Black Gold 380R's 65 Mustang Build Thread

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Lastly, I played with the idea of putting a graphic on the hood.

Almost everyone said a black hood looks unfinished. I tend to agree, but like the contrast.

So, I'm toying with the idea of making the cowl black. So, I laid out a coupe of quick pin stripes to get an idea of how it will look.

I laid out two 1/4 inch stripes. The idea is to have the cowl black. The orange tape would be a 1/4 inch red line. The tan 1/4 inch tape would be the outside black line. Then the outer area of the hood (where the hood pins go) would be red.
20220218_194231.jpg

I want the entire cowl painted black. That way when it is viewed from the side the cowl looks black and not red.

I am toying with this idea because I really want the underside of the hood to be red as I think it would look great to have everything red in the engine bay in order to make the engine stand out more. Also, I think a black top and red bottom hood would not look right or good for that matter.

What do you guys think? Run with it or keep the hood all black? Any other ideas? Is a 1/4 inch stripe good? The top and bottom side stripes are 1/2 inch. Should I make them 1/2 in on the hood to keep it the same? I think it works with the 1/4 inch stripes on the hood.

How about reverse it? Cowl red and hood sides black??? LOL....

C2tuck

Established Member
Lastly, I played with the idea of putting a graphic on the hood.

Almost everyone said a black hood looks unfinished. I tend to agree, but like the contrast.

So, I'm toying with the idea of making the cowl black. So, I laid out a coupe of quick pin stripes to get an idea of how it will look.

I laid out two 1/4 inch stripes. The idea is to have the cowl black. The orange tape would be a 1/4 inch red line. The tan 1/4 inch tape would be the outside black line. Then the outer area of the hood (where the hood pins go) would be red.
View attachment 1738662

I want the entire cowl painted black. That way when it is viewed from the side the cowl looks black and not red.

I am toying with this idea because I really want the underside of the hood to be red as I think it would look great to have everything red in the engine bay in order to make the engine stand out more. Also, I think a black top and red bottom hood would not look right or good for that matter.

What do you guys think? Run with it or keep the hood all black? Any other ideas? Is a 1/4 inch stripe good? The top and bottom side stripes are 1/2 inch. Should I make them 1/2 in on the hood to keep it the same? I think it works with the 1/4 inch stripes on the hood.

How about reverse it? Cowl red and hood sides black??? LOL....

Well…it’s pretty much what my idea was, so I’m all for it!

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Keep up the great work man, I like the idea of the black cowl vs the entire hood black

Screenshot-20220219-072937-Duck-Duck-Go.jpg

Another thought I had (just floating it, not sure how I feel about it yet).

Screenshot-20220219-072831-Duck-Duck-Go.jpg

Pardon my very rough coloring

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Well…it’s pretty much what my idea was, so I’m all for it!

What do you mean your idea? I don't remember you saying anything about pin stripes? ROFLMAO!!! Just kidding brother!

Yes, the picture you posted was along the lines of this concept. Also, a few people on this site and the classic Mustang site seem to think along the same lines as you @C2tuck .

Someone mentioned putting the red pin strip along to top edge of the cowl. However, since I want the entire cowl black that is not a good break point for me.

So, yes sir this was a good idea. I think if I go this route I will also paint my hood pins black as well. The circle part that goes on the hood. Not the pin itself that passes through the hood.
Black Cowl.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Everyone else,

@BOOGIE MAN , @kazman , @98 svt , @geoffmt and @CobraBob really appreciate all of you providing feedback. It seems all of you like the idea of the black cowl and red hood.

I think that works best for me at this point. My wife is not convinced yet, but said I could always go back to a black hood if she doesn't like the final product. All I could do was laugh. But I do agree that once the body work is done, repainting the hood is easy if I don't like it or want to change it later on.

I like the visuals boogie man (thank you for taking the time to do that), but I'm not feeling the red area along the outside hood edges. Good thought though.

Thanks again guys. Always appreciate your feedback and points of view!!!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I love the black cowl idea along with either a full red underside or mirroring the top paint underneath

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Thank you Geoff. I think for now I will go with an all red underside. Trying to make the bottom paint scheme match the top is a little more ambitious than I think my skill set is at right now.

Besides, as mentioned I want the engine to be the focal point and not the underside of the hood.

I've also seen people put a really nice mural on the underside of their hood. Nothing wrong with it, but to me it's a piece of art and you know everyone is an art critic LMAO!!!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay Everyone,

Got back on the hood today. I finished up the final sanding before primer. I sanded everything with 400 grit. Then it was time to spray the 2K high build primer.

I started with the bottom. I always start there in case something happens it will be on the bottom of the hood instead of the top. I try to make sure everything is dry enough, but you never know.

Okay, I got the entire hood sanded. Since the top is already sanded I had to place paper around the edges to keep overspray off the top.
20220219_125602.jpg

Since the bottom needed more work than the top to get straight I sprayed 3 coats of high build primer.
20220219_131401.jpg

Man, I think this came out great. I think the bottom will look as good as the top once it's cut and buffed.
20220219_131418.jpg

These are close ups of all sides of the frame. This is where I did body work to get the waves out. I think it looks great.

Front.
20220219_135048.jpg

Passenger side.
20220219_135057.jpg

Driver's side.
20220219_135105.jpg

Rear.
20220219_135118.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
After the bottom dried for about 45 minuets I flipped the hood over and sprayed the top.

Since the top is in good shape and had already been body worked I only sprayed 2 coats of high build primer.
20220219_163434.jpg

20220219_163447.jpg

20220219_163408.jpg

Next I will wet sand the entire hood with 600 grit. After that it will be time to spray color and clear coat. I will most likely spray color and clear on the bottom first and let it dry a few days. Then I will work on the top of the hood. I will do it this way because if I get any overspray on the bottom while working on the top it will already be clear coated and it will be easier to wipe off any overspray.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
The primered hood looks really great. No waves! No imperfections! It's going to look awesome when done.

Thank you Bob! There are some very small imperfections that don't show up on camera and you practically have to be inches away to see them, but overall I must say I am very pleased with the outcome so far.

I keep picturing the finished hood in my head and it does look awesome LOL. I'm excited to get it done.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Really like the blacked out cowl. Definitely a good call on finishing the bottom side of the hood.

Thank you Grabber. Yeah, when I was test fitting the hood with the new hinges and I seen that unfinished underside up against my engine/bay I was like "Uh, hell no. This isn't going to cut it." LOL. Also, the black underside was too dark. I think the red underside will make the engine "pop" even more.

As mentioned, I'm excited to get this project done now. I wasn't thrilled at first because I really didn't want to change it up with graphics, but now that the underside is finished and I'm seeing how the top may turn out with a black cowl and some pin stripes I'm getting into it now LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread