Boneyarded (Airplane content)

AfricanSnowOwl

Established Member
So last week I had to honor of getting to retire one of our Jets. It had been in service for over 45 years and logged almost 30,000 flight hours. We took it on it's last flight ever, to the boneyard in Tuscon AZ.
(This is all common knowledge BTW, so no OPSEC here)
C-58_zpsu2ublahw.jpg

These C-5A models are all slowly being phased out over the next few years to be replaced by the C-5M model. Theres only about 7 left, all stationed at Lackland AFB.

C-52_zpsrortaaqi.jpg

If you live in Tuscon you definitely either saw or heard us approaching as we came in to land.
C-55_zpswmdolorh.jpg

We did an overhead approach followed by a few low level 360s over the city to space ourselves behind some A-10s
C-56_zpseo4xglt7.jpg

As we crossed the runway threshold
C-53_zpszrockwop.jpg

Everybody signed above their crew position...
C-57_zpsfy508nzw.jpg

And also on the outside around the door
C-54_zpsufc3cnq3.jpg

And now the jets final resting spot in the boneyard. It will spend the next few years kept in a status that maintains the jet as "flyable" just in case the air force decides they desperately need this tail back in action, but after that it will be used for parts and or shredded.

crazycarlo

Established Member
Nice. I actually looked at the Boneyard on Google the other day and was sad. It appears all but 7 F-14's have been destroyed.

Led_Zep

Don't tread on me
Established Member
Very cool, some of my old squadrons tomcats are out there, I need to take a drive down.

BacNBlak

WOODY
Established Member
There is something creepy but cool about boneyards. I'm more familiar with the James river ghost fleet. It's just weird to think of the history that these pieces of equipment have been involved in. Thanks for sharing!

Zemedici

Established Member
How big is that boneyard? Thank you for sharing. First time I've ever seen or heard of a 'boneyard' or what its used for :beer:

AfricanSnowOwl

Established Member
Not sure exactly how big the boneyard at Davis-Monthan AFB is, but it took about 2 hours for the guy to drive us around the whole thing only stopping a few times. This boneyard is strictly military and NASA. There is also one in New Mexico for retired civilian aircraft.
It was definitely a cool/creepy feeling seeing all those jets/choppers. Some of which were involved in major historical events.

crazycarlo

Established Member
There are only 7 of them left in the yard. The rest were either sent out to different places or destroyed. I was VF-101 and VF-143. I miss working on the Big Cat.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
I used to work on C-5 turbofans in Delaware, don't miss pulling those monster motors!

Planter

Banned
Nice. I actually looked at the Boneyard on Google the other day and was sad. It appears all but 7 F-14's have been destroyed.

not to fear, there's at least ONE still operational and flying. It's owned and funded by a private individual. I saw it at Thunder Over Louisville 2011 in Louisville, KY.

10351818_1662078984026301_8083941831024478780_n.jpg

wish someone had been able to buy an F-14 Tomcat and keep it strictly for flying airshows. Miss that damn jet!]

edit: my bad, i thought you originally said F-4's, but I see now you said F-14's. I might be dyslexic and not realize it. lol.

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
Not sure exactly how big the boneyard at Davis-Monthan AFB is, but it took about 2 hours for the guy to drive us around the whole thing only stopping a few times. This boneyard is strictly military and NASA. There is also one in New Mexico for retired civilian aircraft.
It was definitely a cool/creepy feeling seeing all those jets/choppers. Some of which were involved in major historical events.

That would be creepy. Awesome place to take pictures, though.

jimmy77

Established Member
Shes just a pup with less than 30000 flight hours. Lufthansa has numerous 747-400's with 100k Plus fight hours. The C5 is a neat plane...I like em wide and curvy :)

Prototype007

Established Member
Glad you got to share pictures with us! Stories and pictures like this is what will lead to documentaries for our future to look back on.

We've got a local boneyard for civilian aircraft. Seems like a whole new fleet of stuff shows up every 5-6 years.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Very cool plane. There's another big boneyard in Victorville, CA which houses mostly civilian planes. Chockfull of old 747s.

AfricanSnowOwl

Established Member
Yeah, no A models were or will be upgraded to the M. They've been using the newer B models. There's two C models(NASA modified A models) out flying around but those are also scheduled to get boneyarded.

Users who are viewing this thread