Best Sportsbike 600cc and up

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah man, I’d say a lot of them have changed drastically as far as technology goes. GSX-R have come a long way too. I rode a few of those. The 750 was my favorite. It felt just right honestly, the 1000 the handlebar position was a bit much. As is my R1, they’re way too far down, granted they’re meant to be leaned on the entire time. That’s why I’d recommend a Kawasaki 636, or even a CBR600RR.

From my take on my buddies 08 R6 Raven it was nice, it just felt heavy in the bars around parking lots. I only rode it a handful of times when we would trade a traffic lights and such.

More recently I enjoy my brother in laws Aprillia Tuono V4 Factory, I know it’s Italian. However it’s a nice bike, but generates so much heat at lights between your legs.

I have been briefly browsing around and it seems like things have changed quite a bit…. I see a ton of sub 600cc ”sportsbikes” even from the big 4…. Weird.

Seems like the 600s of today (with a tune) are making the power 1000s used to make in the early 2000s.

Wondering how the reliability is on bikes today? What kinda mileage are we seeing on the newer bikes? Etc.

I hear some of the older R6 and R1s are highly coveted?

beau t

Established Member
Back 15 to 20 yrs ago 1 of my buddies worked for a race team that had honda and suzuki liter bikes ( he was mainly a suspension guy) so i asked him what the main difference between working on them was and the response was they could take a honda apart and put back together 100 times with no issue and the suzuki your removing broken bolts it seems like every time, but he also said it was the faster bike most of the time. Take that for what its worth if you enjoy working on your own bike. personally i had a CBR 600 for a year then put a 900 motor in it then a CBR 900 and CBR 1100 blackbird, If i was to buy another it would be another 1100 because it was more ergonomic to me - - - and NO i couldn't ride any to the potential they offered lol.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
@ZYBORG did you have an amount in mind? That might also help narrow it down a little bit I reckon. In regards to new, or older as far as years.

Not really. This is a question individual to each poster.

I am asking YOU, what the “best bang for the buck” for you is. What would you buy today? Perhaps a 2024 ZX10-R? Perhaps you think your money is best spent on a older gen R1? Etc.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
What are you going to be using it for? Deals Gap? Straight aways? Just Cruizing? Your Height?

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Not really. This is a question individual to each poster.

I am asking YOU, what the “best bang for the buck” for you is. What would you buy today? Perhaps a 2024 ZX10-R? Perhaps you think your money is best spent on a older gen R1? Etc.

If I were to go liter, it would in all probability be a 2009 and up R1.. Love that crossplane sound, nasty nasty bike. A ZX-10R would be in the discussion too.

LS WUT

Established Member
If it were me I’d honestly say that the new GSX-R 1000’s are doing work. I’ve seen Chris Moore the owner of Moore Mafia. He tunes these bikes, and does impressive numbers with them. Reliability checks out great on them too as far as I’ve seen.

My 2004 CBR600 has 71k miles on it, and runs like a top. Fork seals are an issue due to wheelies and such. My brother is an animal with it.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
If it were me I’d honestly say that the new GSX-R 1000’s are doing work. I’ve seen Chris Moore the owner of Moore Mafia. He tunes these bikes, and does impressive numbers with them. Reliability checks out great on them too as far as I’ve seen.

My 2004 CBR600 has 71k miles on it, and runs like a top. Fork seals are an issue due to wheelies and such. My brother is an animal with it.
I like his YouTube channel, dude cuts right to the chase with mods, tuning and dyno results… dude can ****ing ride too

LS WUT

Established Member
However with that being said. I’d probably pick my bike just because it’s what I’m used to, and what I’ve gotten used to. I’ve owned it for like 9 years now? These motors are reliable, I’ve got like 25k on mine now. Since there are 7 other bikes to choose from it doesn’t get ridden as much as the triumph rocket does.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
The good thing is you can go back 10-20 years and all the top bikes still like sweet.

For Instance....

tistan

Established Member
05-06 ninja 636 is considered one of the fastest, best handling, and reliable of all time. I had on back in 05. Nice bike price $5-6k.

08 -10 Gsxr 750 is what I would pick up for a middle weight bike. Great brakes and suspension. You can get one for $7-8k. You can't add $2k worth of mods to a 600 to make up the hp difference.

Ultimate track bike Triumph Daytona 765 rs. Full Ohlins suspension and Brembo brakes for about $10k used. They are supposed to be pretty uncomfortable.

Last edited:

Superspirit

Established Member
Since I'm riding a 17fz10 and loving it for 6 plus years now. If my fat old body would let me ride an all out sportbike, it'd be the R1M. Such a sweet Crossplane, love that sound! Sorry, but I quit Honda after buying my kid a 50 and realizing Honda was not as good a company as I thought. After a conversation with customer service, I sold all 3 that were in the garage and went Yamaha. With NO regrets. Btw I've had over 70 bikes and logged a half million miles. Still miss the old triumphs and guzzi's. They had character.

Last edited:

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
What are you going to be using it for? Deals Gap? Straight aways? Just Cruizing? Your Height?

again, the question is FOR YOU. If YOU were looking at buying a sportbike today, TRUE sportsbike from the big 4, what would it be. Why?

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
If I were to go liter, it would in all probability be a 2009 and up R1.. Love that crossplane sound, nasty nasty bike. A ZX-10R would be in the discussion too.

There you go… there you go… now tell us why, specifically…

tistan

Established Member
I currently own a zx9r and a BMW s1000r. The BMW can be as safe as you want it. Put it in rain mode and it cuts to 130 hp and turns on max abs, wheelie, and traction control. It also has heated grip, electronic suspension, cruise control, and quick shifter. You can get a nice used for $9-12k. I couldn't get back on a 600 and ride for fun. Anything less than 2 hours I take the zx9r anything longer I take the s1000r.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member

Nice. Yes, as it should be. Dont know about the newer hondas, but pre 2010s were TANKS.

blk02edge

Established Member
lucious lyon wtf GIF
An NSR500. The GOAT

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
05-06 ninja 636 is considered one of the fastest, best handling, and reliable of all time. I had on back in 05. Nice bike price $5-6k.

08 -10 Gsxr 750 is what I would pick up for a middle weight bike. Great brakes and suspension. You can get one for $7-8k. You can't add $2k worth of mods to a 600 to make up the hp difference.

Ultimate track bike Triumph Daytona 765 rs. Full Ohlins suspension and Brembo brakes for about $10k used. They are supposed to be pretty uncomfortable.

Nice.

Users who are viewing this thread