Blew My Engine

Flcracker

Established Member
Somewhere around that number. Got a price from a friend at the local Ford store of $1,965.00 for a 15-16 short block. OTOH seems like I read somewhere you had to change something in the cam drive system to make the 15-16 SB compatible with the 11-14 heads. Could be wrong on that though.
How is this possible? U must be talking about a used part since the Alumintor shortblock is around 5,000 and I imagine that the 15–16 shortblock is about the same price. I'm thinking that the quote you got was for the block without a rotating assembly.

Last edited:

Flcracker

Established Member
Not exactly certain what caused it. Sounds like a broken rod. Probably too much HP on a stock engine. Trying to decide between an Aluminator short block or '15-'16 stock block. 700-725whp is enough for me. Ford Racing says the new stock engine has basically Boss rods and pistons. I can get an Aluminator SB for $3,500 ish. Not sure what the price is for the stock '15 SB.
Where can u get an Aluminator SB for that price?

Flcracker

Established Member
Yes, I agree. I was just putting it out there because people seemed like they were interested in that set up. MPS, i'm starting to see their name around more lately. I'm going with MPR to build my shortblock (they have a great reputation and their local) which will have Diamond Pistons and Manley Billlet rods good for 900 whp. Man I'm really curious about this MPS offering. What a price!

Last edited:

cjd223

Established Member
Can't you just swap in 2011-2014 cams into 2015+ heads and then run it?
Yes you can. I am hoping my heads are good. OTOH I am really torn as to what I want to do with the car. Aluminator short block with my heads and cams, 2015 short block with my heads and cams, or a 2011-2014 short block and put the car back stockish. If I went the later I would sell the car and Roush separately. The head unit will be repaired in about a week. The $1965 price is for a rotating assembly. Here's Tasca Ford's price. http://www.tascaparts.com/ford/must...engine-cat/engine-scat/?part_name=short-block

cjd223

Established Member
I know I will be branded as a traitor if I go this route. This car belongs to a friend that lives in Winder. Was my next door neighbor when we both lived in Lawrenceville, GA. Car runs 7.40's with a 400 SBC. Engine is very mild, 268 Comp cam and cheap Iron Eagle heads. A better cam and AFR heads will add another 100hp. Yes, I can build a SBC with my eyes closed. Buick Side.jpg

vortecd

Established Member
I know I will be branded as a traitor if I go this route. This car belongs to a friend that lives in Winder. Was my next door neighbor when we both lived in Lawrenceville, GA. Car runs 7.40's with a 400 SBC. Engine is very mild, 268 Comp cam and cheap Iron Eagle heads. A better cam and AFR heads will add another 100hp. Yes, I can build a SBC with my eyes closed. View attachment 71405

Looks like a down grade to me. Your car does everything better then a 30 year old car

cjd223

Established Member
Maybe not. I was in discussion with Procharger a couple of months ago about one of their units. My plan was to sell the 400 sbc and go with a forged 383. Slap one of their F-1A units on = 900 whp. OTOH I kind of like this car. 427 Cobra.jpg

corepwn

Established Member
If you're interested in a rotating assembly, I have an 11-14 11:1 Aluminator set I could sell.

Boss crank, the 11:1 Mahle pistons, and the Manley H beams with ARP 2000 bolts.

I was going to put into a new block and sell as a shortblock down the road but this could work too I suppose.

PM if you're interested.

Riptide

Established Member
I have enough traction problems on the street with a 27" MT R series as it is and this car only traps 130 on pump. I must be one of those weirdos that "has enough" horsepower to maintain happy state. lol

If I were you I'd go with corepwn's suggestion and enjoy it.

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
Yes you can. I am hoping my heads are good. OTOH I am really torn as to what I want to do with the car. Aluminator short block with my heads and cams, 2015 short block with my heads and cams, or a 2011-2014 short block and put the car back stockish. If I went the later I would sell the car and Roush separately. The head unit will be repaired in about a week. The $1965 price is for a rotating assembly. Here's Tasca Ford's price. http://www.tascaparts.com/ford/must...engine-cat/engine-scat/?part_name=short-block

That new short block from Tasca is one heck of a deal!

vortecd

Established Member
the '15 engines come a lot and maybe we should have a thread on what would be needed to put one in a 11-14 mustang. I do know they changed the angle on the oil filter and was told a '15 would work in a early car but not the other way around. Could you buy a '15 shortblock and transfer everything from your 11-14 over to it?

burke985

Established Member
What are your goals for the car thats what you gotta ask your self, is it a full time drag car ? is it a daily driver ? etc etc. My opinion is if your gonna go through the trouble then you may as well future proof it for when you want more. If you want 1000+ hp you need to get rid of the TVS and go turbo.

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
I blew my motor a few months ago. VMP TVS. Think I had a bad tank of gas or something.

Went with MPR and ditched the VMP to go turbo. But for the deal, the '16 Aluminator isn't a bad choice. I just didn't want the Mahle pistons and deal with the timing components.

02eb62d275b5832481b0a9768ecfbedd.jpg

fed9753bf7cf345886f0d4ef86b66c49.jpg

44e37d0af42d877deefd1e6614b265f2.jpg

798605cb8af3d222bb35066bc630abd8.jpg

Last edited:

cjd223

Established Member
Now that is how to blow a motor!!! I am in talks with a friend/engine builder about rebuilding my engine. We shall see what the cost will be if I go that route. The '15-'16 short block is still an option.

cjd223

Established Member
What are your goals for the car thats what you gotta ask your self, is it a full time drag car ? is it a daily driver ? etc etc. My opinion is if your gonna go through the trouble then you may as well future proof it for when you want more. If you want 1000+ hp you need to get rid of the TVS and go turbo.
I would have gone CPR if they had been available when I bought my Roush. They source their turbo units from a manufacturer 10 miles from where I live.

Users who are viewing this thread