BMW M6 vs GT500

C5_z51_6spd

Banned
The new BMW M6 is going 12.4s @ 121 according to car & driver :uh oh: :uh oh: is the 121 trap really true or is it a missprint?
That makes the new M6 faster than the new GT500 which is 12.9 @ 112.....what are yalls thoughts and opinions?

1FSTSL65

Established Member
that an M6 is in a completely different class than a GT-500, which probably can't compare in any statistical category.

hydroshutter

don't worry about it
Established Member
I believe it. What's the weight on the M6? 5.0L 500hp V10 that revs to 8250 in the M6.

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
C5_z51_6spd said:
The new BMW M6 is going 12.4s @ 121 according to car & driver :uh oh: :uh oh: is the 121 trap really true or is it a missprint?
That makes the new M6 faster than the new GT500 which is 12.9 @ 112.....what are yalls thoughts and opinions?

C&D Numbers are always wack.

MM&FF tested the GT500 and they went 12.2 in 1/4 mile. Thats faster then the M6.

C6 Z06

Established Member
Nick85 said:
My money is on the Shelby.

Somebody doesn't know BMW very well. If you meet an M5/M3/M6 on the track or street you will then know how fast they are. :thumbsup:

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
C6 Z06 said:
Somebody doesn't know BMW very well. If you meet an M5/M3/M6 on the track or street you will then know how fast they are. :thumbsup:

Umm...SO?? Once again I state...MM&FF ran 1/4 in 12.2 in the GT500, faster then the M6.

I've raced PLENTY of M3s in my 05 GT. Don't get me wrong, they are fast, but they are nothing special if you ask me. They aren't hard to beat.

joegt38

Established Member
03Cobra05GT said:

MM&FF tested the GT500 and they went 12.2 in 1/4 mile. Thats faster then the M6.
I also believe it trapped at 117 to not 112. Nobody can cry and say well that was with the best driver cause he only pulled a 2.1 60' and still managed a 12.2 @ 117 with the GT500.
The M6 is a wicked car and probably a good run for a GT500 but I also don't see it trapping 121, Ive see a test awhile ago and it trapped what the M% trapped 118. From a roll with a GT500 the M5-6 have the advantage but not from a dig.
C&D, MT and RT all really suck when they test any Ford, come on I think I read one time they ran a 13.3 or 4 with an 03 Cobra a 14 flat with a Mach and a 13.7 with a S2000, you can strap a rocket on an S2000 and not break into the 13s.

joegt38

Established Member
03Cobra05GT said:
Umm...SO?? Once again I state...MM&FF ran 1/4 in 12.2 in the GT500, faster then the M6.

I've raced PLENTY of M3s in my 05 GT. Don't get me wrong, they are fast, but they are nothing special if you ask me. They aren't hard to beat.
The M3s are NO match for the new 500HP M5 or M6........

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
joegt38 said:

Agreed, but mr. C6 Z06 stated
Originally Posted by C6 Z06
If you meet an M5/M3/M6 on the track or street you will then know how fast they are.
He included the M3, which is to me a good race for a stock to lightly modded 05GT.

bluestreak89

Established Member
03Cobra05GT said:

You guys keep quoting MM&FF like its the law or something. Ford F*in flew in a special driver just to get the car it's best times. As far as Im concerned unless the rest of the mags have someone similar driving instead of writers, then that bs is unfair. You cant say evan smith vs C&D, MT, R&T drivers is fair at all. And until he tests for all the mags then that comparison is off base. Now can the GT500 run those times, yeah, obviously, but those are still going to be some of the best times you will see on stock tires from a GT500 period, just like he got one of the best times for a stock terminator. Now let evan smith drive a M6, which is a lot trickier to drive than your basic stick shift or paddle shifter. I know because my boy just bought one two days ago.

And what makes it worse is that you bash all the other mags when they test the shelby slow as hell but when they trap 121 with the M6 you call :bs: , the very same drivers that you said sucked can still trap 121 in a M6 and 112 in a shelby. You guys are delirious, trying to use what you want to to make the car you want seem faster. F*in deal with it, there are faster and better cars man. Plenty of avg joes will run 12.6,12.7,12.9, etc in a shelby, and M6 too for that matter, its not that hard to bog or spin with 500 hp so just deal with it.

This is a drivers race with these two cars but the best stock car is the M6, period! The GT500 can easily be modded to be faster but mods is another story. I think a good race would be on a road course where the weights are almost identical, becomes a drivers race.

And whoever gets a GT500 in the Atlanta area that wants to get this on tape send me a p.m. My boy has about 1100 miles left on the break in period and will be accepting all challengers.

Last edited:

bluestreak89

Established Member
joegt38 said:
Yeah the old ones maybe but the new E90 M3 will be 400 hp and only around 3400lbs, in fact depending on the weight the new M3 could give them all a run for their money.

joegt38

Established Member
03Cobra05GT said:
Agreed, but mr. C6 Z06 stated

He included the M3, which is to me a good race for a stock to lightly modded 05GT.
Naw I wouldn't worry about the M3...

joegt38

Established Member
bluestreak89 said:
You guys keep quoting MM&FF like its the law or something. Ford F*in flew in a special driver just to get the car it's best times. As far as Im concerned unless the rest of the mags have someone similar driving instead of writers, then that bs is unfair. You cant say evan smith vs C&D, MT, R&T drivers is fair at all. And until he tests for all the mags then that comparison is off base. Now can the GT500 run those times, yeah, obviously, but those are still going to be some of the best times you will see on stock tires from a GT500 period, just like he got one of the best times for a stock terminator. Now let evan smith drive a M6, which is a lot trickier to drive than your basic stick shift or paddle shifter. I know because my boy just bought one two days ago.

And what makes it worse is that you bash all the other mags when they test the shelby slow as hell but when they trap 121 with the M6 you call :bs: , the very same drivers that you said sucked can still trap 121 in a M6 and 112 in a shelby. You guys are delirious, trying to use what you want to to make the car you want seem faster. F*in deal with it, there are faster and better cars man. Plenty of avg joes will run 12.6,12.7,12.9, etc in a shelby, and M6 too for that matter, its not that hard to bog or spin with 500 hp so just deal with it.

This is a drivers race with these two cars but the best stock car is the M6, period! The GT500 can easily be modded to be faster but mods is another story. I think a good race would be on a road course where the weights are almost identical, becomes a drivers race.

And whoever gets a GT500 in the Atlanta area that wants to get this on tape send me a p.m. My boy has about 1100 miles left on the break in period and will be accepting all challengers.
Yes thos mags suck and as far as living by MM&FF atleast the drive the car like its suppost to be drivin.... No one said the M6 is a slouch its a ****ing beast, but go ahead and compare and tell me what you think the GT500 will be pushing alittle over 500crank HP and is heavy but still alittle lighter then the M6, I also believe the GT500 has more torq. They may be a good run no doubt, but I am only going by what I read about he new M5 and M6 the times were almost dead on the 5 ran 12.4 @ 118 and the 6 ran 12.3 @ 118, 121 is 3mph difference with would need good HP to cover it. They didn't have a 60' for the 5 or 6 when they teasted them but come on if the GT with that kinda power is runnin what the 03/04s are running then SVT/Shelby and Ford need to go back to the drawing board since the upped the motor and blower and power. If the GT car run a 12.2 @ 117 with a shitty 2.1 wait till you see it with a 1.9 or 1.8.....

Trust me Im not hating on the Ms any of them 3,5 or 6, I love them all but come on give respect where its due....

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
bluestreak89 said:
You guys keep quoting MM&FF like its the law or something. Ford F*in flew in a special driver just to get the car it's best times.

Thats funny...DID YOU SEE THE GUYS 60ft TIME? I highly doubt he was anywhere near a professional "special driver". I'm sure your average guy can get those kind of 60ft times. So give me a break about the BS run.

C6 Z06

Established Member
bluestreak89 said:
Yeah the old ones maybe but the new E90 M3 will be 400 hp and only around 3400lbs, in fact depending on the weight the new M3 could give them all a run for their money.

I agree totally and that's why I included the M3. I just sold my 2004 M3 and my 2003 M3 SMG about a year ago. NO match for my vettes, but still a fast car. Too many people under estimate the M's. The new M3 will be a very fast car.

300bhp/ton

I just like cars!!!
Established Member
03Cobra05GT said:

You prat, you can't just modify one of the cars numbers for you own pleasure and then claim it's faster.

If you say the GT500 is faster than C&D where able to achieve then it's just as likely that the M6 is also faster than what C&D where able to achieve. :nonono: :nonono:

Add the same modifier to both cars and see what result you get?

Play fair or don't play at all :nono:

Last edited:

300bhp/ton

I just like cars!!!
Established Member
joegt38 said:
tell me what you think the GT500 will be pushing alittle over 500crank HP and is heavy but still alittle lighter then the M6.
Since when has the GT500 had over 500bhp SAE Net?

I haven't kept up with it for about 6mounths or so, but last I heard it was a cast iron block 5.4 DOHC with an Eaton M112R blower making ~475bhp SAE Net?

Has the spec changed or is this claim of over 500bhp just based off of inaccurate rwhp numbers derived on comparitivly high reading Dynojet Dyno's?

Cheers. :)

BTW - The M6 may be heavy, but it also has 7 gears, so in gear accelaration (gearing) is superior to the GT500 and the Sequential box will shift a lot faster than any human can.

Remember the M5 traps near 120mph STOCK and is capable of over 200mph with the speed limiter disabled. Do you think the GT500 could manage 200mph stock even though it weighs less?

joegt38

Established Member
300bhp/ton said:
Since when has the GT500 had over 500bhp SAE Net?

I haven't kept up with it for about 6mounths or so, but last I heard it was a cast iron block 5.4 DOHC with an Eaton M112R blower making ~475bhp SAE Net?

Has the spec changed or is this claim of over 500bhp just based off of inaccurate rwhp numbers derived on comparitivly high reading Dynojet Dyno's?

Cheers. :)

BTW - The M6 may be heavy, but it also has 7 gears, so in gear accelaration (gearing) is superior to the GT500 and the Sequential box will shift a lot faster than any human can.

Remember the M5 traps near 120mph STOCK and is capable of over 200mph with the speed limiter disabled. Do you think the GT500 could manage 200mph stock even though it weighs less?
I believe yes they do rate it at 500BHP now, thats all I keep hearing....

Yes I agree about the top end of the M, but from a dig which is what everyone seem to be quoting (1/4 times). I still believe if you get the 60' down on the GT500 your going to see better then a 12.2. I don't know if you ever watched the motortrend TV or C&D TV (not sure what one had the show) but NO they can not drive or launch a high HP or high torq. car down the 1/4. I remember when the tested the vert cobra and ran somewhere in the 13s, they did it on the street not the drag strip and they smoked the tires through atleast 2 gears and then just put up some #s.....

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
300bhp/ton said:
You prat, you can't just modify one of the cars numbers for you own pleasure and then claim it's faster.

If you say the GT500 is faster than C&D where able to achieve then it's just as likely that the M6 is also faster than what C&D where able to achieve. :nonono: :nonono:

Add the same modifier to both cars and see what result you get?

Play fair or don't play at all :nono:

Umm... find me some MM&FF numbers for the M6, I'm all for it. I said C&D numbers are wack period. I DIDN'T SAY JUST FOR THE MUSTANG.
GO back and read you illiterate a$$.
Their times sucked for the Vettes too.

Oh and also here .... SVT Ford

Right off fords website... SAE certified #s.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread