Bent my axel tubes today at the track!

86merc

Established Member
Easier to recommend the 9" than explaining how people build the 8.8 to live.

These cars are heavy. Building and bracing the 8.8 is imporant. And even then guys have broke the cast housing. The 8.8 is a good rear end. But it has it's limits. As good as the basic 9" design is, it still has it's limits and draw backs too.

Good luck fixing your rear end issue OP.

downwardspiral

Hammerhead
Established Member
This is interesting.. I've heard that welding the axle tubes can be worse than leaving them alone but haven't seen evidence. If it's still breaking I guess it's not worth the effort. It's also interesting that people are reaffirming that drag radials break more stuff than bias plys, which I always thought the contrary. :beer:

BHARRIS

FoMoCo
Established Member
I would almost put money on it. I got the same tires for street use(keep bias ply for the track) and after having them on for less than 100 miles, just playing around on the street, I broke 4th gear. Had well over 100 passes with 6k rpm launches and wot shifts on bias plys with zero issues. I knew the radials would break stuff but didnt figure it would be an issue with just street use and not launching with them. I was wrong. You can feel the difference in how much more harsh the radial pros are when you switch tires.

this is true, to me it felt alot more harsh, and with this not happening untill i put the pros on it... i thought it was a same as the slick... but i guess not lol

twayne8403

Established Member
That's the second time I've seen this. They had a guy with bmr brackets on his manual car and the axle shifted and blew his tire also. He was running on mt et street 2s

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

01bluesnake

Established Member
I'm waiting for pics. From the op description on how the tires are sitting, one side touching the front and one touching the rear, it seems like not the axle tube bent, but that the whole rear end twisted under the chasis from something letting go. Could be wrong, in for pics.

BHARRIS

FoMoCo
Established Member
update have a list of goodies on the way, new 8.8 axel housing, upr weld on braces, stud girdle, 31 spline axels, spool, strange adjustable shocks, and a team z motor sports anti roll bar.... and a few other odds and ends

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Seems like every car this happens to has relocation brackets. There's a post on s197 forum were a guy from UPR explains that they put too much leverage on the housing...I don't know its a good read. BMR is on there also...but it does seem they all have relocation brackets and most are manuals.

Have a link to the thread? PM if you can't post it here

Riptide

Established Member
Fwiw I have had people tell me they broke far more parts with slicks than radials. Probably because they were able to be even more aggressive on the launch and have it stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Thanks buddy. Kelly sent me that thread a little bit ago. I just read through the entire thing.

Poppacapp

Established Member
Damn. This is making me reconsider the et street pros i am about to purchase. I need to do some more reading.

BHARRIS

FoMoCo
Established Member
Fwiw I have had people tell me they broke far more parts with slicks than radials. Probably because they were able to be even more aggressive on the launch and have it stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat
cant leave much more aggressive than i do but my car hooks just as good on good radials as it dose on slicks

Users who are viewing this thread