Blowfish shifter bracket

Status
Not open for further replies.

hand-filer

Established Member
that is really slick! good work! the MGW's bottom 4 bolts is a nice place to attach without needing extra gusseting in the bracket. by clamping to the back of the stock box, it required a more stout bracket.

Kudos to you guys for bringing it to market. The other solutions out there are basically band-aid fixes.

Coyote5o

Established Member
Ordered mine today! Look forward to trying this thing out. I feel like this is the fix we've all needed from the start -better late than never though! The MGW combined with the whiteline mount have improved shifting dramatically, but i think this will be the icing on the cake.

Bullitt 3309

Established Member
none of the shifter brackets work with this kit, as it uses its own rigid clamp to attach around the shifter box snout and "clock" the box to high noon, which will eliminate the 1 and 2 notchiness.
I ordered one last night, does it come with the MGW adapter in the kit or do I have to specify it?

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Okay, just for clarification, Does it work with the MGW or not? Because I'm confused by these two statements:

EDIT: So that all the info is right at the top of the page I have added the pictures provided by Steve to the first post.
EDIT: Also adding the list of units/mods it works with.
stock shifter: YES
MGW shifter: YES, but can't use heat shield, if equipped
Barton shifter: YES
Steeda shifter: YES
FRPP shifter: yes
SR Performance shifter: YES
Hurst shifter: yes
don't know of any others out there, but as long as they use the stock shifter box (as all but the MGW do), it will work.

whiteline insert: YES

https://www.blowfishracing.com/drivetrain/99-2011-2014-mustang-v6gtboss-shifter-support-bracket.html

Also, to me the DS portion of this looks awfully similar to my Stiffler's DS loop I have on my car. Is there any way I can just build something off my current DS loop that will do this same thing?

Coyote5o

Established Member
If you look at a few posts above, hand-filer modified his stifler safety loop to accomplish the same thing. I have the Stifler safety loop also, but do not have the resources at the moment to modify it. So, it is possible.

86Fbody

Established Member
Okay, just for clarification, Does it work with the MGW or not? Because I'm confused by these two statements:

Also, to me the DS portion of this looks awfully similar to my Stiffler's DS loop I have on my car. Is there any way I can just build something off my current DS loop that will do this same thing?

I quoted Steve on the part in question, I believe what he means is that if there are any other shifters other than the ones mentioned the bracket will work with them if they use the stock box, however if it isn't an MGW and doesn't use the stock box then it may not/will not work, but yes the MGW will.

Last edited:

chao5.0

Established Member
there is no need to replace the bushing...and its quite a bear to get to. actually, the compliance in the bushing helps rotate it a bit to achieve the high noon clocking of the shifter box needed to stop 1 and 2 notchiness.

if didn't look like the bushing needed to be replaced but there is never any harm in asking, i'll be looking to order one once I get some Christmas shopping done, its going to be an expensive year for me if my youngest son decides he wants to start karting. I am also eyeing your brake cooling kit but I want to get some clarification from you before I do.

pufferfish

Established Member
it works with the mgw, but if there is another shifter i don't know about that uses a custom box like the mgw does, it isn't likely to work.

if you want to do a DIY, see post #37. seems simple enough...in theory.

pufferfish

Established Member
if didn't look like the bushing needed to be replaced but there is never any harm in asking, i'll be looking to order one once I get some Christmas shopping done, its going to be an expensive year for me if my youngest son decides he wants to start karting. I am also eyeing your brake cooling kit but I want to get some clarification from you before I do.

dude, i looked at carting for my oldest years ago...that is not at all a cheap hobby! he did football instead;)

feel free to email from the site with any questions about the brake cooling kit. happy to help out.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I quoted Steve on the part in question, I believe what he means is that if there are any other shifters other than the ones mentioned the bracket will work with them if they use the stock box, however if it isn't an MGW and doesn't use the stock box then it may not/will not work, but yes the MGW will.

it works with the mgw, but if there is another shifter i don't know about that uses a custom box like the mgw does, it isn't likely to work.

if you want to do a DIY, see post #37. seems simple enough...in theory.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't misreading something. I understand what you are saying now, however. This piece is definitely a wallet drooler. If I can't find the means to try one like hand-filer has, then Blowfish will definitely get some money from me.

86Fbody

Established Member

Karting can be pretty expensive, I was lucky enough to do some Jr. Karting with SCCA for a little. I wouldn't suggest SCCA karting unless it has changed since I did it, that can be discussed somewhere else however. That all being said it is great fun and worth the expense to get kids into driving at a young age.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
pufferfish,

I have a question. Did you take any measures in the design to allow for a locking tab or some sort of teeth to prevent the yoke (top section of the of the DS loop) from slipping allowing slop into the system? I was talking with a friend about it and he brought that up, so figured I would ask. That is unless the holes for the top of the DS loop aren't slotted, allowing the yoke to slip and move.

Last edited:

pufferfish

Established Member
pufferfish,

I have a question. Did you take any measures in the design to allow for a locking tab or some sort of teeth to prevent the yoke of the DS from slipping allowing slop into the system? I was talking with a friend about it and he brought that up, so figured I would ask. That is unless the holes for the DS aren't slotted, allowing the yoke to slip and move.

i think you have confused things. this doesn't attach to the driveshaft. the driveshaft doesn't even get removed to install this. if you are referring to the slotted holes attaching the lower bracket to the transmission mount, no, there is no locking mechanism. we have not found it to be necessary as the only force applied to the bracket is downward (futher engaging it into the slot). if there is, by some chance, an upward force, it would have to overcome the friction coefficient of the 3 flange head M12 bolts.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
i think you have confused things. this doesn't attach to the driveshaft. the driveshaft doesn't even get removed to install this. if you are referring to the slotted holes attaching the lower bracket to the transmission mount, no, there is no locking mechanism. we have not found it to be necessary as the only force applied to the bracket is downward (futher engaging it into the slot). if there is, by some chance, an upward force, it would have to overcome the friction coefficient of the 3 flange head M12 bolts.

My apologies. I forgot to add "loop" after the DS. I was talking about the top section of the DS loop (what I'm calling the yoke in this instance).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread