt the calling for a GT 350 with Tech Package late last summer...but I couldn't find a dealer to play ball. Found the Cat, just rolled off the delivery truck, at a dealer more than willing to do MSRP. Once we made the deal.....I thought long and hard about letting the Boss go. Couldn't do it....it handles way better than it should....is one of 425 world wide in PW with just floor mats and car cover. And that glorious RoadRunner engine!!! It's always going to have a special place in my heart. The cat....well...it's going to be easier for me to get in and out of. It's also going to be a more comfortable cruiser since my Boss's suspension is set up for the track. And a pulley change and tune.....it will have more than enough getty up for straight line fun. ( We were able to wash the Cat on January 28th....it was 39 degrees outside and the car was dusty from storage)

I again applaud you for taking your time. The GT 350 is the "Top of the food chain" for now. I just happen to think the Boss is extra special since it really is the origin of what is turning out to be some of the most amazing mustangs ever produced.......and I say that as a life long fan of the Boss 9, GT 500's and 428 Mach One. If you decide to get a GT 350...I'm sure you'll be extremely happy with it. I just think nice Boss's will start becoming a more rare find as time goes by. That's why I'm hanging on to mine.
That's tough to get the Hellcat and you can't drive... Hopefully the weather will get better quick. As far as me taking my time, I'm getting old I guess... Lol I'm not excited at all about the car. There are a few within 200 miles that haven't moved, but I haven't even called on them. I honestly believe if I truly wanted one I would already have one. The Boss is special! It's more than the sum of it's parts imo. I'm leaning towards keeping it at this point.

Tank5879

Established Member
Its stories like this that I feel should make ford motor company take notice. I mean, I understand the concepts of limited production, exclusivity, etc.....at the same time you have willing and ready buyers out there that just give up and go elsewhere because of the way this system works. it's very unfortunate. Me personally, remember going thru this same BS back in 07 when the GT500 came out, so I bought my mystichrome instead. I think the real big picture issue is not so much us ford guys, we will always be loyal, but with this car, Ford is trying to get into a higher market-the Porsche and BMW crowd. I just wonder if anybody at ford realizes that this type of customer is way different than the "normal" mustang customer. These customers want their car the way that they want it, and they want it now. Can you imagine if you ordered a car last may, and it took this long! probably be faster to get a car built in germany and shipped to the US! the production delays, the panel alignment, and the experience at the dealer level with ADMs is really a big issue that will continue to get worse as more and more Ford Performance vehicles come out.

Racer, have you actively looked at getting an RS, I've heard they are only making 2000 of them so I wonder if you will have the same issues as your GT350

Last edited:

Krohn

Established Member
I see your dilemma. I'm not in the same situation but for THAT much more money and all the press hype, you'd think you'd be giddy with the thought.
Does the GT350 look like $25k of more fun than your Boss?
More NA power, higher reving, beautiful interior, sweet seats, flat bottom steering wheel, wicked exhaust, IRS, intense current press hype, brand new warranty, and still oversteers like a Mustang should... i don't know but it's close.

I personally like having the coolest car on the road but I know for $8k I'd have just enough fun with my Boss and a new blower. My $0.02

IamRacerX

Established Member
A follow up on my situation. After a visit to my dealer to either push my order to a '17 or back out I decided to hold off.... The final blow for me might have been sitting in a few S550s and realizing they have less headroom... At 6'2" I don't need less.... I'm going to hold on to my Boss and see what grabs my interest in the future....
Until then I'm going to be enjoying driving my Boss!

My dealer has my ordered GT350 coming if anyone is interested.... Red/black striped track pack, car cover.... They are claiming they are going to be able to get 5-10k over... we'll see....

Last edited:

IamRacerX

Established Member
Update....

I ended up purchasing a new Daily driver. I still have my Boss, but I added a new SS sedan. I picked up a new left over 15 at an amazing deal. The car is really something. So instead of a new GT350 and my old DD, I have my Boss and an SS.... Life is good!

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Anyone else feel a little under whelmed by the raw test numbers gathered on the GT350?
I love my Boss but I do have a GT350 TP on order. The test numbers seem to say the two cars are very close in performance. Here some test numbers to compare.
GT350 TP vs base Boss 302
View attachment 56557
View attachment 56558

You are looking at it wrong. Straight line in the 1/4 might he close, but on the highway the 350 will have an edge. Also, the bigger picture and the whole point of the car, is the complete package and overall handling.

The 350 TP destroys the Boss there, just like it was meant to. No question about it. If you can find one for MSRP, the difference in value to your current Boss, would seem very justified.

The only area where I feel like the ol' Boss is superior, is the engine. I am not a fan of the FPC and possible vibrational issues (long term). The Boss' motor is much more stout and I think, sounds better.

I agree with your comments, but it's not just straight line numbers. Lat acc is equal as well as braking and figure 8. We all know the trap speed is not equal and the 350 performs better than the sum of it's numbers. I would not buy a Camaro, but I have to applaud GM for bringing the heat with the new Camaro. My brother works for GM and said he's heard that the new 1LE is actually running with or better than the old Z28 on track. That sounds like it'll out perform the gt350 and run close to the R?? Could be internal corporate hype though.....
It's a great time to be a car guy though for sure.

Im pretty sure the new 1LE will not outperform the ol' Z28. It will definifely close the gap, but will not beat it.

I believe this to be the current the food chain:

350R > Z28 > 350 TP > 350 / ZL1 > 1LE / 16 SS > 15 GT TP > Boss

Update....

I ended up purchasing a new Daily driver. I still have my Boss, but I added a new SS sedan. I picked up a new left over 15 at an amazing deal. The car is really something. So instead of a new GT350 and my old DD, I have my Boss and an SS.... Life is good!

Nice. Lets see some pics.

Users who are viewing this thread