Black Gold 380R's 65 Mustang Build Thread

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay Everyone,

Good news and bad news. What did you expect with this car? LMAO!!!

It's really not that bad. More of a pain in the @$$...........

I got my transmission back a couple weeks ago. Everything looked great, so I installed it.

Once I got the transmission in the car I was turning the driveshaft and the input shaft would spin as well. I didn't think much of it as I figured it was left in gear in order to spin the input shaft for alignment with the clutch disk. So, I got it lined up, installed and good to go.

So, before I finish everything I go in the car and get ready to install my shifter handle, but notice the shifter itself is in neutral. How can the shifter be in neutral, but the transmission in gear?

This isn't good. I thought maybe I didn't install the throw-out bearing correctly and it was putting pressure on the pressure plate. I get under the car and I can spin the bearing freely. So, that wasn't it.

So, I go online and find this video.

Easy enough fix, but the transmission is already in the car and I cannot access that panel. So, I leave it alone and go inside because I know I have to pull the transmission back out again..... God Damn It!!!

The following Monday I call American Powertrain and the tech verifies this is the problem and it "IS" a common shipping issue. I told him they need to explain this to people. He says it's on page 2 of the installation instructions. I said that's great, but I don't have my instructions because I've had the transmission for over a year AND when they sent it back to me they failed to leave a note to remind me of this "common" problem.

He said that was a good idea and they may implement that for customers who have sent their transmission back for repair or warranty work.

Now, I do accept some responsibility as I should have checked the shifter and verified it went into gear PRIOR to installing it LOL.

Oh well, sometimes we learn the hard way.

So, this weekend I removed the transmission from the back of the engine, just enough so I could lower the tail shaft and get access to that upper plate. Sure enough one of those lugs was out of place.

I used my prybar and got it back in place and got everything completely reassembled this time. I took the car out for a test drive Sunday morning and man, does it shift like butter. What a difference when you have parts that work.

This is from when I installed it the first time. I like to fill the transmission while it is out of the car. So, I install the drive shaft to keep the fluid from spilling out. It really isn't bad installing it this way.
20230521_094958_resized.jpg

I install the transmission by myself. So, I need 2 jacks and a couple blocks of wood and do a balancing act. It's not easy, but if I take my time it's just a balancing act.
20230521_101624_resized.jpg

Here you can see how I position everything and use the wood to keep the transmission from tipping left or right.
20230521_101632_resized.jpg

More balancing LOL. This is tedious and why I was so pissed when I realized I'd have to lower it again to get that lug put back in place.
20230521_101650_resized.jpg

Here you can see that lug is clearly in the rearward position. This would have been so much easier to fix had I known it was an issue and fixed this when I filled the transmission with fluid.
20230527_093714_resized.jpg

Oh well, the pain is over and the car is running great. Live and learn. Hopefully my mistake can help one of you in the future..........

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Okay Everyone,

Good news and bad news. What did you expect with this car? LMAO!!!

It's really not that bad. More of a pain in the @$$...........

I got my transmission back a couple weeks ago. Everything looked great, so I installed it.

Once I got the transmission in the car I was turning the driveshaft and the input shaft would spin as well. I didn't think much of it as I figured it was left in gear in order to spin the input shaft for alignment with the clutch disk. So, I got it lined up, installed and good to go.

So, before I finish everything I go in the car and get ready to install my shifter handle, but notice the shifter itself is in neutral. How can the shifter be in neutral, but the transmission in gear?

This isn't good. I thought maybe I didn't install the throw-out bearing correctly and it was putting pressure on the pressure plate. I get under the car and I can spin the bearing freely. So, that wasn't it.

So, I go online and find this video.

Easy enough fix, but the transmission is already in the car and I cannot access that panel. So, I leave it alone and go inside because I know I have to pull the transmission back out again..... God Damn It!!!

The following Monday I call American Powertrain and the tech verifies this is the problem and it "IS" a common shipping issue. I told him they need to explain this to people. He says it's on page 2 of the installation instructions. I said that's great, but I don't have my instructions because I've had the transmission for over a year AND when they sent it back to me they failed to leave a note to remind me of this "common" problem.

He said that was a good idea and they may implement that for customers who have sent their transmission back for repair or warranty work.

Now, I do accept some responsibility as I should have checked the shifter and verified it went into gear PRIOR to installing it LOL.

Oh well, sometimes we learn the hard way.

So, this weekend I removed the transmission from the back of the engine, just enough so I could lower the tail shaft and get access to that upper plate. Sure enough one of those lugs was out of place.

I used my prybar and got it back in place and got everything completely reassembled this time. I took the car out for a test drive Sunday morning and man, does it shift like butter. What a difference when you have parts that work.

This is from when I installed it the first time. I like to fill the transmission while it is out of the car. So, I install the drive shaft to keep the fluid from spilling out. It really isn't bad installing it this way.
View attachment 1795547

I install the transmission by myself. So, I need 2 jacks and a couple blocks of wood and do a balancing act. It's not easy, but if I take my time it's just a balancing act.
View attachment 1795548

Here you can see how I position everything and use the wood to keep the transmission from tipping left or right.
View attachment 1795549

More balancing LOL. This is tedious and why I was so pissed when I realized I'd have to lower it again to get that lug put back in place.
View attachment 1795550

Here you can see that lug is clearly in the rearward position. This would have been so much easier to fix had I known it was an issue and fixed this when I filled the transmission with fluid.
View attachment 1795551

Oh well, the pain is over and the car is running great. Live and learn. Hopefully my mistake can help one of you in the future..........
That definitely sucks but glad it’s back in the road.

Not nearly as bad as that but just got my alternator back from being fixed so get to pull the shaker and blower again. I really need to ditch the moroso coolant tank so I don’t have to completely pull the blower anymore

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
That definitely sucks but glad it’s back in the road.

Not nearly as bad as that but just got my alternator back from being fixed so get to pull the shaker and blower again. I really need to ditch the moroso coolant tank so I don’t have to completely pull the blower anymore
Yeah it's disheartening when a job is made more difficult.....

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Glad to hear it’s shifting perfectly.
Man I’ve gotten soft having lifts but it’s done to enjoy the driving season!
Nice job.
-J

Thanks J! Yeah, I have some cool tools for a home garage, but a lift is not one of them. So, I'm relegated to doing some things the old school way LOL....

Always appreciate your comments brother!!!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hello Everyone,

Well, the cool stuff just keeps rolling along with this car.

A co-worker of mine showed my AutotopiaLA video to a friend of his. Well, come to find out, that friend is an editor for a local magazine.

So, the editor reached out to me and asked if I would like to be featured in his magazine.

I was like "Hell Yeah!!!" LMAO.....

So, while I was on vacation he had one of his writers contact me and we did an interview over the phone. After that I was contacted by the photographer and asked when I wanted to do the photoshoot.

At first we were going to do the photoshoot in the mountainous area of my city, but we couldn't make it work.

Now, near my house is a property with an old style gas station. I have seen it and always thought it was a museum and always wanted to do a photoshoot there.

So, I drive over there (thinking it's a museum) and knock on the door. An older gentleman comes out and explains to me that it's his property and he lives on the premises. I'm like, crap, I just walked up to this dudes house and could be trespassing LMAO!!!

I explain to him what's going on and he says people ask him that all the time and he was more than willing to allow me to have my photoshoot on his property. SWEET!!!

The guy was VERY cool. I told him I could pay him or get him a gift certificate to his favorite restaurant and he said that was not necessary. He said if I got there a little before the scheduled photoshoot he would show me around. This is AWESOME!!!

So, I show up and everything is GREAT!!!

The magazine is not scheduled to be out until September. It only comes out quarterly. I'll be sure to post the link when it comes out.

For now here are some of my crappy cell phone pictures LOL:

20230708_191023_resized.jpg

20230708_191525_resized.jpg

20230708_191656_resized.jpg

20230708_192630_resized.jpg

20230708_193638_resized.jpg

20230708_193712_resized.jpg

20230708_193726_resized.jpg

20230708_194016_resized.jpg

20230708_194023_resized.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
As mentioned, I show up early and the guy shows me around.

This is inside the Texaco Station. It has a full bath, complete kitchen and lounge area.
20230708_190420_resized.jpg

He even has a Texaco drum kit LOL....
20230708_190430_resized.jpg

He has a UK double decker bus behind the Texaco Station.
20230708_190135_resized.jpg

Here you can see, between his house and Texaco Station, another building out back.
20230707_132804_resized.jpg

He has a Texaco themed tow truck, a fire truck and some really cool stuff in this building.
20230708_185936_resized.jpg

His antique collection. Love the old Texaco gas pump.
20230708_185943_resized.jpg

He says he uses this fire truck for parades sometimes.
20230708_190021_resized.jpg

He called this his drag racing hearse LOL.
20230708_190027_resized.jpg

Old Ford delivery truck.
20230708_190041_resized.jpg

He has a smaller building next to the large one out back. His kids are into VW's so he keeps them here.
20230708_190209_resized.jpg

Man, what a great day and great guy. I had a ton of fun!!!! I guess this is what happens when you knock on a door and cool people answer. My wife told me that's what happens when you socialize LMAO!!!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hello Everyone,

Well, the local magazine issue with my car in it came out over the weekend. My co-worker brought me a copy today.

Here is a link to the article:

(NOTE: You may have to sign up for a "FREE" account to view it online).

However, here are pictures of the article for those who are interested.
El Paso INC 01.JPG

El Paso INC 02.JPG

El Paso INC 03.JPG

El Paso INC 04.JPG

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hello Everyone,

I have a few more things to do to the 57, but I took a break this weekend and focused on the 65 again.

I noticed after rubbing on it for a year it had some minor haze scratches in the paint. Can't have that LOL, so I decided to order some ceramic coating and get the paint fixed up.

First things I did was take step 2 of my 3M perfect it kit and go over the whole car again. Got all the minor scratches out. After that it was time to apply the ceramic coating.

I went with that Armor Shield IX. It looked easy to apply and got great reviews. I know there's better stuff out there, but I got a BOGO on this. So, I just wanted to see how it worked and applied. I can always upgrade later.
Armor Shield.JPG

I think it came out great. Very happy with the results. I was going to wait for the sun to go down a little and pull the car out, but I got wrapped up in some other things. I'll try to get some outdoor pictures next weekend.
20230923_123553_resized.jpg

Love the reflection of the popcorn in the ceiling LOL.
20230923_123613_resized.jpg

Leading edge of the hood.
20230923_123627_resized.jpg

Driver's side....
20230923_123643_resized.jpg

Passenger side.... (I spun the car around in order to get to the passenger side).
20230924_120616_resized.jpg

20230924_120647_resized.jpg

20230924_120723_resized.jpg

This is the reflection in the C pillar of the passenger side.
20230924_120830_resized.jpg

I have a couple small areas to finish (i.e. taillight panel and bumpers), but I'm happy with these results.

Users who are viewing this thread