Best way to get 700+ RWHP

rubber duck

Established Member
If you're looking for 700+ I hope you're not on a tight budget, because you're going to get nickled and dimed to close to $10k by the time it's all said and done.

That being said I'd go turbo all the way. I'm happy with my procharger setup but lately I've been dealing with belt and pulley alignment issues. They're usually not hard fixes but it seems like it's always something. I don't think you'll have near the maintanence issues with a turbo.

Bluebullit

Established Member
yeah and the t trim is probably on a motor that is bigger then a 5.0 so with that said just go turbo man. more power plus its safer then running blower plus spray!

Turbo=sexy anyways!

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
If you're looking for 700+ I hope you're not on a tight budget, because you're going to get nickled and dimed to close to $10k by the time it's all said and done.

That being said I'd go turbo all the way. I'm happy with my procharger setup but lately I've been dealing with belt and pulley alignment issues. They're usually not hard fixes but it seems like it's always something. I don't think you'll have near the maintanence issues with a turbo.

+1 dont be like everyone else who spends thousands on a supercharger only to end up selling it and spending even more on a turbo. Would have been a MUCH more intelligent decision to just go straight for the snail in the very first place. 700whp will not be getting done on any sort of "budget". Its going to cost an arm and a leg either way. Maybe he should be shooting for something more easily obtainable like 450-500whp?

kyle67camaro

Established Member
My car is already been dynoed at a little over 500 rwhp, so its time to get some more fun under the hood. I am only 20 years old so I dont have much bills to pay, so I was just going to get the kit at once and then slowly get the rest later one. I guess its the same as just saving all the way up for the turbo kit, I will just be saving for a little longer.

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
http://www.kennebell.net/superchargers/Mammoth/mammoth.htm
Kenne bell 2.8H mammoth will get you there, not on pump gas but should make some insane power on pump with the right person tuning it. All this talk about how turbo should be your first and only choice is bs. Twin screw can get you there to and the low end torque will be amazing. Its all a matter of taste imo, and rest assured you wont need n2o with these new big displacement twin screw compressors.

kyle67camaro

Established Member
I really think that superchargers can get you there too. I also think that with that tq and boost pretty much from the start can help my quarter miles out. I do love turbos and there fun street cars, but i love boost period and if I wanted the full affect of a turbo i would own a honda haha So I am still lost.

Bluebullit

Established Member
well if you think a turbo on a honda is a full affect then go ahead and get a supercharger cause you dont know much about ... but a turbo is more efficient and has more potential then any supercharger out there. but its your call cause i know the turbo cost more hints the fact i have a vortech lol but they are all fun man

also with all that tq and boost comes with traction and stuff breaking and some of the fastest street cars are turbo

kyle67camaro

Established Member
I know that that street cars are way fun with turbos and stuff and most street races start from a roll on the streets. I am thinking that street cars are way fun , but I want to be able to run some good numbers in the 1/4. When I say the honda and turbo thing I am talking about what is real big in utah. I have several friends running 40 psi in there drag hatches. I dont see that on my car anytime soon. But I dont know, I honestly think the only reason I dont want turbos, is because the price. I already know I will end up with them down the road if I keep the car.

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
bro, turbos with a 2step launch pretty damn hard...you dont have to take my word for it though....ive ridden in every type of cobra and there is no type of pull like a turbo pull

Bluebullit

Established Member
yeah cause a KB scream is one of a kind and never gets old but like he said with that set up you will be launching hard enough plus the top end pull to beat supercharged cars that have more hp then you sometimes depending on the driver. i have seen it several times lol but they are pretty pricey so i know where your coming from thats for sure! whatever you get you will have fun and that's what matters right haha

kyle67camaro

Established Member
HAHAHA that is so true, it really doesnt matter what I get it will be fun as hell. I am just back to the start though. What else will I need to run 20+ psi I know some injectors will be needed, but what ones are good to go with. I will need a lot more stuff. So what is that stuff hahaha and really guys thank you so much for the help.

Smokey1226

Dirrty North
Established Member
wow, just wow. Im all about helping people out with questions/answers.....but you need to stop posting and do a weeks worth of research and come back. A damn good majority of the people in this thread have already went down the road you "want to" and told you what to do.

What do they all say???? Go turbo......so why would you want to do anything different. About the supercharged cars being better for drag?!?! WTF? A huge number of the fastest cars in the country, Pro mod, 10.5w, ect ect are Turboed????

to get 700+ out of a blower car is going to be some work. Your going to need all of the same parts to support the blower as a turbo so spend the extra 3k and do it right.

Because sooner or later your going to want more than a F1r or Whipple/KB.....so thats more money invested. IF you went turbo, up the boost and your set.

Really do your homework before you go any further.

KJS1820

Established Member
I liked the scream and power of the 2.2 (18psi) on my 03! BUT I LOVE my T76 pulling and sounding like a 747 taking off :D I only run pump and it is easier on the engine with the turbo! Getting a twin screw over 700 whp seems to be about the same $$ when all is said and done! but worth it! just my .02 ;) 2 step is great addition on either setup!

Last edited:

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
wow, just wow. Im all about helping people out with questions/answers.....but you need to stop posting and do a weeks worth of research and come back. A damn good majority of the people in this thread have already went down the road you "want to" and told you what to do.

What do they all say???? Go turbo......so why would you want to do anything different. About the supercharged cars being better for drag?!?! WTF? A huge number of the fastest cars in the country, Pro mod, 10.5w, ect ect are Turboed????

to get 700+ out of a blower car is going to be some work. Your going to need all of the same parts to support the blower as a turbo so spend the extra 3k and do it right.

Because sooner or later your going to want more than a F1r or Whipple/KB.....so thats more money invested. IF you went turbo, up the boost and your set.

hes right. Ive been down the supercharger road and while it was pretty fun it was a big waste of money. Unless thats something your specifically looking for. If you want the most power and the fattest powerband out there a turbo is the only way to go. I got the vortech on my car and I was like wow this is sooo much faster now! But then I started trying to compete with local cars in the area. Basically the vortech wasnt producing boost fast enough. Other cars ALWAYS got the jump on me and I was playing catch up all the time. It got old pretty quick. On the top end it was running great but the lack of low end power defeats it. I was seeing about 4-5psi off the hit and it peaked about 10psi at 6000rpm. My car with the turbo on it was making 15.3psi @ 3100rpm on the dyno a few weeks ago and the boost does not let up at all. Peak numbers are great and all but whats going to make the difference is a fat powerband. The kenne bell has a great torque and power but it does not run on the top end like a turbo does.

WDW MKR

Established Member

That's not an accurate statement. Blowers aren't fixed to a particular pulley ratio and associated flow/boost. You can run out of turbo just as easily as blower. You're assuming a turbo install is going to include compressor and A/R sizes large enough for any goals. That may not be appropriate for his goals and the same can be said for a blower. Stack a Whipple 3.4L Crusher or KB 2.8L Mammoth on the car and it's going to be a LONG time before he needs anything else. Same goes for a centrifugal... F1A, F2M, YSi, etc. There are many head units that can support the power the OP is looking for and well beyond. Just as with a huge turbo, the larger blower may come with trade-offs he's not willing to accomodate at this time.

By no means am I saying to pick blower over turbo. I think the turbo is a great way to go given the posted goals. I just wouldn't make the choice based off a skewed picture such as running out of blower before turbo. Whatever method of FI you choose, the most important part of the application will be the head unit or compressor/AR.

I definitely agree with doing more research for whatever combo is chosen. The questions posted like "what else will I need besides injectors" show a lack of understanding for such elevated power expectations. No 700rwhp combo is simple or cheap to put together.

Smokey1226

Dirrty North
Established Member
I was baseing off that he now has a pullied cobra and wants more. 700+ is pretty vague, I understand a turbo can run out of steam too but most likely he would go 76 or twin 57's.....either combo is good for over 800 closer to 850.

So he gives himself an extra 150hp to go when the time comes. I also know the 2.8kb and 3.4Whipple can make big power but when you compare those to blowers to going turbo its pretty damn close in costs!

I wouldn't say it takes a LONGGG time before any perticular person wants more power....as if you've been in a low 10sec car and get to feel a mid 9 sec car you'll want more quickly. It all depends on the person and driving ability, and most importantly what they want to do with the car. IF its a good amount of track time, wanting more power comes VERY fast! Street, not soo much as you can only hook so much on the street.

Either way, we both agree a lot of Homework is needed. I went through the same thing a year or so ago and wanted the same. After you start looking into Every little detail you'll see it costs big $$$, start from the front of the car and go back. Clutch/Beef up IRS Rear or Solid swap/fuel system upgrade/ect ect

Invictus

Banned
Just get a nice safe nitrous kit with a good tune. Spray a safe 150 and you should be well into the 700's in TQ.

Last edited:

WDW MKR

Established Member
I guess the bigger question is, what is your goal for the car? Are you simply wanting a dyno number? Do you have specific ET/MPH goals at the track? Is this car a daily driver, weekend toy, dedicated track car? We often see dyno numbers thrown around in this day and age and it's easy to get caught up in the quest for a number they may not align at all with your particular goals. If you just want a dyno number, spray the piss out of it on the rollers and save several thousand dollars.

You talk about street races, "respectable" 1/4mi times, etc. Street racing a 700rwhp car can get you and others killed real quick... especially if making a sudden jump from a 450rwhp car. I've seen several cars destroyed in the past couple of months that weren't even racing, but got out of control on public roads.

Users who are viewing this thread