Blowfish shifter bracket

Status
Not open for further replies.

86Fbody

Established Member
I may have posted earlier on here about the Blowfish shifter bracket that I was lucky enough to beta for Steve and I was very happily surprised at how much of a difference the unit made. Finally it has been made available for pre-order/purchase and I just wanted to get the info out to anyone who may still be having issues shifting issues or isn't completely satisfied with their current shifter. http://bossmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=7918.125 contains info on the piece and it does attach to MGW's and I believe even those running the MGW have said there is an improvement.

EDIT: If looking to purchase this piece it may say that the item is not in stock, don't worry this is a pre-sale and so the item isn't in stock but can be bought.
EDIT: So that all the info is right at the top of the page I have added the pictures provided by Steve to the first post.
EDIT: Also adding the list of units/mods it works with.
stock shifter: YES
MGW shifter: YES, but can't use heat shield, if equipped
Barton shifter: YES
Steeda shifter: YES
FRPP shifter: yes
SR Performance shifter: YES
Hurst shifter: yes
don't know of any others out there, but as long as they use the stock shifter box (as all but the MGW do), it will work.

whiteline insert: YES

it will replace any shifter brackets, so none of those work with it.

Also may not be compatible with other DS safety loops, however the unit also doubles as an NHRA safety loop so there is no point in running two.

The stock mounting
REF-originalconfiguration_zpsc7628b71.jpg

The Blowfish bracket
SSB-1_zpsecc2a6f8.jpg

How an MGW mounts to the bracket
SSB-MGW_zps62da2a50.jpg

final product pre-powder coating
testparts_zps32c1f7ff.jpg

Last edited:

nissenc1337

Established Member
This looks VERY interesting but I want to see the actual finished product and maybe some beta reviews? I'm planning to buy the barton two post and the whiteline bushing to help things out in the meantime but would love to put my $150 towards this if I saw the end result before buying.

86Fbody

Established Member
This looks VERY interesting but I want to see the actual finished product and maybe some beta reviews? I'm planning to buy the barton two post and the whiteline bushing to help things out in the meantime but would love to put my $150 towards this if I saw the end result before buying.

I have had this on my car for about 2k miles now and can say it feels pretty much like a T56. You get vibrations through the shifter which isn't bad IMO and there is some rattling in my case because I adjusted it to have the shifter resting on the trans tunnel but others on the link I posted have said they have no increase in noise and only vibration felt through the shifter. The biggest thing I was able to notice with this is how precise the shifts are especially around corners where usually the shifter would swing to one side or the other and either cause lockout or a vague feeling as to which gear you were actually going into.

04SNK390HP

I hate SHEEPLE
Established Member
Does it fix the infamous 1-2 notchy shift and can you post or PM me the link that shows the pre-order info?

-Nick

Last edited:

SCalla1384

Established Member
It is a drive shaft loop as well as a bracket to make the shifter pretty much part of the trans.

Oh didn't notice that.it looks cool... I still think the best fix is a twin disc clutch. But I can definitely see that working pretty good.

86Fbody

Established Member
Does it fix the infamous 1-2 notchy shift and can you post or PM me the link that shows the pre-order info?

-Nick

close to the bottom of page 6, assuming there are more pages now, where the description of the bracket is should have the order info. And I would say this doesn't get rid of not by shifts, I think this trans is just not by, however it does make every shift much more precise and much less vague.

86Fbody

Established Member
Oh didn't notice that.it looks cool... I still think the best fix is a twin disc clutch. But I can definitely see that working pretty good.

Probably for the lockouts that occur do to the pressure plate/clutch not being able to handle the high rpm shifts, however a clutch won't fix the vague/wobbly disconnected feel of the shifter.

86Fbody

Established Member
Idk... I like the feeling of the stock shifter with a Barton 2 post.. Feels good to me anyways

To each his own, I can understand that. However I would look at what some of the people have said about the unit, I believe some have Barton's with and without the bracket and MGW's and all have said there was an improvement.

lpheaven

Established Member
To each his own, I can understand that. However I would look at what some of the people have said about the unit, I believe some have Barton's with and without the bracket and MGW's and all have said there was an improvement.

Am i crazy ? In my 12 Boss I experienced lockout the 1st month. In learning the car I have moved my seat close to the wheel ( like nascar close) and have not had it since. I shift betw. 75 an 8k when im on it.

pufferfish

Established Member
Actual final product will be available on the site in the next week or so.

This product eliminates shifting issues, not clutch issues. They are 2 very different things.

86Fbody

Established Member
The CAD (I believe is the program) drawing kinda makes it look sexier cause it has colors

EDIT: I added the pictures to the first post of the thread so they are all in one place.

Last edited:

SCalla1384

Established Member
Actual final product will be available on the site in the next week or so.

This product eliminates shifting issues, not clutch issues. They are 2 very different things.

Yah for sure... After reading it a bit more I think I'm going to try it out. I still get a little grind on 1-2 on 7600rpm shifts. That's the only shift I have to slow down. Which is okay... But I don't feel like killing any more synchros lol.

nissenc1337

Established Member
It looks really heavy. It's made of steel right?

Also, to the poster who said it feels like a t56: were you referring to the vibrations or shifting? I learned to drive a stick on a T56 and would like that feeling again.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Damn that is what I call an all-in-one fix! And a very stout design at that! This would definitely be something to look into for anyone that doesn't want the reduction that comes with an MGW, but still wants to firm up the stock shifter as much as possible.

Good job, Blowfish!

Also, I believe that program is either Autodesk Inventor or Solidworks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread