Best way to get 700+ RWHP

Bluebullit

Established Member
back to getting a whipple or KB that would be a good step but just save the money of upgrading later and get the turbo cause you can just run a set boost and you will be good and when you get used to that get it tuned for more when you feel that you are ready. plus you can make the power of a kb or whipple with less boost and its easier on the drive train.

but as LS1killer stated i have a vortech as well and i love it but when i get on it feels like im back to stock cause i have had if for about 2 yrs now. the reason i went with this was the $$$ issue. i would have went turbo the first time but i didnt have the money and i figure well its better then stock so i did it and its been great. but if i wanted up upgrade the head unit or anything like that its about 2500 for bigger head unit so if you just do your research and look into helion turbos you will find a good kit for you that can make 700 all day and they have good prices. i know when im time comes im sure that is where ill be making the phone call myself.

bet of luck to you man but we have all told you what will make your goals so just go from there

kyle67camaro

Established Member
Well thank you so much for all your help again. I am really looking for a good street strip car. I will be driving it around the streets probably a few days a week or maybe even more, but I want to have some good 1/4 mile times. That is why I am not shooting for some 9 sec run. I would like to see 10's and still be able to get some good traction on the streets. I know that there is alot more to running 10's then just the car. Its about knowing the car and the track too. Its just hard finding real good help in Utah because everything that is running those times for the most part is a honda/import or the drivers are like 45+ and dont want to give a 20 year old any help. I really do know that I need to do more research, but I am hoping to get some research from you guys and I am also hope you can maybe help me choose blower or turbo because I know there is so so much to know about that stuff and I wouldnt really like to put hours or months into looking up stuff and then finding out that its not for me. So I am sorry for sounding like I dont know anything that I want, but I have always found you guys to be really helpful and nice to work with so I figured I would start here.

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
at this point man, alot of people have given you advice...its time for you to choose which route you want...do some of your own research...learn how they all work and decide what way is better for you

04OUTLAW

WWW.OUTLAWDIVISION.COM
Established Member
Ok I have a 2004 cobra that has a fully build motor with ported and pullied eaton and solid rear end. I am wanted to get 700+ rwhp and I am just wondering what everyone thinks is the best way to do it and cheapest. I have been thinking of the 3.4 whipple or the procharger f1a. I would much rather get the whipple, but if the procharger is going to be better I would do that. I have read that the f1a at 25 psi will make 750 rwhp. I dont know if that is not true or if the whipple is getting better numbers or what. I would also like to know if I do one of those what else would I need like fuel pump, injectors, fuel rail and all that stuff. The next question I am wondering is how much would you push boost wise with a motor that has 2000 miles on it and has all forged internals. Well if you can help me out it would be great. I am also sorry I have so little information about this stuff I have always owned N/A camaros so this is totally new. Also if there is a better of cheaper way to get there please let me know. Thanks for everything Kyle

2.8 KENNE BELL OR 3.4 WHIPPLE
These engines were designed to run with the twin screw blowers. Turbo kits are very impressive but they are very pricey. Superchargers kits are ok but a big pain in the ass when it comes to pulley swaps and the tend to have belt issues. As you can see in my sig my car with 80k miles stock engine at 24lbs made 671rwhp. I plan on building a 302 for it this winter and cranking the boost up to 28lbs we're looking 750rwhp or better. I raced a procharged Cobra and we made similar horsepower numbers and by the time he built boost it was way to late needless to say he now has a 2.8 Kenne Bell also....

61mmstang94

Established Member
2.8 KENNE BELL OR 3.4 WHIPPLE
These engines were designed to run with the twin screw blowers. Turbo kits are very impressive but they are very pricey. Superchargers kits are ok but a big pain in the ass when it comes to pulley swaps and the tend to have belt issues. As you can see in my sig my car with 80k miles stock engine at 24lbs made 671rwhp. I plan on building a 302 for it this winter and cranking the boost up to 28lbs we're looking 750rwhp or better. I raced a procharged Cobra and we made similar horsepower numbers and by the time he built boost it was way to late needless to say he now has a 2.8 Kenne Bell also....

You don't think the KB mammoth kit is going to bolt on and make the power do you?

With either setup, to safely make the power he wants it will take a lot of money and why not do it right the first time?

Plus with the turbo kit it'll leave him with room to grow later on when he wants more. I doubt the KB or Whipple can hang with twin 61s.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Meh eff it I say do the hellraiser kit with the s/c and the twins. That way you make everyone happy!

Bluebullit

Established Member
these motors are not designed for "twin screws"... they are designed for boost in general. i mean KB's nice but make sure you word it right. and you can get a single kit with the supporting mods for about the same price at a getting a 2.8 KB is about 5300 and you still have to buy all the supporting mods and when you look at a single T76 Helion with everything minus maybe the fuel stuff for 1k more so your only save just a lil money by getting the KB but that is up to you... but yeah prochargers are nice but it does take to long to get full boost sometimes. now yeah if you do look into twin turbos the price gets really high on you there so he is right about that. cause i know the shop i go to they told me it would be close to 12k to get my car turboed and completely set so yeah it can cost ya

Bluebullit

Established Member
You don't think the KB mammoth kit is going to bolt on and make the power do you?

With either setup, to safely make the power he wants it will take a lot of money and why not do it right the first time?

Plus with the turbo kit it'll leave him with room to grow later on when he wants more. I doubt the KB or Whipple can hang with twin 61s.

i would like to see one just compete with a single and then look at the twins.

04OUTLAW

WWW.OUTLAWDIVISION.COM
Established Member

Mammoth is a inlet for a "2.8 Kenne Bell" so yes i do think will make the power it will actually make a little more...

I didn't doubt that twins would be the best option however I did say they're a bit pricey not everyone has 8k dollars laying around...

Stopsign32v

Established Member
I've got a D1SC on a 99 Cobra motor with ported/polished stock heads and intake and corrected numbers I'm damn near 700rwhp now on 110 octane. I'm going to put on a 2.8" pulley and a bigger crank pulley and see how much the D1SC has in it. Then the turbo is going on...

Last edited by a moderator:

61mmstang94

Established Member
Mammoth is a inlet for a "2.8 Kenne Bell" so yes i do think will make the power it will actually make a little more...

I didn't doubt that twins would be the best option however I did say they're a bit pricey not everyone has 8k dollars laying around...

And that "mammoth" kit requires quite a bit of fab work to gte it to be right.

Go turbo and don't worry about how limited a KB blower is.

kyle67camaro

Established Member
Well thank you all so much for all the help. I am pretty sure I know what I am going to do know. I am going with the TT. I don't want to wait for boost to build with a procharger. Thats what is nice about blowers, your not suppose to have to wait. I would love like a 3.4 whipple or 2.8 kenne bell, but I don't want to be at the max right away. My motor has a lot of potential in it and so I think if I can just get my self to hold off tell I get all the money for turbos I will be a lot happier. I have always loved boosted cars and that is why I got a 04 cobra. I also think there is no feeling like a turbo. So ya thank you all so so much and I am excited about this whole thing. I will have to just keep saving away for that next be thing Thanks Kyle

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
Well thank you all so much for all the help. I am pretty sure I know what I am going to do know. I am going with the TT. I don't want to wait for boost to build with a procharger. Thats what is nice about blowers, your not suppose to have to wait. I would love like a 3.4 whipple or 2.8 kenne bell, but I don't want to be at the max right away. My motor has a lot of potential in it and so I think if I can just get my self to hold off tell I get all the money for turbos I will be a lot happier. I have always loved boosted cars and that is why I got a 04 cobra. I also think there is no feeling like a turbo. So ya thank you all so so much and I am excited about this whole thing. I will have to just keep saving away for that next be thing Thanks Kyle

I'm sure you'll be happy with a TT. But saying a procharger has to build boost isnt necessarily true. Check out this black mach1 with an f1 procharger. I'd say his blower isnt having any problems spooling up quick. Like i said i'm sure you'll be more then happy with turbos but i think there are alot of misconceptions about different blowers out there.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9j9I6FXtMc"]YouTube - blkmach1 vs havoc vs mofobucs![/ame]

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
I'm sure you'll be happy with a TT. But saying a procharger has to build boost isnt necessarily true. Check out this black mach1 with an f1 procharger. I'd say his blower isnt having any problems spooling up quick. Like i said i'm sure you'll be more then happy with turbos but i think there are alot of misconceptions about different blowers out there.

YouTube - blkmach1 vs havoc vs mofobucs!

The boost a turbo provides is dependent on engine load and rpm, coming on much sooner than possible with a centri which is basically derived directly from rpm and will not reach MAX boost until very high in the rev range..

04torchred

Established Member
If you are staying with a stick watch how large you go on compressor size or be really prepared to drop off lots of boost between shifts and you will have to wait for it to spool. Yes they dyno high and pull hard, but if its a street car that isn't raced a ton a twinscrew might be more fun. In my personal opinion to really use a turbo setup effectively you will want an auto.

Do a little research and I don't think you will have trouble making high 600's to low 700's with a big twinscrew on pump gas and torco. You should be able to make into the mid 700's to high 700's with race fuel and spinning these large blowers hard. I will say do not buy a 2.8H or 3.4 Whipple with the small inlets, you will be leaving a lot on the table :beer:

Kobra Khan

Krazy SVT Poster!
Established Member
If someone were starting from scratch, I'm thinking around 8500 minimum for supporting mods when you look at the drivetrain, cooling, fuel system, engine needs, and exhaust.

60 lb injectors 400
Fuel system upgrade 1000
Tune 400
heat texchanger 270
radiator 400
cooling mod 195
Intercooler Reservoir 270
Coolant Expansion Tank 160
clutch 500
flywheel 300
26 spline input shaft 250
Firewall Adj. & Clutch Quadrant Kit 95
Built 31 spline rear 1500
MGW short throw 150
subframes 100
longtubes 800
x pipe 200
catback 450
upper pulley 130
lower pulley 300
Intake tube 220
SCT 2600 MAF 250
Single Blade Throttle Body 400

Haven't even gotten to the suspension yet. K-member, coil overs, shocks, control arms, cc plates..... Figure another 2K ez.

Then add the cost for the engine internals and the power adder of choice. Yep, for about 20 grand in mods you can have a nice reliable 750rwhp beast.

Users who are viewing this thread