BMW M6 vs GT500

white98snake

Established Member
Hmm well stock/stock i believe the m6 will beat the shelby heads up, but keep in mind that the sticker on the shelby is wat like less then 45k correct? and the sticker on the m6 is closer to 100k+ so dollar for dollar the shelby is a faster car but id take an m6 over a shelby or any other car for that matter any day of the week lol

tedstriker

Established Member
Antagon said:
Just put it this way. On the street, the M5/M6 will stomp the GT500 for the same reason the E55/CLS55 etc do so well. Theres enough electronics in those cars to make sure no matter how crappy of a driver you are, all you do is stomp the pedal and you're set.

Agreed. The GT500 would get smoked by an M5. If you modded the gt500 it would be a better race.

Why would anyone buy a GT500, if their are cars like M5's and M6's; Vettes, Vipers etc out there? They don't seem to be much faster than the old terminators. Plus they scream "Redneck!". These will be trailerpark kings, that's about it. Ford really missed the mark on this one.

Nick85

Banned
Since when was this about which car was better? We're talking about 1/4 mile times. I think everyone here knows the M6 is vastly superior to the Shelby. That doesn't mean it's taking the Shelby in the 1/4 mile though....

redfire03 svt

Established Member
Shelby is quicker and that is the bottom line when dragging. BMW's are not darg cars and from light to light it will not hang with the shelby. On the highway or at high speed runs that is a different story though.

Nick85

Banned
tedstriker said:
Agreed. The GT500 would get smoked by an M5. If you modded the gt500 it would be a better race.

Why would anyone buy a GT500, if their are cars like M5's and M6's; Vettes, Vipers etc out there? They don't seem to be much faster than the old terminators. Plus they scream "Redneck!". These will be trailerpark kings, that's about it. Ford really missed the mark on this one.

Redneck? When I think Mustang I think Steve Mcqueen not the Larry the Cable guy. You must live in a poor area.

mustangbee

Established Member
Nick85 said:
Redneck? When I think Mustang I think Steve Mcqueen not the Larry the Cable guy. You must live in a poor area.

i dont live in a poor area at all...and i can see the guy's point...mustangs are everywhere, and any average joe can afford one...it seems like everyone that drives one thinks he/she is some kinda badass(except me, of course)...and it doesnt seems like the shelby really brings anything new to the table...maybe racing stripes i guess, oh wait :bored:

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
Actually what I find interesting is how so many 03/04 cobra owners have such disdain for the new Shelby.

"Its not an SVT. As far as I'm concerned, 04 was the last car SVT did" or
"The GT500 still isn't better then the terminator"

Sounds to me like the terminator owners are feeling a little "old news" and maybe threatened by the new Shelby. No longer are they the "best" mustang out there. (stock for stock of course)

And things such as that... I'm sorry, but I could easily afford a M3 or a BMW 5 series. But I don't like them the way I do Mustangs. No, I'm not company loyal, because aside from the mustang, I think Ford sucks. But I would much rater have a GT500 over and BMW anyday of the week,

Wild Bill

Established Member
tedstriker said:

Dude you are making yourself look like a real tool saying that shite!Please I have friends that own srt4s so I wont even go there(I like them anyways),but to act like the srt4 is will have a better image than the gt500 is waaaaay off mark.At 40+k I doubt you will see many in the trailer parks.Mustangs in general have never really been associated with rednecks as they seem to appeal to a broader range of people than typical muscle cars.Do you really think there are no trailer park srt4s??? :lol:Now you really have shown your true colors with this comment you sir are a troll! :loser:

Last edited by a moderator:

Wild Bill

Established Member
mustangbee said:
i dont live in a poor area at all...and i can see the guy's point...mustangs are everywhere, and any average joe can afford one...it seems like everyone that drives one thinks he/she is some kinda badass(except me, of course)...and it doesnt seems like the shelby really brings anything new to the table...maybe racing stripes i guess, oh wait :bored:
I dont think I've ever read a positive comment about a mustang come from you.Are you sure you really own a terminator?Doesnt seem like it to me.If you do own one then maybe you should get rid of it and let someone else own it that would enjoy it.

Wild Bill

Established Member
Nick85 said:
He does live in a poor area,what you didnt know trolls live under bridges??? :read: ;-)

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
C5_z51_6spd said:
The new BMW M6 is going 12.4s @ 121 according to car & driver :uh oh: :uh oh: is the 121 trap really true or is it a missprint?
That makes the new M6 faster than the new GT500 which is 12.9 @ 112.....what are yalls thoughts and opinions?

My thoughts are that the GT500 runs a 12.2 @ 117. Not the 12.9 that you claimed...

Wild Bill

Established Member
03Cobra05GT said:
No douchbag, I was referring to the fact that the fastest I've heard an M6 run was 12.4. I've heard traps of 115-118. Excuse me for not specifying that for the ***in idiots like yourself.

R&T

Point is, I made it clear in my 1ST POST that C&D numbers always seem bogus (wack).

Don't get your panties in a bunch.
Dude they will see for themselves when they run into them on the streets and at the tracks.Some mags do always seem to have an agenda.Look at this months road and track test on the stage 3 roush;
0-60 4.7
1/4 mi 13.3 @107.8 vs gt500 13.1@112
60-0 124ft (yeah right its got 4 piston 14" rotors) got to be off by at least 10ft
Here are some more cars they tested
Bmw m roadster 13.2@107
bmw m3 comp coup [email protected]
ctsv 13.4@109
300csrt8 [email protected]
mustang gt [email protected]
lotus elise [email protected]
maserati grandsport 13.2@109
evo VIIImr [email protected]
gto [email protected]
caymanS [email protected]
sti 13.3@103
Now come on this doesnt look a little fishy to you all???How can all these different cars run close to the same times.If I had to guess I would say they either use very primative testing or dont test some cars at all.So you are telling me not one of these cars is a 12sec car?According to them a 300srt8 will run door to door with a gt500 despite the fact that the shelby is lighter and has a 75hp advantage!There is no way in hell an m5 with the same hp and same weight is going to be 8-11mph faster :lol: anyone thinking this will be in for a rude awakening.Well let the mags print whatever they want we will see whats up when they hit the streets!Trust me 12.2-12.4@117+ is going to be a very realistic number.Ford did extensive testing to make sure this car out performed its predessesor.This car will go mid to low 12s easy with the average driver.

Wild Bill

Established Member
C5_z51_6spd said:
The new BMW M6 is going 12.4s @ 121 according to car & driver :uh oh: :uh oh: is the 121 trap really true or is it a missprint?
That makes the new M6 faster than the new GT500 which is 12.9 @ 112.....what are yalls thoughts and opinions?
Cars have almost identical power/weight ratio.no way in hell is the M5 going to be 9mph faster!With better gearing I could see 1-2mph difference at most.
I am just your average driver at the strip and I have personally gone 12.2s-12.4s in my cobra when I was trapping 115mph.No powershifting,stock air pressure,bad track prep 2.0 60fts. With some decent track prep a 117mph car is a high 11-low 12 sec car on stock setup.

Wild Bill

Established Member
caz713 said:
not trying to stray this thread too far off course and i'm not trying to start an argument, but what kind of times/trap speeds are 05-06 GTs putting down stock and slightly modded?

i haven't had a chance to run one yet, but i did drive my buddies 05 GT with CAI, exhaust, tune, and 4:10 gears... it felt alright down low (1st and 2nd) but it felt like it completely fell on it's face in third gear (where my car continues to pull strong)... could this be because of the 4:10s?

i ran a 13.3 @ 104 w/ a 2.1 60' with my car and I am very close to stock (my exhaust adds little to no power)... it may be a "good race" but based on this experience alone (which admittedly isn't much) I think the e46 M3 should pull on an 05-06 GT (stock or lightly modded) without too much trouble
Seat of the pants isnt accurate measure of a cars performance.Case in point I have raced the new Z06 and i was able to beat one from a stop but on the freeway got pulled by 1 1/2 cars 60-140.So I asked the guy for a drive and I couldnt believe how slow the Z felt compaired to mine yet was still faster.Anyone that would drive mine would swear to God mine would destroy one as it is way more violent and will bury you in the seat.Well thats why we race to see who really is faster. :beer:

joegt38

Established Member
JC300zx said:
Great driver does not necessarily means he will pull a great 60' time. Track prep, tires and temperature will be a HUGE part of it. A great driver on a Sh*tty track will pull a bad 60' regardless. Being a great driver will mean he can shift faster than that of a average person which is a considerable advantage (Hence the great trap speed). But in my opinion the new M5 and M6 will handily beat the GT500 when driven by the same driver. Granted the car is not meant to be a drag racer but seeing the videos of the M6/M5 against the current E55 AMG it puts a beating on that car. I believe a e55 versus GT500 is a better race. This is stock for stock. Basically the cars are close to the same weight and power but the advantage goes to the M6 gearing, aerodynamics, rev range and tranny. The SMG will shift faster than *MOST* drivers, will be more consistant and it has launch control.
I would only agree if we were talking about from a roll, I really don't think from a dig Jay....IMO!
The GT500 should be able to out launch the M anyday and IMO the 1/4 is not going to make much of a difference for the aerodynamics to play apart. They also mention it was a shitty day at the track and still managed to pull a 12.4 @ 115 with the TC on. He can shift as fast as he want that TC will pull timing everytime he shift cause you know them tires are not hookin every shift with that power.

TORNATIC!!

Established Member
Nick85 said:
My money is on the Shelby.

I'm sorry but the Shelby would probably be crushed by a 507 hp M5/M6 on top end. It'd probably be a good 1/4 race but that's not what the M5/M6 is built for. 0-150 in 21 secs one test got for an BMW M5 which is heavier than the M6 coupe. That Bimmer just keeps pulling harder and harder the faster you go.

TORNATIC!!

Established Member
redfire03 svt said:
Shelby is quicker and that is the bottom line when dragging. BMW's are not darg cars and from light to light it will not hang with the shelby. On the highway or at high speed runs that is a different story though.

I disagree with you. The Shelby's aren't even out on the street yet and your saying the M5/M6 won't "hang" with the Shelby stoplight to stoplight. The M5/M6 has proven it can run in the mid 4's to 60 and it has launch control to help ya out. I'd bet money the Bimmer would do pretty well in a drag race too. Once they get to speeds over 100 the Shelby mines well stop accelerating because aerodyamics, power-to-weight ratio, etc.. favor the M5/M6. Also while all this is going on the guy in the Shelby has to shift and not screw up while M driver would be chilling.

JC300zx

Established Member
joegt38 said:
I would only agree if we were talking about from a roll, I really don't think from a dig Jay....IMO!
The GT500 should be able to out launch the M anyday and IMO the 1/4 is not going to make much of a difference for the aerodynamics to play apart. They also mention it was a shitty day at the track and still managed to pull a 12.4 @ 115 with the TC on. He can shift as fast as he want that TC will pull timing everytime he shift cause you know them tires are not hookin every shift with that power.

Ive personally tried out the launch control on the e46 m3 and the reviews of the m5/m6 having an even better SMG makes me a firm believer that the m5 will launch better and be more consistant then the average driver trying to launch a 500ft/lbs torque Shelby. The lower torque output of the M6 will also allow for less aggressive launches that will also help its 60' times. Now if your talking putting slicks on the rear of both cars now i will agree that the Shelby will hand its a$$ in the quarter but im talking stock for stock. I dont consider myself an average driver (have over 100 quarter mile races under my belt) but just trying to launch a Terminator was a handful let alone a car with 100 more ft/lbs of torque.

JC300zx

Established Member
Antagon said:
Just put it this way. On the street, the M5/M6 will stomp the GT500 for the same reason the E55/CLS55 etc do so well. Theres enough electronics in those cars to make sure no matter how crappy of a driver you are, all you do is stomp the pedal and you're set.

I coudn't agree more! I had an Audi S4 Stage 2++ That would Gtech mid 12's all day and pull 4.0 0-60's and I raced a bone stock e55 and he slaughtered me off the line. I couldn't believe it..i never would've thought a RWD car would hook like that.

joegt38

Established Member
JC300zx said:
Ive personally tried out the launch control on the e46 m3 and the reviews of the m5/m6 having an even better SMG makes me a firm believer that the m5 will launch better and be more consistant then the average driver trying to launch a 500ft/lbs torque Shelby. The lower torque output of the M6 will also allow for less aggressive launches that will also help its 60' times. Now if your talking putting slicks on the rear of both cars now i will agree that the Shelby will hand its a$$ in the quarter but im talking stock for stock. I dont consider myself an average driver (have over 100 quarter mile races under my belt) but just trying to launch a Terminator was a handful let alone a car with 100 more ft/lbs of torque.
Theres been alot of people getting used to launching these cars and Ive seen and Im sure there are alot of people on this board they are in the 1.9s on stock rubber.
Guess time will tell and practice will help.

Users who are viewing this thread