BMW quality these days?

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
Seriously considering selling the Pony and getting a BMW for a daily and leaving the truck on the driveway more. Looking for a model in the $40-50K range, haven't sorted the models and options out just yet, so no specifics. Any opinions on quality with models in that price range.

And used isn't out of the realm of possibility if a previous year is "better" than current.

_Snake_

Established Member
That $ should get you a nice 2-3 year old mid-upper end BMW (5 Series or better).

Research depreciation before buying new. Literally 50% in 3 years.

I just turned in a 2018 Audi lease and quality / reliability of the German cars is much better than 10 years ago. Zero issues with the car, but I swore I’d never own it unless it had an extended warranty.

FJohnny

Established Member
Have a look at the X2 M35i. 4.5s zero to 60, 4yr 50k mi warranty. Sell it after that if you're afraid.

My wife's X1 is 4 years old, great mileage, handles like a sports car and is as tight and squeak free as day 1.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Do your research, they are mostly great cars. I just like them because they paid for my GT350.

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
That $ should get you a nice 2-3 year old mid-upper end BMW (5 Series or better).

Research depreciation before buying new. Literally 50% in 3 years.

I just turned in a 2018 Audi lease and quality / reliability of the German cars is much better than 10 years ago. Zero issues with the car, but I swore I’d never own it unless it had an extended warranty.

Thanks!

Break My Wallet.
If you get anything make sure it’s the 6 cylinder.

Pick your poison.

Okay, will make that a consideration.

Have a look at the X2 M35i. 4.5s zero to 60, 4yr 50k mi warranty. Sell it after that if you're afraid.

My wife's X1 is 4 years old, great mileage, handles like a sports car and is as tight and squeak free as day 1.

Thoroughly familiar with warranty's and cost of ownership with these, one of the first things I considered. Not much different than my truck.

Do your research, they are mostly great cars. I just like them because they paid for my GT350.

Thanks.

One good thing is it won't get a ton of mileage, unless my wife swipes it. The most mileage I do is going back and forth to the farm and I take the truck for that. If I only go back and forth to work for a week, I will total about 20 miles. Be pretty surprised if I put more than 7k miles a year on it.

And I will eventually go back to a speed demon, this isn't forever.

More thinking and looking commences...

Recon

Established Member
Another thing to do is stay away from the 4 cylinders. There’s already a class action lawsuit on that engine.

Pick your poison.

MG0h3

Established Member
Junk.

I was a full time auto tech so this isn’t a one experience point of view

Everything is over engineered but breaks.

All the little shit that should be simple is constantly failing. Door locks. Handles. Switches etc.

I can also provide my personal view since I had one GF with a Volvo (printed circuit taillights wtf) and another with a BMW (more shit broken than on my 2002 Focus).

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

kaz109

Established Member
I have had an old M3 that I have been to death at the track both stock and modded and a C63 that was daily driven for 6 years ...... never an issue with either one and MUCH more dependable than any GM I have owned .

I think most of troubles I hear about are 3 year old base 3 and 5 series and 7 series with electrical issues

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
the M cars seem to be the best of the breed. the M3/4s are pretty sold. the M5/6 have gotten better but that engine had some issues.

Mercedes is great these days. from 2015+ MB are very reliable on the whole, remember German cars always have more tech, and more cutting edge tech so they get hammered at times. if you buy the right car you'll have no major issues. let me put it this way, id buy a Mercedes over a FCA product and ive got first person experience with both.

MG0h3

Established Member
I have had an old M3 that I have been to death at the track both stock and modded and a C63 that was daily driven for 6 years ...... never an issue with either one and MUCH more dependable than any GM I have owned .

I think most of troubles I hear about are 3 year old base 3 and 5 series and 7 series with electrical issues

Yes. Lots of electrical gremlins too

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
ZERO issues with mine. None. As a DD, very comfortable but can be an animal if needed. I can get 40mpg at 75 on the interstate

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
We had a 2014 maybe 15 BMW 335i M sport "bought it new", at the same time had a 2014 Kia "bought it new", the BMW was way more trouble than the Kia. I am just comparing repairs and cost of ownership here. I spent a lot of time in a rental car "not a loner BMW" while the BMW was in the shop. We sold it with 47k and never turned a wrench on the Kia and sold it with 98k. No more BMW for us.

My94GT

Established Member
I think you could ask a number of people and find problems with all brands. These days if you’re buying a new car and expecting to get 100k+ problem free miles I personally think that’s being short sighted.

every make and manufacture has a mirage of driver aid features through their line ups, adaptive braking, suspension, etc. it just isn’t inexpensive to repair cars any longer and it definitely isn’t something most people have the tools for.

I run a collision repair shop so I regularly see a wide variety of brands and I can’t think of a new car where I disassemble parts and don’t have to recalibrate with oem scan equipment. That alone drives repair costs.

I still question BMW as many I see come through the shop have issues but I see a lot of Mercedes and they seem to be on par with a Honda or Toyota offering. Parts are definitely more expensive for German brands but not always as much as they are made out to be.

delvin.a

Established Member
Hope you got deep pockets if there is no warranty on it. Trust me everything on a BMW or Mercedes is gold when it goes out

That’s not so true if you do a little research. Most of the maintenance parts are from a supplier and those suppliers sell the same parts sans bmw branding for much less. fcpeuro.com and ecstuning.com are pretty good at directing you to the supplier parts.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
I had a '00 ///M Roadster (E36/7) S52 3.2 i6. If it wasn't for the subframe issues I would of held onto it. Once you overhaul the cooling system it was really reliable. The problem was the Z3 was basically a mix of E36 and E30 and not designed for the power of the S52 S54 (S50 outside US) and it would rip the rear diff from the subframe spot weld by spot weld.
I'm actually looking at getting an E89 Z4 35i ///M sport or Sd35is to replace my Escape that was totaled. Only thing beside electrical gremlins (in the convertible top and the relay for the pump) is the blow off valves on the N54's turbos like to get loose over time/rattle. The Sd30 (N52) is essentially an N54 without turbos.

Last edited:

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Edit... ^^^^ Hmmmm.

Back on topic:

We have had over 15 of them (we have 5 currently).
X5's (on our 6th, a 2019) all have all been bought new. They started as leases, with warranty and included maintenance. We bought one out, and kept it to 100k miles. Was a V-8, and there is some truth to staying with the 6cyl. It tarted to nickle and dime us toward the end. X3 have had 4, we have one still and its an 08. Around 108k. Has had some issues along the way, but nothing too major. Make sure you have an independent shop picked out. You will NOT want to pay for the dealer service (regular maintenance I do).

I would try to get a CPO car with a warranty, if your not looking for new. Also keep in mind, if your going new, I believe they are the only luxury brand that still offers full included maintenance.

We have been happy with them

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My daughter has a 2017 BMW 3 Series 330i xDrive AWD Gran Turismo. Daily driver. It's been a great daily for her. The hatch is great for loading large items (which she's done numerous times) and yet it offers great sedan seating and space. As far as I know, she's had it to the dealer once for unplanned service. The fact that she still has it says she is very satisfied. She's happy with the 2.0 motor but if I was the buyer I would have opted for the I6.

If a hatchback sedan piques your interest, consider the Kia Stinger GT (3.3 turbo making 365hp).
mobile.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread