Black Gold 380R's 65 Mustang Build Thread

Grabber70Mach

Established Member
Sounds like some major gains with a few hiccups. First glad to hear all is alright with the family and that you've got a good grip on the couple of issues. You'll have those whipped in no time. I can't remember the particular rear your running but double check that you didn't need to run a friction modifier additive in it.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
no leaks and all is a win for sure.

I've definitely gone in the house in frustration plenty of times.

Other times I finished things up and went inside without trying to start it/turn it on/whatever. This way I can assume it's working for now and not end my day pissed off lol

Yes DSG, I agree. Can't recall how many times I've seen leaks on the big boy shows. So, that definitely is a win for me.

I hear you. That was one reason why I was nervous when it came time to start it. Figured if I left it alone I wouldn't know it wasn't working LMAO.

Oh well, I got the parts ordered from Summit. They should be here Thursday. So, next weekend I'll play this game of will it or won't it start again LOL.

Sounds like some major gains with a few hiccups. First glad to hear all is alright with the family and that you've got a good grip on the couple of issues. You'll have those whipped in no time. I can't remember the particular rear your running but double check that you didn't need to run a friction modifier additive in it.

Thank you Grabber! Yes sir, wife is with the grandkids and happy she is helping out her daughter and spending time with the grandkids. I'm home and can mess with the car and have the house to myself :p .

Yeah, it didn't feel like major gains yesterday, but after I backed away from the situation and thought about it I realized it really wasn't a big problem. I think the biggest headache will be removing the old MSD box. But once that is done I'll relocate it next to the computer on the passenger side firewall so it will be easier to get to next time.

Some times you think you are doing it right until you have to take it apart and then you realize your design wasn't that great LMAO!

I purchased my differential from a place called Quick Performance. I upgraded it to an Eaton Trutrac Posi. When it was delivered it had instructions on adding gear oil, but never mentioned anything about a friction modifier. So, I'm thinking it doesn't need any.

I also found this when I was doing my research on what type of oil to get:

Do I need friction additive/modifier? A quality, petroleum-mineral based, GL5 rated 80w-90 gear oil should be used. Synthetic oils are not recommended for Truetrac applications. ... Friction modifiers should not be used because they will decrease performance (reduce differential bias).

ToddW702

Established Member
So close. Next weekend is going to be a good one. I’m glad they are small issues snd not something like “no oil pressure” taking that MSD box out and upgrading it will be nice once it’s done. That 8 stack looks so good. The whole engine bay looks so good.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
So close. Next weekend is going to be a good one. I’m glad they are small issues snd not something like “no oil pressure” taking that MSD box out and upgrading it will be nice once it’s done. That 8 stack looks so good. The whole engine bay looks so good.

Thank you Todd. I was telling my brother about it today. He asked "Your box isn't that old, is it?" I told him I bought that box "used" in 2010 LOL. Granted it sat in a box most of those years, but it is something I should have updated.

So, I agree having a new and updated version of that box will be nice. I also agree glad it is nothing major. No oil pressure would suck and probably slow this build significantly if not stop it completely. Don't know how motivated I would be to pull that engine at this point LOL.

Thank you on your compliments. I have wanted an 8 stack and clean engine bay for years. It is awesome to see my vision come to life.

Here's to hoping she is running by next week Sunday.
The Simpsons Fire GIF

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hello Everyone,

I was looking through my favorite videos list on YouTube and came across this. My best friend from High School did a walk around when he came to visit me back in 2014 or 2015. Reminded me of how good this car used to sound. It motivated me for this weekend LOL.

Can't wait to try and start it this weekend LOL. Hopefully it sounds this good if not better :D.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

I can imagine how many people who see your engine bay and comment or ask questions about the eight stacks. I mean, it is SO different from what people usually see (dual or triple carbs, exotic 4-barrel, blower, turbo). So….get ready!

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I can imagine how many people who see your engine bay and comment or ask questions about the eight stacks. I mean, it is SO different from what people usually see (dual or triple carbs, exotic 4-barrel, blower, turbo). So….get ready!

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
It's so funny you say that Bob. When the car was at the fabricators shop everyone, and I mean everyone, would always comment on the stacks. I have done a ton of work to this car, but all anyone ever notices are those stacks. It's almost like all the other work I did was for noting LMAO!!!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Holy Crap!!!!!

You guys are not going to believe this. I was looking at the instructions for the new MSD 6AL Box. According to the instructions there are 2 power wires. One goes directly to the battery and there is another one that goes to a switched 12 volt power source (i.e. to turn the box on LOL).

Well, when I installed my MSD-6AL box I did not remember seeing another power wire. I only hooked up the power wire to the battery. So, I went in the garage after work and removed my console. There were a couple of black sheathing over my wires. I pulled one back and seen my white wire that goes to the computer for the points signal (that one is hooked up). I pull it back a little further and see a red wire tucked in there.

I pull on the red wire and it unfolds out of the sheathing and is not connected to anything except the MSD box. My brother must have tucked the wires when he stored the box. So, I connect it to a switched power source and attempt to start the car.

Holy F@(!#& S#!T!!!! She started LMAO!!! I guess it was my fault after all. My only excuse is I guess I over looked the wire since it was tucked into the sheathing and I did connect a power wire. Assumed I was good. Well, we all know what happens when you ass u me LMAO!!!

So, yes I'm dumb for making this mistake, but for my problem to only be one 12 volt switched power wire that I fixed in 5 minuets after realizing my mistake I'm stoked LMAO!!!! All that hard work has paid off thus far and in the biggest event, starting the engine!!!!

Man I'm here doing cartwheels in my living room ROFLMAO!!!! SWEET VICTORY!!!!!

And YES, I was conscious enough to take a very short video LMAO!!! When you see me going back in the car I was checking oil and fuel pressure. Fuel pressure was a little low, but I did not want to run the car for very long without coolant.

Hot Damn! This is so awesome!!!!

Last edited:

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Way cool! That’s an acceptable mistake and fix! Sounds great!

That's some great news. Ypur celebration wasn't only in the living room, we've got evidence on tape......

Thank you geoffmt and Grabber! Yeah, for me to basically build this car from the ground up and my mistake was a 12 Volt switched wire to my MSD box, I think I can live with that one LOL.

Yes, I have to admit I was in the garage jumping around too LMAO! I think it does sound good, but with tailpipes now it seems like it is a little quieter than before. Can't wait to get the cutouts working and crack those bad boys open. I think I'm going to like that side exhaust much better LOL.

I talked to my Borla rep today. He thanked me for sharing the video and also said he thinks it sounds good. I told him about my air filter concerns and he provided me with another option while I'm waiting on Kindig. I'll post that up later.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Oh, in speaking to my Borla rep, I figured something else out.

In my video post above I mentioned my fuel pressure was reading low. We figured out that I have my sending unit on my return line. It needs to be on my feedline LMAO!

Oh well, I'll get that fixed this weekend when I remove the stacks to fix my throttle cable.

I'm sure there are other things I'll need to fix/adjust. My Borla rep told me I need to get my stacks adjusted so they are all even. Meaning they are all sucking in the same amount of air. The tool to do that was included in my induction kit.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
glad you figured it out now instead of say, after you swapped them out. car sounds mean!

Hey DSG. You know in this case I don't think I would be that upset. I was debating with @01yellercobra on whether I should return the new MSD box or not. I like the updated box and its features.

So, I decided to keep the box and possibly swap it out at a later date anyway. Just want to finish the project for now though.

Going to fix the throttle cable, reinstall my console and relocate my fuel pressure sending unit this weekend.

May also start the car again and get a better exhaust sound clip for you guys.
robert downey jr ok GIF

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That is great that you discovered the wiring issue. Another victory! And that start-up video!!! Oh, my, the music from the motor is intoxicating. I can only imagine the huge smile on your face when you have anything done and you venture out for your first drive.
1631283256014.png

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
That is great that you discovered the wiring issue. Another victory! And that start-up video!!! Oh, my, the music from the motor is intoxicating. I can only imagine the huge smile on your face when you have anything done and you venture out for your first drive.

Thank you Bob! I'm VERY happy it was something as simple as a switched power wire. Yeah, I'm embarrassed I missed it, but I'll take a simple mistake over a major problem any day LOL.

Thank you for the comment on my exhaust note. To tell you the truth it is not as loud or aggressive as I was hoping. BUT, the current sound is out the back through the mufflers and tailpipes (I've never had tailpipes on this car before).

So, I'm probably going to hook up the cutouts through the cigarette lighter just to open them up and see how it sounds uncapped out the side and hear all eight cylinders singing at their loudest.
200.gif

I think that's when I'll know how happy I am with the exhaust note.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
So awesome!
You have solidified my plan to go Borla stack 8 for our upcoming Cobra roadster.
Congrats man, pumped for you!
-J

Thank you "J". Yeah, I was sweating it there for a little while. Didn't know if I could actually make this thing work. But, once she fired I was like that 8 stack was so worth it LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread