Belt Dust with '13 TVS 2.4 upper and IW 10% lower

serickson1

sericksonGT500
Established Member
BIG surprise today when I pulled the '13 TVS. I have had belt slip issues with the new 2.4 pulley I installed at the end of last season. Granted I drive my car harder and more often than most with all the drag racing I do but I was shocked at how black the IC was. This is the 6th time I have had the blower off of the car and the IC has always been clean. I run catch cans on both sides......this is NOT oil. It appears the belt dust was sucked thru the air cleaner.....I run an Advanced Flow Engineering open element air filter that is dark blue and has 5000 miles on it. I did not notice the black particles in the air cleaner until I looked closer after seeing the IC.....from the top the filter looked fine but was black underneath.
This post is NOT to bash any vendors nor will I respond to any negative comments regarding the above mentioned pulley. This is simply for your information.....if you have experienced belt slippage you may want to check your filter and or your IC.

The facts.......I ran 20+ psi with an all steel 2.2 pulley, stock Eaton, IW 10% lower pulley, Metco adjustable idler, and Thump tensioner with zero belt slip issues or excessive belt dust for three years.

Changed blower to '13 TVS with stock upper....no issues with belt slip

Installed 2.4 pulley on '13 TVS.....belt was slipping on dyno during tune for new pulley and slipped at the track.....evidently on every pass.

Here are the pics:shrug:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

fullboogie

Established Member
Holy hell - that is really weird! I'm running the TVS and 2.4" pulley, but not the 10% lower. Do you have the oversized idler pulley too? If that filter is allowing belt dust to that degree, you have to wonder what else it's letting in.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Holy crap, thanks for posting the pics and that's not looking good at all. Are you using a gates belt as well?

s174

trooper speed
Established Member
I don't think there's very many of us running the 2.4 with 10% lower on a TVS, maybe some in the 13 section? We'll get this figured out; what parts are going to work, what parts are not going to work and share the information. Whether it be the the pulley or something else, I'll be the first say if something's no good so somebody else doesn't waist their time and money.

Last edited:

serickson1

sericksonGT500
Established Member
Holy hell - that is really weird! I'm running the TVS and 2.4" pulley, but not the 10% lower. Do you have the oversized idler pulley too? If that filter is allowing belt dust to that degree, you have to wonder what else it's letting in.

I have not changed the idler pulley on the Thump tensioner......don't think this is a filter issue as the black is very fine.....similar to soot

Holy crap, thanks for posting the pics and that's not looking good at all. Are you using a gates belt as well?

Yes, Gates Heavy Duty green belt, tried the 84 and 85, both slipped.

I don't think there's very many of us running the 2.4 with 10% lower on a TVS, maybe some in the 13 section? We'll get this figured out; what parts are going to work, what parts are not going to work and share the information. Whether it be the the pulley or something else, I'll be the first say if something's no good so somebody else doesn't waist their time and money.

Agreed.....I'm switching back to an all steel pulley and see if that makes a difference....I have installed a 15% lower. Stegimeier is installing a multi drive kit on the snout so I can quick change between different size pulleys.....I'll find a combo that works and post up the results.

acobra03

Established Member
Are you sure the soot it getting through the filter and not around it somewhere? Another thought, is there any signs of chaffing around CIA where it joins the filter or TB?

Last edited:

serickson1

sericksonGT500
Established Member
I'm not sure about anything at this point other than the belt is slipping way to much.....the CAI looks normal and I'm sure the filter works fine at blocking any particles that would hurt the motor.....I'm not going to spend anytime speculating about how it got in there......if the belt stops slipping the problem will go away so thats what I'm fixing.

s174

trooper speed
Established Member
If my combo doesn't work, which reading from your expeirence it's probably not going too, I'll be ordering the Billet Pro 2.396 from Van and trying that. I'm hearing it could be a issue in the groove design and if that turns out to be true VMP better step up and take some ownership and tell people it will not work with a larger crank pulley.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
If my combo doesn't work, which reading from your expeirence it's probably not going too, I'll be ordering the Billet Pro 2.396 from Van and trying that. I'm hearing it could be a issue in the groove design and if that turns out to be true VMP better step up and take some ownership and tell people it will not work with a larger crank pulley.

Please share the source of your "hearing it could be an issue with groove design". It's highly unlikely, but if there is any sort of issue with the pulley itself we'd like to look into every possibility. That said, a pulley could perhaps be aligned incorrectly (pushed too far in or not seated deeply enough), causing premature belt wear and dust.

As for "stepping up" and telling people it won't work with a large crank pulley (sic), to date, that's simply not been the case. I run an Innovators 10% with the 2.40" stainless and if there was an abundance of dust it would be covering my silver blower. It isn't.

I've unfortunately been "down for the count" the past couple of days and haven't been out of the house, but will go look today at the Ford belt that I use and take some pictures of the engine bay for you to look at.

We do stand behind everything we develop and sell. So, if there is an issue, rest assured that you don't need to worry about us taking responsibility.

As for other pulleys, please do some investigating into materials before you spend more money. After that, If it ends up that something else is your choice, then so be it. But, I hate to see customers spending money while chasing a problem. :beer:

bj

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
What do the front of your engine and hood liner look like? You would think if it's belt dust it would be everywhere. :shrug: You say you hit the track a lot. Any chance it could be soot from excessively smokey burnouts?

s174

trooper speed
Established Member
The last thing I want to do is spend another $200 on another pulley and as far as naming names on who has said it could be a groove design, I'm just not going to do that. "serickson1" has obviously tried a host of things and has given up on this pulley. I'm very interested as to why you'd be running a motorcraft belt instead of the much stronger green gates? However, I think if what you're saying above is true, you should offer him his money back on the pulley as it clearly hasn't worked for him.

serickson1

sericksonGT500
Established Member
What do the front of your engine and hood liner look like? You would think if it's belt dust it would be everywhere. :shrug: You say you hit the track a lot. Any chance it could be soot from excessively smokey burnouts?

I have been doing smokey burnouts in this car since '07.....its not that....you can see the black on the front of the manifold and engine cover in the pic.....mine was only slipping at full throttle so I'm assuming most of the dust was getting pulled into the intake....my car is black so its not obvious under the hood....again I don't want to speculate on "what could it be"or "maybe its this".....my belt is slipping with my current set up, when I fix that the black dust problem will go away.

The last thing I want to do is spend another $200 on another pulley and as far as naming names on who has said it could be a groove design, I'm just not going to do that. "serickson1" has obviously tried a host of things and has given up on this pulley. I'm very interested as to why you'd be running a motorcraft belt instead of the much stronger green gates? However, I think if what you're saying above is true, you should offer him his money back on the pulley as it clearly hasn't worked for him.

s174 lets not get off track here.....I do not expect VMP to refund my money...there are too many variables at this point....they are a respected vendor and will step up if they feel it is necessary. The 2.4 pulley may work fine for others.....it just so happens I spend more time at WOT compared to most....I would not expect a refund or wholesale changes to a design based off of my car which is 95% drag only at this point.

Why not try an adjustable auxiliary ideler tensioner like the Steeda unit.

I have the Metco Adjustable Auxiliary idler.....this has 3 settings which has always worked.....again I have ran a 2.2 pulley in the past without issue.
I do like the Steeda design and may order one of those.

Last edited:

VNMOUS1

Established Member

"and as far as naming names on who has said it could be a groove design, I'm just not going to do that. "

If "they" have some information that can help solve a problem? Your prerogative, I suppose.

I run a Motorcraft belt because it's what was handy and I've never had a problem with one.

We've proactively reached out to serikson1.

bj

kozumasbullitt

Established Member
Is it better than the Metco adjustable that he and I both are using?

Yes because you can adjust it through the entire range.

20130119_110137.jpg

VNMOUS1

Established Member
I tried all three and found the upper hole resulted in the least amount of belt slip.

I'm using the middle. Too tight and it's guaranteed to slip.

And my apologies....I'm not going to make it to the garage to see which belt part number I'm using but I can tell you it's 84.2", so I think that's the one S174.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread