Blew My Engine

cjd223

Established Member
Here is the aluminum piece that went through the head unit. IMG_0491.JPG

Riptide

Established Member
You're talking about pieces of broken rod/piston material coming up through the heads into the supercharger?
Yep. Kinda hard to wrap your mind around how it happens but I guess when things come apart at high RPM they are ballistic and have a lot of energy to dissipate. They can end up in places you wouldn't expect them to make it up into. Seen the photos of entire systems trashed when things come apart catastrophically in that fashion.

Just saw the photo OP. Sorry to see that. :(

cjd223

Established Member
I am going to pull the head unit apart in the morning. Curious George the Monkey want to look inside.

imeyers302

Established Member
How much is it for labor to install a set of forged rods and pistons? If it's under 3k for parts and labor doesn't it pay to install before supercharging?

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
Yep. Kinda hard to wrap your mind around how it happens but I guess when things come apart at high RPM they are ballistic and have a lot of energy to dissipate. They can end up in places you wouldn't expect them to make it up into. Seen the photos of entire systems trashed when things come apart catastrophically in that fashion.

Just saw the photo OP. Sorry to see that. :(

I guess I got lucky, my supercharger was the only thing that survived the spun bearing.

cjd223

Established Member
Downtime is possibly the issue.
I have been retired for 6 years. We have multiple vehicles. Looking on the bright side, not that there is one when you blow an engine, summer is the best time to be down. Way too hot to race. DA was 3,480' today at 4pm.

cjd223

Established Member
How much is it for labor to install a set of forged rods and pistons? If it's under 3k for parts and labor doesn't it pay to install before supercharging?
It all depends on how much HP you want. My car would still be running when it was at 630-640whp. Over 700? Bang. It did last for several months at that level. I don't know of a good shop around Birmingham,AL.

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
I have been retired for 6 years. We have multiple vehicles. Looking on the bright side, not that there is one when you blow an engine, summer is the best time to be down. Way too hot to race. DA was 3,480' today at 4pm.

Gotcha man. At least your positive about it. I mean if I were going to forge the engine I would want on just to swap not to wait 3 weeks with nothing in the car. I have multiple cars also and to me I would just rather have something to swap.

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
It all depends on how much HP you want. My car would still be running when it was at 630-640whp. Over 700? Bang. It did last for several months at that level. I don't know of a good shop around Birmingham,AL.

That's also a factor. I don't know of a reputable shop within 200 miles from me. So that means I would have to send it out.

cjd223

Established Member
Interesting conversation with VMP this morning. It will be very difficult to make a 2015 engine assembly work in my '12. Hard part is trying to tune it. Best plan is to put my '12 heads on a '15 short block.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Last edited:

cjd223

Established Member
Read this thread, a 15 shortblock can be put into an 11-14. Few things need to be done, none of them seem to be real show stoppers
I can get a 2015-16 engine assembly cheap. No problem putting my heads on a '15 short block. You just can't use a 2015 engine assembly.

466roller

Established Member
I have a '15 shorblock, '15 heads and 11-14 cams, tensioners and oil cooler. You can put this together for under $4k if you can do the work yourself, I've done it.

mechanicboy

Established Member
http://www.enginelabs.com/news/why-the-second-gen-coyote-engine-trumps-the-first/

These guys say the second gen heads can be used with a first gen ECU with modification. Is this just not a practical endeavor or are they wrong about: "However, you can get a pair of ’15+ Coyote lobe designed camshafts that are formulated to work on a first generation Coyote engine on the aftermarket." If they are correct, where would one get a set of these?

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
Can't you just swap in 2011-2014 cams into 2015+ heads and then run it?

Users who are viewing this thread