Black Gold 380R's 65 Mustang Build Thread

Grabber70Mach

Established Member
Now let me get this straight, you're gonna what?

1. Pick your car up tomorrow.
4f4003909f26a4fbd89af4d30f22783c.gif

2. But them your going to make us wait until Monday? Monday to see pictures.
8a3c00c44706d6a2909f6c429bc50140.gif

3. It's sort of like this:
77ab33e630301751e800739ca63629aa.gif

4. So I'm going to leave you with this:
c1f350411110702c904a46308c09f6d4.gif

Last edited:

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hello Everyone,

Well, as mentioned I got my car back Saturday afternoon.

The first thing I did was clean up my garage and get my trailer ready Saturday morning. I purchased some new ramps for my trailer and they came in Saturday morning. So, I test fit them and they are going to work great.

I sprayed the floor with water and used a cleaning agent and a brush to clean the floor as best as I could. The main idea was to get all the loose dirt up.
20210821_110015_resized.jpg

I know the floor will need to be replaced as I trashed it LOL. Once I'm finished with my 65 I'll probably have a company come in and epoxy coat it for me.
20210821_110028_resized.jpg

Got the trailer set up outside my fabricators shop. I'm also working on sprucing this trailer up too. Can't have a nice car on a crappy looking trailer LOL.
20210821_150826_resized.jpg

20210821_150836_resized.jpg

20210821_150849_resized.jpg

ToddW702

Established Member
Turned out great, exhaust and rad cover. Your right the side exit looks killer.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
This car has been at the fabricators shop for about 5 weeks. So, you know I'm ready to get back into this project LOL.

However, I'm having some work done in the area where I park my Cobra's and Roush. So, I need to keep the 65 to one side of the garage for now. Once the work is completed and I have my full garage back I'll reposition the 65 and get back on it full time.

So, in the mean time I couldn't wait to see how the fenders came out. So, I installed the driver's side fender to take a look :D. There is good news and bad news. Good news is I'm VERY happy with the graphic. Bad news is the tint in the fender is a little darker than the door. So, I will need to have my painter friend come back over and help me blend the door. No big deal as we needed to address the rocker panels and side stripes anyway.

BEFORE:
20210715_122027_resized.jpg

AFTER:
20210821_185400_resized.jpg

Man, that graphic came out amazing!
20210821_185347_resized.jpg

SWEET!
20210821_185443_resized.jpg

Here it looks a tad low, but if you go back to the BEFORE picture you will see it is spot on. Since I need to blend the doors I'll make sure the side stripes look straight, even and level.
20210821_185409_resized.jpg

20210821_185909_resized.jpg

Love that reflection.
20210821_185859_resized.jpg

Wow, this thing is going to look so good once all the panels are back on.
20210821_190053_resized.jpg

Last edited:

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Wow. Awesome stuff man. Love it.

Thank you tones! I keep going in the garage just to stare at it LMAO!

I'm also trying to figure out what my next step is. I'm either going to start adding fluids or I will get the distributor installed. However, before I can install the distributor I will need to add the engine oil and prime the system and check my oil pressure at the same time.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
One word.......STUNNING! It's come a long way and the project continues forward. I love the GT-427 graphic. Just seeing that 1st gen body with that '427' call-out gives me goosebumps. Back in the day, people would have LOVED to have had a '427' option.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
One word.......STUNNING! It's come a long way and the project continues forward. I love the GT-427 graphic. Just seeing that 1st gen body with that '427' call-out gives me goosebumps. Back in the day, people would have LOVED to have had a '427' option.

Thank you Bob! I sometimes go back through the pictures just to see how much progress has been made. It's pretty amazing to see that engine bay when I first started and it was semi gloss black and had the shock towers :eek: LOL.

I can only imagine if the 65 Mustang came with an 8 stack 427 from the factory Bob. That car would probably be as rare as the Boss 429's.

Needless to say I'm very proud to be the owner of this car. Most 65 Mustangs built to this level are fastbacks. So, I'm pretty sure my coupe will be a one of a kind or, at a minimum, pretty rare.

Thanks for your comments Bob! I really enjoy hearing everyone's feedback!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I say time for oil and prime it.

I agree with you Bob. Since the car is on the ground and to one side of the garage I'll probably prime it this weekend.

I ordered some priming rods a couple weeks ago and they came in last week. So, now I have the proper tool to do this. Sure would hate for a 1/4" socket to be dropped inside my engine :eek:. I get sick just thinking about that LOL.

ToddW702

Established Member
I am so glad you guys convinced me to keep posting my build here.

As of today I have over 30K views on this site compared to 11K views on the vintage site.

Pretty sweet! Thanks everyone!

That’s really cool. I for sure check in frequently. I enjoy watching the progress. I also have to give it you for taking the time to take pics and post the progress. I’ve thought about doing it here and there but once I start doing things I forget all about pics. Keep it up. Can’t wait to here about your first show in this beauty.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Even after you finish your project, this thread will continue to attract folks. Just curious, have you documented your build from the beginning, including the photos in this thread? You should definitely do that. Maybe a nice scrapbook that folks can look through at car shows. And a spare that stays, unmolested, with the car. ;)

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
That’s really cool. I for sure check in frequently. I enjoy watching the progress. I also have to give it you for taking the time to take pics and post the progress. I’ve thought about doing it here and there but once I start doing things I forget all about pics. Keep it up. Can’t wait to here about your first show in this beauty.

Hello Todd. Thank you for always taking a look at my build. Sometimes I don't take pictures because of what I'm doing. Like this past weekend I was basically loading the car by myself, so I couldn't take pictures. However, when it comes to other projects I basically take pictures in between the process. So, I use picture time as a small break at the same time.

I can't wait for my first car show either. I always tell my friends and family this is how it's going to go. Guy walks up and tells me nice car. Then he asks me who built it. Of course I say I did. Then he gives me a compliment. As he's walking off I over hear him telling his friend or significant other "There is no way in hell he built that car!" LMAO!!!!

Even after you finish your project, this thread will continue to attract folks. Just curious, have you documented your build from the beginning, including the photos in this thread? You should definitely do that. Maybe a nice scrapbook that folks can look through at car shows. And a spare that stays, unmolested, with the car. ;)

Thank you Bob. I hope this thread keeps going, but unless it stays on the "New Posts" link I think it will fade away eventually.

Another member here @01yellercobra had mentioned to me about creating a photo album. I told him all my pictures are digital, but he said I could take a thumb drive to Walgreens and have them print the photos for me.

I do have my build chronicled on my laptop to include my initial build from 2010. So, I have digital pictures from day 1. I also have a few hard copy pictures my brother gave me from when he had the car. They are in my tool box.

Here are some I just took pictures of.

I think this was between 1997 and 1998.

This is in front of my brother's house. It was originally blue, but the El Paso sun fried the paint while I was in the military. My brother said the front fenders were trashed, so he got some off another car, which is why it's brown or rust LOL.
20210824_135029_resized.jpg

This is my brother's buddies house. They were working on it together before I got it back.
20210824_135112_resized.jpg

They did a lot of metal work. Replacing QTR panels, shaving drip rails and door handles and de-badging the car.
20210824_135014_resized.jpg

This was the original 289 that was in the car. Check out that 70's style electronic ignition box on the driver's side engine bay LOL.
20210824_135237_resized.jpg

We believe the car was hit on the passenger side at one point. My brother said the door pillar was bent to hell.
20210824_135141_resized.jpg

Here you can see the side scoop was added and the new Boyd Coddington wheels were put on it.
20210824_135343_resized.jpg

Man, this car sure has come a long way LMAO. And through so many hands......
20210824_135512_resized.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hello Everyone,

Just a quick update. I just got off the phone with my painter friend. I addressed some issues with him regarding my side stripes and the door color being a shade off compared to my fenders.

So, we decided that after I get the car running we are going to completely repaint the side stripes, rocker panels and the doors and then blend the QTR panels.

The reason I want to do this is there really is no way to blend the red in my side stripes on the doors. So it is best to just redo the side stripes.

This will ensure they are straight and have the proper measurements and ensure the color is correct.

We will do this in about 4 to 6 weeks depending on how long it takes me to get the car running.

Should look badass when it's all done.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's more good news!

I was reading your comments about getting photos printed for a photo album. Sounds like you're thinking of first getting the photos printed out and then build a tradition photo album with printed documentation. Why not create a digital build document with photos, with Word or Publisher. You'd have complete control over the page layouts/content. Then when that is complete, you can get it printed out on a color laser printer on heavier paper stock in booklet format. Just a thought. That would make for a nicer quality booklet that can stay with car for shows, and you could always print another one should you ever need to. Again, just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread