"Because It's Worth It Club." How far did you have to travel to get your Terminator?

Dragu1a

Established Member
from OH to CT and back....in 1 day.

bought the car off a member on here, from CT. fortunately i had a very close friend living near the seller in CT at the time, so he went and checked it out for me and talked to the owner.

over the next couple weeks i went to the bank, got the paperwork signed and sent the check fedex and posted on facebook my travel date(looking for a road trip buddy). a good friend of the family posted up that he'd go and we could take his truck/trailer....he didn't tell me what kind of truck he just bought.

Truck - GMC 4500 with 26' enclosed trailer

truck_zps48aa8744.jpg

truck1_zpsb99bc9ea.jpg

the cobra -
cobra_zps41f111d1.jpg

loaded up for the ride home -

44977fe0.jpg

17hrs and nearly 1,000 miles later...it was home.

94slowbra1

Established Member
looked for a 10th vert for a while and finally came across one on here from 10thSVT_03. car was in chicago and im in new orleans. got all my ducks in a row (sold all the parts from my 88 coupe) before contacting him. hate when people contact about buying in the hopes that they can get financing or sell what they have. settled on a date for me to fly up. didnt ask for a deposit or anything. day before im scheduled to fly out wife calls me and says she going into labor with our second about a month early. so naturally i have to reschedule flight. seller had no issues and was more than understanding. flew out 3 days later and took the 950 mile trip home. got exactly what i wanted and couldnt be happier. huge thanks to the wife for letting me leave with a 2 yr old and a 3 day old at home.

CobraLov3r

Established Member
from OH to CT and back....in 1 day.

bought the car off a member on here, from CT. fortunately i had a very close friend living near the seller in CT at the time, so he went and checked it out for me and talked to the owner.

over the next couple weeks i went to the bank, got the paperwork signed and sent the check fedex and posted on facebook my travel date(looking for a road trip buddy). a good friend of the family posted up that he'd go and we could take his truck/trailer....he didn't tell me what kind of truck he just bought.

Truck - GMC 4500 with 26' enclosed trailer

truck_zps48aa8744.jpg

truck1_zpsb99bc9ea.jpg

the cobra -
cobra_zps41f111d1.jpg

loaded up for the ride home -

44977fe0.jpg

17hrs and nearly 1,000 miles later...it was home.

Too bad this TR left CT, nice grab though! looks beautiful! Mind if i ask what town you picked her up from in CT?

Last edited:

ColorMatched

grayongrayongrayongray
Established Member
Flew to San Antonio from Pittsburgh for mine:

242430_10150606493595858_509092_o.jpg

1500 miles and about 25 hrs plus a stop at Dynospeed in Memphis

Del Monte Center on North Shore in Pittsburgh:

271581_10150694542325858_8336271_o.jpg

Dragu1a

Established Member
Too bad this TR left CT, nice grab though! looks beautiful! Mind if i ask what town you picked her up from in CT?

Thanks. It's Comp Orange, it comes across red in most pictures though. :shrug:

It came from enfield, if I remember correctly.

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
Got dropped off at the airport in Jacksonville, FL at 6am, arrived in Cleveland, OH at 11am where I was picked up by the owner. Drove to his place, loaded all SVT paperwork, receipts and documents up including 2 10.5 reps with 315 Toyo 888's. One perpendicular to the vehicle in the back seat, one parallel to the vehicle in the front pass seat, both new but wrapped in plastic. Started the drive back to Jacksonville at about 2:30 pm with the top down, back in June 2013, but after an hour of so driving the absolutely beautiful and historic small Ohio town roads I had to get on the highway and the plastic bags fluttering in the wind drove me nuts. Put the top up and drove straight threw to St Aug with gas and bathroom breaks. Made it there by 4:30 am the next morning.

The price you pay to find a low mileage, limited production vehicle in the exact body and color configuration you had been dreaming for 10 years.

No regrets at this point.

cj428mach

Established Member
I was fully planning on traveling anywhere within the 48 states to find the right OW terminator. It had to be low mileage and minor bolt ons. Everyday I would search the market place, local craigslist, autotrader, etc etc. Then 1 day in November I decided to do a nationwide craigslist search for an OW cobra and one popped up just short of 100 miles from me. :eek:

It was an original OW with 7474 miles on it. The original owner was 65yrs old and bought it when he was 55. The only mods were a ported stieg blower, JLT CAI, EGR delete and tune. The car was everything I could have asked for and more, it still even smells new. It recently got some fresh tires and the originals went into storage. The paint is perfect so I'm covering all the important areas with clear bra. My whipple is now sitting on top of it force feeding it air, and I'm absolutely in love with it.

Here is the day I made the deal for the car.
2uo4bux.jpg

SN8KBYT_1

Established Member
I drove about 750 miles for mine. South Dakota to Wisconsin. I wanted one for years. Here is a picture on the trailer before I left to come home. I slept in my Excursion the previous night. I took a shower at a truck stop and slept in the back of the Ex. I didn't want anyone messing with the new member of the family... It had 8,600 miles on it. The previous owner and I have become friends after the sale. Great guy...

trailerMedium_zps9b83e2e9.jpg

Redfire_USMC

Established Member
Seeing everyone's stories of how much effort they put into finding and grabbing the wrong one is making me extremely ecstatic to be the owner of one in the near future! The thrill of taking one of these babies home is incredibly fulfilling. I'm sure by this time its obvious that I'm preaching to the choir.

Keep the stories coming, I love reading them all!

huffed98snake

Killer Pumpkin
Established Member
This is an account of my 4,500 mile "adventure". A buddy and I flew out from Boise, ID to Virginia to pick up the 04' in my sig. This was in November of last year, right around that first winter storm hit the entire south and blew out over the east coast.

Due to impending weather, we had to adjust our route further south several times in an attempt to avoid the snow.

Day one was fine, after obtaining a 3 day temporary registration from the Virginia DMV, we left Virginia late afternoon and made it to Knoxville that night. Tennessee kicked ass. Beautiful scenery and awesome BBQ.

Day two. Destination, Dallas/Fort Worth. The first truly bad weather we hit was in Arkansas. Driving at night through a torrential rain in a car with 5% tinted windows and tinted headlight covers was awesome. Visibility steadily declined as we went on. We decided to shorten up our leg and stop in Texarkana. Visibility continued to decline until I literally couldn't see the lines on the freeway. At this point we are doing 50 mph due to poor visibility using taillights in front to see our way. The rain steadily increased in intensity as we went along. Think white knuckles for around 100 miles. A low visibility situation quickly evolved into a low traction situation as we started to hydroplane all over the freeway. It was at that point I decided to call it a night and shack up in the next town with a Holiday Inn. That turned out to be Hope, AR. We made it! Whew. I needed a beer (or six). Stop at the gas station to pick up a 12 pack. No joy. Dry county. Lovely. Lucky for us we had two beers left over from the night before. My nerves needed it.

Day 3. El Paso here we come. Gotta make up for lost time. Temporary registration expires in another day. We are very happy to get into Texas with relatively nice weather. It's cold and drizzly but it's not frozen yet and its not a downpour. We were happy. We are happily motoring along approaching Midland when the temp starts to drop and freezing rain starts coming down. Damnit. We stopped in Midland to wait out the freezing rain for the night.

Day 4. This is what we woke up to. This is the balcony outside our hotel room in downtown Midland. We aren't going anywhere. Another day lost. Also got pulled over for the first time for no plates while out trying to dig up some tacos. Good luck with that in west Texas on a Sunday in the middle of an ice storm. It was a miracle ANYTHING was open.

IMG_20131124_101309_371.gif

Day 5. Phoenix or bust. The freeway was dry-ish and the temps were in the mid 30's. We are good to go. Although we now have a new hazard to watch out for. Massive sheets of 1"+ thick ice blowing off the tops of trucks and trailers. Those suckers really sail at freeway speed. Spent the next 100 miles dodging flying sheets of ice. When we went through El Paso we got pulled over again by a friendly THP for no plates. No worries he sent us on our way. We had another moment of worry as we went through a border patrol check station. We thought for sure wed got pulled aside for no plates. Nope. All he asked was, "Are you both American citizens?" "Yup.", we said. "Have a nice trip.", he said. Whew! The last bit of anxiety for this day came and went as we crossed the high desert plateau across New Mexico and on into Arizona. We had a very close eye on the temp as the freeway was still wet in spots and it was very cold on the plateau. We made it off the plateau right as the temps dropped below 30*. Whew. Nothing but dry warm roads ahead!

We make it to Phoenix around midnight. We were in town literally five minutes when we get pulled over by Mesa PD. He took off in a hurry when I showed him the written warning the THP gave me. Funny enough, he was the only one of the three law enforcement officers to actually verify the cars VIN against my paperwork. LOL

Day 6. Phoenix was a PITA due to reason unrelated to the car or weather. The Excursions I detoured to Phoenix to look at for the wife were overpriced pieces of junk. Yet another day wasted. Our wives are getting anxious as it is now the Tuesday before Thanksgiving and we are still 1000 miles away. We try to get out of Phoenix around 4 p.m. With traffic, we cleared town around 7 p.m. On to Vegas for the night. Had an excellent dinner at Lago's inside the Venitian.

Day 7. It's time to get home. We spent around 14 hours on the road that day/night to power on home. I finally pulled into my garage at midnight Wednesday/Thursday morning.

Sorry for the novel. I thought a few might enjoy the "adventure". I left out quite a bit of detail. LOL

Day 7.

STEVEOUSMC

Established Member
Found mine in Florida while deployed. I asked my grandfather to drive two hours from his house to look at it, he gave it a go and I wired the guy the money. When I go home I shipped it up to Boston....I personally never saw the car until it came off the truck in Boston.

shftn6

mystichrome vert.
Established Member
I lucked out and didn't have to travel far at all to find my Cobra. However, when my Dad was looking for one two years ago we ended up in Daytona Beach, Florida. He was dead set on finding a low mile Mystichrome Convertible, which were proving hard to find. A Dodge dealership near Daytona got one on trade-in with 1500 miles that was bone stock except for a catback and posted it online. He called as soon as it was posted and everything about it checked out.

Coincidentally, we had a vacation planned to Destin a week or so later, so he bought it sight unseen and we drove to Daytona, picked it up, and drove it all the way back to Houston. Here is a picture of it at the dealer and another waiting at a light on the way back to Destin.
IMG_20110618_125609_zpsda08ad98.jpg

IMG_20110618_132303_zpsdb19c9c3.jpg

Drove the car about 1500 miles back to Houston on the stock Goodyears with absolutely no problems.

Lol I bought my 04 mystichrome vert at a dodge dealership in Flagler, FL (basically Daytona) back in 09. Flew in from Houston and drove it back home. Here is a pic the day I got back to my house. It was definitely worth it.
E9667441-6EC6-4B8F-B338-30C3EAEFCDCE.jpg

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I bought mine brand new in 03 with zero miles and still had to drive from Kansas City MO to Fremont Nebraska. It was the closest dealer that had yellow. 3 1/2 hours each way all in one day.

Dealer offered to drive it down for me but I kindly declined and said I'll go get it myself :)

Users who are viewing this thread