Bolt on Focus RS 1/4 Mile Pass

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Well - Let me phrase, these are a great cruising car. I'm aware they aren't built for the 1/4, but for the money they cost, that is not impressive to me at all and I wouldn't waste money on it to get it faster down the track.

Blackoyote

Established Member
I love the RS, but to play devil's advocate, this was in almost negative DA from what the commenters are saying...so this won't be typical for cars with these same mods in most of the country.

In the description: Mods include: Upgraded Intercooler, Charge Pipe, Wastegate and a Tune.
Times seem about right for the mods.

Maybe this will impress or be more to your liking for some of you "meh" people.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

not sure if serious?

Not really impressive, Evo's been doing that since 03'

+1.

I went 12.2@115 in 1999 with the EVO's older brother.... a 1992 Eclipse GSX with nothing more than race gas, increased fuel pressure, 21psi boost, and race gas tuned on an Apex AFC. Car had stock turbo, stock IC, stock injectors... stock everything pretty much lol.

These FoRS's are just not impressing.

DSGCOBRA24

Established Member
not sure if serious?

+1.

I went 12.2@115 in 1999 with the EVO's older brother.... a 1992 Eclipse GSX with nothing more than race gas, increased fuel pressure, 21psi boost, and race gas tuned on an Apex AFC. Car had stock turbo, stock IC, stock injectors... stock everything pretty much lol.

These FoRS's are just not impressing.
+1
ford is super late to the AWD 4 cylinder turbo game

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
12.8 @109? What bolt on's? Thought these were suppose to be Mustang GT killers.
They are on a road course.

These cars really aren't very good drag racers. They run about the same as the Evos and STis because it's underturbo'd for low end and mid range. The benefit is there is very little turbo lag, which becomes obvious when you compare 5-60 times. On the street and stop light to stop light, that's pretty important.

Focus RS 5-60 time : 5.7
STi 5-60 time : 6.7
Evo IX 5-60 time : 6.7

All from Car and Driver.

Add in the extra weight and it's painfully obvious why it only runs similar times to the older cars.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
^^ good point.

Has anyone gotten into the RS's head yet? I know a weak flowing cylinder head is a big problem is with FoST and the Ecoboost mustang.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
^^ good point.

Has anyone gotten into the RS's head yet? I know a weak flowing cylinder head is a big problem is with FoST and the Ecoboost mustang.
Cosworth tuned it.

And it's mostly the "headifold" that's the issue. The car is still pretty young though, really only a couple shops are even looking into big turbo options. Full Blown made 480/470 with a big turbo before the stock clutch went, with a 6 puck they made 501/476 and ran out of fuel (with a secondary port setup). They ended up deciding to build it before going any further. So that's where we are now.

I don't think anyone knows where the limits are. This car is still only ~9 months old.

SVTPete83

Established Member
I have one. They aren't insanely quick. I would guess low 13s stock. Gearing is really ideal for the road course. Which is where this car would spank most all other cars. The handling and power delivery of the RS is out of this world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fulanititoo8198

Established Member
I don't feel so bad for my Evo X MR times then.. stock 13.2 @ 101 maybe 13.1 can't remember. Someone with an RS hit me up lets line them up.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
They are on a road course.

These cars really aren't very good drag racers. They run about the same as the Evos and STis because it's underturbo'd for low end and mid range. The benefit is there is very little turbo lag, which becomes obvious when you compare 5-60 times. On the street and stop light to stop light, that's pretty important.

Focus RS 5-60 time : 5.7
STi 5-60 time : 6.7
Evo IX 5-60 time : 6.7

All from Car and Driver.

Add in the extra weight and it's painfully obvious why it only runs similar times to the older cars.

IDC about all that. In threads on this very forum there were people swearing this car would run with the Mustang GT bone stock in the 1/4. Now that the car is available it has been no where near the Mustang GT in the 1/4 stock. I couldn't care less about road course times because I don't plan to be on one, and neither will about 90% of the RS's purchased.

blk02edge

Established Member
IDC about all that. In threads on this very forum there were people swearing this car would run with the Mustang GT bone stock in the 1/4. Now that the car is available it has been no where near the Mustang GT in the 1/4 stock. I couldn't care less about road course times because I don't plan to be on one, and neither will about 90% of the RS's purchased.
You think people are buying RS's to drag and roll race? No.. I'll bet 90% of them that actually get used will be on windy roads and auto X. And those people couldn't care less that some people thought it would beat a gt and were wrong. I'm even preferring a focus ST over the viper and cobra these days.

DSGCOBRA24

Established Member
You think people are buying RS's to drag and roll race? No.. I'll bet 90% of them that actually get used will be on windy roads and auto X. And those people couldn't care less that some people thought it would beat a gt and were wrong. I'm even preferring a focus ST over the viper and cobra these days.

Lol. No way 90% of RS owners are road racing them, maybe 15% will. I bet more owners will street race or even take them down the 1/4 mile than road race them.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
A 350hp car was going to have a tough time with a 435hp car in a straight line.

And a surprising amount of these owners are road racing guys. Every single person I have met in Colorado has tracked their car. The RS adrenaline academy filled all 414 spots in like 48 hours, I think 350 of those were in the first 8 hours and there is outrage that there weren't more openings. Ford responded by continuing the school until 2019, even though this should be the last year of production for this car. I've never been apart of a group that tracks their cars as often as the RS guys do.

blk02edge

Established Member
Lol. No way 90% of RS owners are road racing them, maybe 15% will. I bet more owners will street race or even take them down the 1/4 mile than road race them.
I'm talking about people who actually bought them to use them. I'll bet almost nobody went to the dealership thinking "sweet my new drag car". You'd be surprised how many get used for twisties

DSGCOBRA24

Established Member
I'm talking about people who actually bought them to use them. I'll bet almost nobody went to the dealership thinking "sweet my new drag car". You'd be surprised how many get used for twisties
I didn't say people are buying these as their new drag cars. What I meant is, most buy these to daily drive and I'm sure will do some roll racing when running into other performance cars on the road. And if they start modding them, then they will most likely take them to the 1/4 mile to see what they can do.

Users who are viewing this thread