Blowfish shifter bracket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coyote5o

Established Member
It could really be any of the CAD programs (Autodesk, Solidworks, Pro-E, Catia, etc..). They mostly look the same for those isometric shots! Can't tell without seeing the menus.

86Fbody

Established Member
It looks really heavy. It's made of steel right?

Also, to the poster who said it feels like a t56: were you referring to the vibrations or shifting? I learned to drive a stick on a T56 and would like that feeling again.

A little bit of both, the shifter feels and is now connected to the trans and so every shift just goes where it is supposed to. I never really cared or complained about the vague shifting on my car but the opportunity to beta this product came along and I figured I would try it out since I know Steve and all of his products are touted as being very well thought out, very well made, and easy to install. The shifting now feels very close to my dads Cobra swapped Fox except there might be a little less vibration.

On the weight Steve might be able to answer that better, I believe it is 1/4 inch steel and it probably weighs 7-10 pounds, but don't quote me on that since I never weighed it when I got it.

pufferfish

Established Member
Yeah, its around 7 lbs. it could be lighter, but then it isn't legal for a driveshaft safety loop. placing 7lbs low and in the middle of the car won't effect anything...hell, having a big meal and not taking a dump for a day can add 7lbs to the vehicle weight;)

it assimilates the shifting experience of any of the integral shifter transmissions, like the T5, T56 and Magnum XL. Its a tiny bit less direct in that every shifter out there still used the factory link arm to shift, which has 3 joints that are all rubber isolated, but its damn close to that experience...and ITS AWESOME!

dbrford2003

Established Member
Anyone know how this attaches to the MGW? Looks like a great fix, very curious.

pufferfish

Established Member
yes, it works just fine with the whiteline insert. it will work with any aftermarket shifter. it will eliminate any aftermarket shifter mounts and driveshaft safety loops.

dbrford2003

Established Member
Just ordered, was looking for a driveshaft loop anyway and this product does look killer. Did see the CAD on how it attaches to the MGW, awesome stuff.

GCubersoldat

Established Member
The creators of this bracket hit a home run..will be purchasing one asap. IMO this is how Ford should of done it from factory. Bravo.

K.A.I.N

Established Member
yes, it works just fine with the whiteline insert. it will work with any aftermarket shifter. it will eliminate any aftermarket shifter mounts and driveshaft safety loops.

Since you accommodated MGW shifters, any plans for those running Barton/Ford Racing brackets? Or would it be overkill?

pufferfish

Established Member
none of the shifter brackets work with this kit, as it uses its own rigid clamp to attach around the shifter box snout and "clock" the box to high noon, which will eliminate the 1 and 2 notchiness.

hand-filer

Established Member
IMG_0926 - Copy.JPG
I've been using this prototype on my car for over 2 years. It does make it feel like a T56.
No noise or vibration at all. Shifting feels rock solid. It's bolted to the top of a Stifflers driveshaft loop.
Essentially the same concept as the Blowfish bracket and about half the weight.

chao5.0

Established Member
I wonder if replacing the front bushing of the shifter with a stiffer one or a solid one will help any or if the shifter bracket does enough on its own that the bushing doesn't deflect as much anymore.

pufferfish

Established Member
View attachment 21865
I've been using this prototype on my car for over 2 years. It does make it feel like a T56.
No noise or vibration at all. Shifting feels rock solid. It's bolted to the top of a Stifflers driveshaft loop.
Essentially the same concept as the Blowfish bracket and about half the weight.

that is really slick! good work! the MGW's bottom 4 bolts is a nice place to attach without needing extra gusseting in the bracket. by clamping to the back of the stock box, it required a more stout bracket.

pufferfish

Established Member
I wonder if replacing the front bushing of the shifter with a stiffer one or a solid one will help any or if the shifter bracket does enough on its own that the bushing doesn't deflect as much anymore.

there is no need to replace the bushing...and its quite a bear to get to. actually, the compliance in the bushing helps rotate it a bit to achieve the high noon clocking of the shifter box needed to stop 1 and 2 notchiness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread