BMW M6 vs GT500

JC300zx

Established Member
joegt38 said:
Theres been alot of people getting used to launching these cars and Ive seen and Im sure there are alot of people on this board they are in the 1.9s on stock rubber.
Guess time will tell and practice will help.

Sure ill agree on a Terminator a 1.8-1.9 60' on OEM street tires is feasible on a prepared track but the Shelby has even more power and a heftier curb weight. When people start drag racing their Shelbys then we will see what a bone stock will due with practice but remember an M6 can run mid to low 12's without much practice w/ launch control. Even crappy magazine drivers have done it! Ill ask my neighbor (has an Maroon M6) on day to let me sit with him but he told me the car is plenty faster than his Continental GT.

joegt38

Established Member
JC300zx said:
Sure ill agree on a Terminator a 1.8-1.9 60' on OEM street tires is feasible on a prepared track but the Shelby has even more power and a heftier curb weight. When people start drag racing their Shelbys then we will see what a bone stock will due with practice but remember an M6 can run mid to low 12's without much practice w/ launch control. Even crappy magazine drivers have done it! Ill ask my neighbor (has an Maroon M6) on day to let me sit with him but he told me the car is plenty faster than his Continental GT.
That GTs not that fast but pimp as hell, I like it better then the Ms....

Jay what times have you seen on you BMW boards from the new M5s??

JC300zx

Established Member
Best Ive seen is 12.5X forgot the trap speed. Most of them are going through their long break-in period so maybe in the next few months will see what they can do. But an Audi friend (SCCA instructor) just got back from the "Ring" in Germany and test drove the new Rs4, M5, and S6 (w/ the Lamborghini motor) said the M5 was the fastest but the Rs4 the better handler.

joegt38

Established Member
JC300zx said:
Best Ive seen is 12.5X forgot the trap speed. Most of them are going through their long break-in period so maybe in the next few months will see what they can do. But an Audi friend (SCCA instructor) just got back from the "Ring" in Germany and test drove the new Rs4, M5, and S6 (w/ the Lamborghini motor) said the M5 was the fastest but the Rs4 the better handler.
Sounds good, in your opinion you see the 6 trapping 121? We both read the same write up with the new M5 and M6 and they both trapped the same and it was 118 and the 6 was a tenth faster or they were the same.... You remember??

JC300zx

Established Member
In the BMW magazines i see the M5 traps at 116 and the M6 at 119. This sounds about right as the M5 is heavier then the m6. I believe the M6 is under 3800lbs and the m5 is near 4000lbs. Can it hit 121 quite possible with the way the Germans build their motors with such tight tolerances there can easily be some motors well over the 507hp rating. Plus the car revs soo high for a V10 and with multiple throttle bodies and good air conditions I dont see it being impossible.

Last edited:

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
TORNATIC!! said:
I'm sorry but the Shelby would probably be crushed by a 507 hp M5/M6 on top end. It'd probably be a good 1/4 race but that's not what the M5/M6 is built for. 0-150 in 21 secs one test got for an BMW M5 which is heavier than the M6 coupe. That Bimmer just keeps pulling harder and harder the faster you go.

I hate this reasoning with a passion. Who the hell cares what the top speed is? How many times are you going to roll up to a car on the road and be like "Hey man, lets race to top speed". That doesn't happen.
SO WHO CARES!!!! I'm not interested in racing someone to 150+mph, and I'm certain most other people aren't as well.

baldurann

Established Member
I personally don't think the M6 will have much better of a top-end than the Shelby. Look at the tranny gearing in the Shelby, it's FAR superior than what is in the 03/04 Cobra's. It's still nothing compared to the badass gearing of the 7-speed SMG box, but I think the Shelby's much better torque rating will keep it right next to the M6. We all shall see someday!

JUGRNAUT

Banned
an E46 M3 will beat a GT stock for stock things being equal.

And i still find it humorous how some of you will swear on MM&FF as if it were the bible. It is a form of propaganda magazine like any other brand based mag. Until some GT500's are out in the real world at the tracks, i dont believe anything of what they will run. I do know 460rwhp and 4000lbs isnt going to get much better than a mid 12 second pass....

Dave07997S

Established Member
TORNATIC!! said:
I'm sorry but the Shelby would probably be crushed by a 507 hp M5/M6 on top end. It'd probably be a good 1/4 race but that's not what the M5/M6 is built for. 0-150 in 21 secs one test got for an BMW M5 which is heavier than the M6 coupe. That Bimmer just keeps pulling harder and harder the faster you go.
Totally disagree...check out the stats on the M6 from Car and Drived

C/D TEST RESULTS
ACCELERATION: Seconds
Zero to 30 mph: 1.8
40 mph: 2.4
50 mph: 3.3
60 mph: 4.1
70 mph: 5.1
80 mph: 6.3
90 mph: 7.5
100 mph: 8.9
110 mph: 10.5
120 mph: 12.2
130 mph: 14.4
140 mph: 16.8
150 mph: 19.5
160 mph: 23.2
Street start, 5–60 mph: 4.5
Top-gear acceleration, 30–50 mph (in 6th gear): 5.6
50–70 mph: 7.3
Standing ¼-mile: 12.4 sec @ 121 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 162 mph

0-150 in 19.5 sec, a 121mph in the 1320. Sorry the M6 stock for stock is a quicker car than the GT500. Nothing to be ashamed of though, as the M6 bases in the mid 90K range. Car and Driver mentioned this car was as quick as the last 911 Turbo they tested.

I think the problem is with the light rear end of the GT500 and all that torque the car just can't hook up. Not to mention very tall gears for the GT500.

Dave

Dave07997S

Established Member
joegt38 said:
Sounds good, in your opinion you see the 6 trapping 121? We both read the same write up with the new M5 and M6 and they both trapped the same and it was 118 and the 6 was a tenth faster or they were the same.... You remember??

See my post...

Dave07997S

Established Member
Here's a 12.6 M3 that is very lightly modded with light weight wheels and no back seats..stock the car ran a 12.74@107mph. Anyway enjoy...notice the 1.75 60 ft. time on the stock Continental tires.

BMW M3 E46 12.6 run

Also, Lee's best times in the car with 4.10's and D/R's along with a AFE CAI and software was a 12.2@111mph. Not bad for a little 3.2L I6 normally aspirated.

Dave

Last edited:

04svtdriver

I need another sports car
Established Member
C6 Z06 said:
Somebody doesn't know BMW very well. If you meet an M5/M3/M6 on the track or street you will then know how fast they are. :thumbsup:
Yeah I drove my buddies M3 I like that LUANCH Cont. it's pretty sweet it seems doggy about the first 100ft then it takes off. That car is really sweet.

Dave07997S

Established Member
04svtdriver said:
Yeah I drove my buddies M3 I like that LUANCH Cont. it's pretty sweet it seems doggy about the first 100ft then it takes off. That car is really sweet.

Must of been a SMG car, the non SMG cars are quicker. Also the US cars don't get the Euro launch control which allows the Euro cars to leave at a higher rpm. Then again if you use the Euro launch control your warranty is voided after 30 launches. The electronics does keep track of the LC activation.

Dave

joegt38

Established Member
Dave01M3 said:
See my post...
That is the whole debate, if that was a type Ooooo... Hey it very well might 121 IMO that seems a bit to high for the power to weight, I know the gearing plays a part but who knows the thing might dyno much higher then what they rate.

I don't want anyone to think Im hatin on the M series cause Im not Id take it over Benz and any Ford. This new GT500 is going to be a monster, its far superior to the 03/04, everything about it is an upgrade from the motor to the brakes, tranny and so on... The more I think about the base price or price as tested still isn't bad compared to what your getting (not what some places are tryin to sell it for, 70K I'll take 2 in 6 months for that price).

There was a good comparison in some other thread with the differences between the 03/04 and the Shelby, I wish I could find it. Very interesting...

joegt38

Established Member
JUGRNAUT said:
And i still find it humorous how some of you will swear on MM&FF as if it were the bible. It is a form of propaganda magazine like any other brand based mag. Until some GT500's are out in the real world at the tracks, i dont believe anything of what they will run. I do know 460rwhp and 4000lbs isnt going to get much better than a mid 12 second pass....
Again MM&FF isn't that bias, they ran the best times I EVER SEEN for an M3 and SS, they aint Fords are they.....

Think what you want about mid 12s, I figured people on here would be open minded since most people DRAG RACE on here. Yes 12.2 @ 117 is a damn good time BUT if you are a drag racer you would know that, that run wasn't all that since he only pulled a 2.1 60'. Do you consider a 2.1 a good launch?
Im also sure he powershifted the GT500, you know the other mags are not powershifting or the trap would be higher then 112, it make the power for a high trap. The SMG in the BMWs don't require a pro driver no need to powershift thats why the times right off the bat are going to be great it doesn't take rocket science to launch an auto. The GT500 should be running low 12 with the power its making, take a look at a pullied 03/04. The power should be near the same with the GT500 and a 03/04 with that HAS ran 11s with street tires between 117-120, how is it hard to believe?

Last edited:

Dave07997S

Established Member
joegt38 said:
Again MM&FF isn't that bias, they ran the best times I EVER SEEN for an M3 and SS, they aint Fords are they.....

Think what you want about mid 12s, I figured people on here would be open minded since most people DRAG RACE on here. Yes 12.2 @ 117 is a damn good time BUT if you are a drag racer you would know that, that run wasn't all that since he only pulled a 2.1 60'. Do you consider a 2.1 a good launch?
Im also sure he powershifted the GT500, you know the other mags are not powershifting or the trap would be higher then 112, it make the power for a high trap. The SMG in the BMWs don't require a pro driver no need to powershift thats why the times right off the bat are going to be great it doesn't take rocket science to launch an auto. The GT500 should be running low 12 with the power its making, take a look at a pullied 03/04. The power should be near the same with the GT500 and a 03/04 with that HAS ran 11s with street tires between 117-120, how is it hard to believe?

SMG cars don't run as quick as non SMG cars. The best stock M3 time with SMG is low to mid 13's, while M3's without the SMG have run in the 12's bone stock. 6MT M5 and M6 cars will be available in the US later this year. Well C&D did 121mph, I don't know how this could be a typo. A typo would be 122mph or 111mph which we all know a M6 will run quite a bit faster than that as several other mags posted 117-118mph. The M6's run this good due to the maximizing of the package, which the GT500 is far from. Thats the deals with the M cars. They don't do it with just hp alone, with the 50/50 weight distribution and M axles they really launch nice, and the gearing is a perfect match as well.

I hate using Mag times, but I don't know of any owners of a M6 that have hit the 1320...When the 6MT M6 hits the street later this year or early next I wouldn't be suprised if the times dip to the 12.0's or even high 11's.

I just think Ford in an effort to control wheel spin with this car due to its light ass really didn't get the gearing right with this thing. Not to mention why is a DOHC V8 only spinning to 6200rpm?? The M5/M6 and even the M3 will sing past 8K rpm.

I think its wonderful that we can get a car (GT500) that can run neck and neck with a M6, a car costing more than twice that of a GT500. Got to give credit where credit is due though. Those M5/M6 cars are beasts...either way I don't think it was a typo

Dave

joegt38

Established Member
Dave01M3 said:
SMG cars don't run as quick as non SMG cars. The best stock M3 time with SMG is low to mid 13's, while M3's without the SMG have run in the 12's bone stock. 6MT M5 and M6 cars will be available in the US later this year. Well C&D did 121mph, I don't know how this could be a typo. A typo would be 122mph or 111mph which we all know a M6 will run quite a bit faster than that as several other mags posted 117-118mph. The M6's run this good due to the maximizing of the package, which the GT500 is far from. Thats the deals with the M cars. They don't do it with just hp alone, with the 50/50 weight distribution and M axles they really launch nice, and the gearing is a perfect match as well.

I hate using Mag times, but I don't know of any owners of a M6 that have hit the 1320...When the 6MT M6 hits the street later this year or early next I wouldn't be suprised if the times dip to the 12.0's or even high 11's.

I just think Ford in an effort to control wheel spin with this car due to its light ass really didn't get the gearing right with this thing. Not to mention why is a DOHC V8 only spinning to 6200rpm?? The M5/M6 and even the M3 will sing past 8K rpm.

I think its wonderful that we can get a car (GT500) that can run neck and neck with a M6, a car costing more than twice that of a GT500. Got to give credit where credit is due though. Those M5/M6 cars are beasts...either way I don't think it was a typo

Dave
No doubt the M cars are great and as I said I would own one over most Benz and any Chebby or Ford (just don't have that kinda money tho).
:beer:

Dave07997S

Established Member
joegt38 said:
No doubt the M cars are great and as I said I would own one over most Benz and any Chebby or Ford (just don't have that kinda money tho).
:beer:

You will one day... :beer:

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread