Best Sportsbike 600cc and up

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Since I'm riding a 17fz10 and loving it for 6 plus years now. If my fat old body would let me ride an all out sportbike, it'd be the R1M. Such a sweet Crossplane, love that sound! Sorry, but I quit Honda after buying my kid a 50 and realizing Honda was not as good a company as I thought. After a conversation with customer service, I sold all 3 that were in the garage and went Yamaha. With NO regrets. Btw I've had over 70 bikes and logged a half million miles. Still miss the old triumphs and guzzi's. They had character.

R1Ms are nasty mofos!

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I currently own a zx9r and a BMW s1000r. The BMW can be as safe as you want it. Put it in rain mode and it cuts to 130 hp and turns on max abs, wheelie, and traction control. It also has heated grip, electronic suspension, cruise control, and quick shifter. You can get a nice used for $9-12k. I couldn't get back on a 600 and ride for fun. Anything less than 2 hours I take the zx9r anything longer I take the s1000r.

Nice. Big fan of the BMW bikes

tistan

Established Member
Nice. Big fan of the BMW bikes
I hope to upgrade to an m1000r next year. I don't like black bikes and BMW currently won't let you order carbon wheels with the white color scheme. I don't know why manufacturers do stupid stuff.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I hope to upgrade to an m1000r next year. I don't like black bikes and BMW currently won't let you order carbon wheels with the white color scheme. I don't know why manufacturers do stupid stuff.

That would be a nice upgrade. Big fan of those.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
There you go… there you go… now tell us why, specifically…
Bang for the buck, found a few in the 7-8K range, 09-12 years. Already used to the aggressive riding position of the yamaha R6, the R1 isn’t much different, little wider and heavier. Great brakes and suspension, par for the course with Yamaha.. You will get decent tech, traction control, abs, etc…that crossplane setup has great low end grunt..

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I'd pick up another Honda like this because it's less race stance than a R1 meaning more comfortable for cruizing. Good size for a 5' 11" guy. Love the Orange...although not Comp Orange. Good Price....iconic package. THink I would dig an RC51 more though in more subtle colors.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
The good thing is you can go back 10-20 years and all the top bikes still like sweet.

For Instance....

$6k for a damn 20 year old bike.

FJB

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
GSXR 750. Best bang for your Buck and can do most things. Not too big, not too small.

I love the older ZX1400's myself and they're at a good price these days used.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Gotta be quicker than that!

My Ninja 250 when I was about 17..first brand new vehicle.
View attachment 1810906

2000 929RR When I was young in the Navy
View attachment 1810907

Getting that Mexican Tom Cruise vibe…

Top Gun, baby!

Tom Cruise Cheer GIF by Top Gun

ajaf1656

Established Member
When I used to sell sport bikes, people would come in and start pop-quizzing me on all the specs and data. My advice, go sit on them if you're comfortable more than one, pick the one you think looks the coolest. They're all within a few pounds, a few HP, a few dollars. Go with the one you'll love riding and you'll want to sit on making motorcycle noises in the garage when there's snow on the ground.

My personal opinions based on reading about the bikes and historical trends:

Yamaha- innovative technology, but not tons of raw power, fits taller riders good all around. Wins races in the corners.

Suzuki- Middle of the road ergonomics, bullet-proof reliability, tons of aftermarket support, but you'll be a "gixer-bro". Wins races on the brakes.

Kawasaki- (for the record, the only one I haven't owned) Awesome bikes, nice details like wave rotors and machined sprockets, don't have a lot of stamped parts compared to other big-4, almost a boutique Japanese bike. Built for tiny Japanese sized humans. I never fit on them. Wins races on the gas.

Honda- Always made sure to pay-off all the magazine editorial staff to win every bike shoot out. Would always have mediocre performance, but in the final analysis, they'd say it was so comfy and dependable your grandma could daily it so it pulled ahead in the scoring to win over the other bikes. You meet the nicest people on a Honda. They have all the excitement of dry wheat toast and you can park it next to your Accord if you're into that sort of thing. Doesn't win races.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
Paid 10,300 out the door for a brand new 2020 GSX-R600 in 2021 and got free carbon fiber Yoshi slipon. For the money I couldn’t beat it, but the ZX6R are definitely worth looking at. Brock and Chris Moore have gotten ZX6Rs to break in the 9s with bolt ons in the quarter. Previously had a 06 CBR600RR with -1 front and slip on pipe. At 150lbs I could tuck and hang with R1 and GSX-R1000s up to a 100. If you find a clean one 07-08 CBR600RR are the lightest weight bikes and capable of 130whp with exhaust and little motor work.

Check out Outspokentiger on instagram and youtube. He tunes middleweights and they roll race them.

If you can do without fairings the FZ/MT09 are 0-100 monsters and with a few mods regularly run mid 10s and are dirt cheap used

Attachments

• IMG_0236.jpeg
    IMG_0236.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

ajaf1656

Established Member
If you're suggesting naked bikes, go 1000cc or more. :cool:
I've ridden the MT-10 a handful of times, the motor is a total gem but it's ugly.
I bought my 2008 FZ1 new. Not new off the showroom floor, new out of the crate. Once I put the European naked front end on it, I never saw another one like it on the road. I would want a different motor now, but I still think it was a great looking bike and unlike all the naked on the market now, it was actually naked.
03-13-09_2110.jpeg
03-13-09_2111.jpeg

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
Bought a 2004 GSX-R 750 new and it was killer. Still had plenty of power and was light enough to handle great.
I haven't really looked at bikes in a while and I know there are some really great options. Most of them look and sound cool. Performance on newer stuff if on another level from when I rode.
Probably go with a new GSX-R 750.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Paid 10,300 out the door for a brand new 2020 GSX-R600 in 2021 and got free carbon fiber Yoshi slipon. For the money I couldn’t beat it, but the ZX6R are definitely worth looking at. Brock and Chris Moore have gotten ZX6Rs to break in the 9s with bolt ons in the quarter. Previously had a 06 CBR600RR with -1 front and slip on pipe. At 150lbs I could tuck and hang with R1 and GSX-R1000s up to a 100. If you find a clean one 07-08 CBR600RR are the lightest weight bikes and capable of 130whp with exhaust and little motor work.

Check out Outspokentiger on instagram and youtube. He tunes middleweights and they roll race them.

If you can do without fairings the FZ/MT09 are 0-100 monsters and with a few mods regularly run mid 10s and are dirt cheap used

Where IN THE **** have you been!?!?!?

850SNCobra

Established Member
If I was in the market today and had no budget, no doubt I'd be looking at the 2024 ZX-10R or maybe an H2.

If I was on a budget, I'd be looking at a 2011-2015 ZX-10R(4th Gen). Best bang for the buck for me, they are light and make good power. I'd love to get another 1st Gen ZX-10R they are fun street bikes with that low-end/midrange grunt and the weight of a 600CC sportbike.

I'd maybe look at newer gen 636 if looking at anything smaller than a liter bike, I like GSXR 750's but I just can't get down with being a Gixxer bro :-D

JaCobro

Luke 10:19
Established Member
Premium Member
I don’t know much about sport bikes. But the only bike I’ve owned was this 07 Kawasaki mean streak 1600cc. For its class it was slow as heck. Moved out enough for me though. Not a sport bike but it had inverted forks and dual front disc brakes! Lol
IMG_0946.jpeg

Right now I really like the way a HD Breakout Screaming Eagle looks. It also has inverted forks and dual disc brakes.
IMG_8334.jpeg
IMG_8333.jpeg

If I was in the market for a sport bike I would look at a Kawasaki Ninja at least a 650 or 6R. Just to enjoy and have fun.l with. Don’t know much about them but I know Saki makes some solid bikes.
IMG_8335.png

Man I miss riding a bike.

JaCobro

Luke 10:19
Established Member
Premium Member
I saw this bike the other day and was trying to figure out what it is. Maybe one of you guys can tell what it is? Looks like a dual purpose, and is RH chain drive.
IMG_8147.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread