Belt Dust with '13 TVS 2.4 upper and IW 10% lower

s174

trooper speed
Established Member
Do not want to get off track here, but you can get 10 rib Gates' belts from Rock Auto for $25..........

thanks you sir, I tried to get a 84.2 gates by going through local parts houses, they didn't even show one, the 85.2 was $40'ing, through the two performance companies that sell the 84.2 gates both showed it at around $80. Thansk for the info and I'll check them out. I found another member in the 13 section that is running the 2.4 press on pulley and 10% lower with no slip on dyno, only difference is he has long tubes and his boost is between 18 and 19 vs 21. BJ are the press on 2.4 and the interchangeable pulleys identical in groove design?

VNMOUS1

Established Member
thanks you sir, I tried to get a 84.2 gates by going through local parts houses, they didn't even show one, the 85.2 was $40'ing, through the two performance companies that sell the 84.2 gates both showed it at around $80. Thansk for the info and I'll check them out. I found another member in the 13 section that is running the 2.4 press on pulley and 10% lower with no slip on dyno, only difference is he has long tubes and his boost is between 18 and 19 vs 21. BJ are the press on 2.4 and the interchangeable pulleys identical in groove design?

Yes. And I don't think its a 20+ psi issue, either.

http://db.tt/6RHliFHi

PLEASE REACH ME VIA EMAIL AT [email protected] AS OPPOSED TO PM. THANKS.

Last edited:

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
My guess is, the bearing are getting hot turning the blower that hard. A little belt slip is a good thing, it'll keep it from breaking shet.

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Our groove profile is based on the SAE spec.

BJ has had great success with the 2.4 upper and 10% lower.

I have always believed that the HD belt was not the end-all be-all, and it seems that it produces some very fine dust! I have never seen something like that happen before.

I understand what you are saying about the stock blower vs the TVS, but they are different blowers and one of them has a higher pressure ratio and larger rotating mass.

I would be happy to work with you to help solve your problem.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Wow the 10% + a 2.4 pulley has to be a balls to the wall combo. I run a 2.4 pulley, but that's where it will stay for me.

Hope you get it solved.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Update: I have been contacted by both BJ and Justin....very professional response, great customer service.

That's why we're here! Here are a few more pix of mine. You can see by the "groove" on the idler that it tracks dead-nuts in the middle of it. You can also see...just by eyeballing it...that the snout pulley and the idler are in "sync". You can have a pulley in or out too much.....a idler just a little off...and it'll eat belt. Normally you'd see it start to chew the side/end but if it's just a little and not to that point, you will throw more dust from the ribs themselves.

Just out of curiosity, did you have a coating of this crap in your elbow and throttle body? (maybe you already mentioned that, but I'm on a roll :beer:)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ft87dk0xgban8v6/20130128_175302.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xbah33nfw7hy5yi/20130128_175258.jpg

bj

s174

trooper speed
Established Member
your pics show nothing of the groove design, I've ordered a billet pro pulley and what I'm going to do when I get it in is show all three close up and personal, the stock pulley, VMP and the billet pro... this has gotten ridiculous.

serickson1

sericksonGT500
Established Member
That's why we're here! Here are a few more pix of mine. You can see by the "groove" on the idler that it tracks dead-nuts in the middle of it. You can also see...just by eyeballing it...that the snout pulley and the idler are in "sync". You can have a pulley in or out too much.....a idler just a little off...and it'll eat belt. Normally you'd see it start to chew the side/end but if it's just a little and not to that point, you will throw more dust from the ribs themselves.

Just out of curiosity, did you have a coating of this crap in your elbow and throttle body? (maybe you already mentioned that, but I'm on a roll :beer:)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ft87dk0xgban8v6/20130128_175302.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xbah33nfw7hy5yi/20130128_175258.jpg

bj

My pulley and Idler are dead on as well......There was black stuff in the elbow (see pics) but nothing in the throttle body....I think the TB is too smooth for the stuff to stick, it was in the corners of the elbow and the rougher the surface the thicker it was on the intake manifold.

your pics show nothing of the groove design, I've ordered a billet pro pulley and what I'm going to do when I get it in is show all three close up and personal, the stock pulley, VMP and the billet pro... this has gotten ridiculous.

This has gotten ridiculous???? Did I miss something??

Last edited:

VNMOUS1

Established Member
My pulley and Idler are dead on as well......There was black stuff in the elbow (see pics) but nothing in the throttle body....I think the TB is too smooth for the stuff to stick, it was in the corners of the elbow and the rougher the surface the thicker it was on the intake manifold.

This has gotten ridiculous???? Did I miss something??

Beats me. I apparently have missed something too. Bizarre.

bj

Users who are viewing this thread