BBK CAI... Why no love?

luiSVT99

CoyoteFTW
Established Member
hey guys, so i'm in the process of restoring parts of my "Unicorn" and one that needs love for the looks is the CAI, i know there is a lot of threads (have read almost all, thanks SEARCH function) about cold air intakes and i wanted to go with JLT High Boost intake for the looks and the shown performance, but right now i'm on a budget so i said to myself lets give this BBK a little touch
(sorry if its not the correct section to post)
here are some pics from yesterday when i removed it, i'm sanding it (chrome is pealing bad) and i think i'm painting it black,

C14F0A58-99DD-4698-871E-BE218928DB7F_zpsvqxu7yda.jpg

E53E0538-03AD-4BB1-8E14-32E970CFD349_zpsktnkwrju.jpg

2FEF1AF2-A28A-4BDA-A6E1-21C38B0E2054_zpsbkqoahqo.jpg

14A9B9DB-8568-41F7-B5C4-2E4B5ACA892E_zpsorwbx8nw.jpg

0F8D4CF5-EB77-4221-9B30-CA963903A58A_zpsqp1ziebl.jpg

So, why so little love for the BBK piece? is it the price, any dyno comparisson...

GREEKSTANG4.6

Established Member
I just had issues with the visual quality. Back in my GT days, I had bought a few of the BBK cai's to use or resell and just thought they looked and felt cheap. Never bought any for the cobras but from your pics above , they look on par with stuff I've purchased in the past.

Never thought about painting them. Good luck and post some after pictures.

cj428mach

Established Member
How does it fit?

To me the Gen 2 JLT true cold air kit is the only way to go. It has the best fitment even better than the stock elbow.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Because BBK is garbage I'm happy your restoring, saving the car seen your thread. But after issues with a X-pipe of theirs on my previous 01 Cobra. Then the way there CAI rubs on the shock tower of my 5.0 I'll never purchase anything from them again.

Coxy

Established Member
My car came with a bbk cai as well. I want to replace it, but it's not in the budget as well here. I painted the main part black for now, it does the trick, and doesn't pull air from the engine bay, so that's good enough till I feel spendy.

Tractionless1

Established Member
I would guess because of the price and being it is metal it is going to hold heat.

The air charge is moving so fast there isn't time for the BBK casting to heat it, been down this road before. My IAT1 reads what a thermometer shows the ambient temp. is under any throttle position. I have zero issues with mine and like the look better than he round PVC everyone else pays nearly $300 for.

OP, mock it up and if it fits, powder coat and use. You can always change the filter out for an oilless Amsoil unit.

Intake2.gif

luiSVT99

CoyoteFTW
Established Member
It was a PITA to remove the peeling chrome so i gave up a little and painted that way (i'm buying a JLT High Boost anyway)

What do you think??

4F2825A0-6AFF-40A0-9AE5-2DEE0AF7F5EB_zpsjkbv93mf.jpg

this is how it looked before

55F03906-664D-4619-9853-593424E6E9BD_zpsurtdiiqr.jpg

Last edited:

bigmoose

Established Member
The air charge is moving so fast there isn't time for the BBK casting to heat it, been down this road before. My IAT1 reads what a thermometer shows the ambient temp. is under any throttle position. I have zero issues with mine and like the look better than he round PVC everyone else pays nearly $300 for.

OP, mock it up and if it fits, powder coat and use. You can always change the filter out for an oilless Amsoil unit.

Intake2.gif
That test seems flawed since your picture shows the IAT1 sensor before the pipe.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I have a BBK on mine. had to modify the strut tower brace to get it to fit but haven't had any issues since. but then mine does not get a lot of miles put through it.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
The stock tube with a K&N gen 2 works much better. Dyno an track proven. I know I had a bbk. Worked ok but didn't perform on the dyno or the track. I'm guessing due to added heat.

Tractionless1

Established Member
The stock tube with a K&N gen 2 works much better. Dyno an track proven. I know I had a bbk. Worked ok but didn't perform on the dyno or the track. I'm guessing due to added heat.

520/570 SAE with Eaton, 11.1@127, your problem doesn't lie with at hot intake pipe. As I said above the air is moving so fast through said pipe it doesn't have time to heat. Additionally do you know how hot a blower makes air when compressing it? The intake pipe will have zero effect even if it did transfer heat to the intake charge.

Last edited:

Tractionless1

Established Member
It was a PITA to remove the peeling chrome so i gave up a little and painted that way (i'm buying a JLT High Boost anyway)

What do you think??

4F2825A0-6AFF-40A0-9AE5-2DEE0AF7F5EB_zpsjkbv93mf.jpg

this is how it looked before

55F03906-664D-4619-9853-593424E6E9BD_zpsurtdiiqr.jpg

Looks good. Don't let the naysayers who have to justify spending $300 on a piece of PVC to themselves sway your thinking!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Looks better than it did before, but the rust areas that weren't properly sanded are still showing through. I would have powder-coated them (a DIY project).

TERMINATED97

Established Member
Looks better than it did before. i custom made an intake on my old G35 out of 3" PVC, I'm thinking about trying it on the obra but with a 4" piece. Pretty simple as long as you get the right elbows.

cj428mach

Established Member
Looks better than it did before. i custom made an intake on my old G35 out of 3" PVC, I'm thinking about trying it on the obra but with a 4" piece. Pretty simple as long as you get the right elbows.

Thats what the original Gen 1 JLTs were. He just glued them together and sanded the joints smooth then painted.

Users who are viewing this thread