BBK CAI... Why no love?

bigmoose

Established Member
Where did I say I tested it myself? Additionally yes it is in the pipe.

Where you said your IAT1 temps read ambient under any throttle position. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that it would be interesting to measure temps near the TB with that pipe compared to a plastic pipe.

TERMINATED97

Established Member
Thats what the original Gen 1 JLTs were. He just glued them together and sanded the joints smooth then painted.

That's literally all they where? I'm thinking that'll be a nice weekend project this weekend. I'll stop at Home Depot on my way home!

Tractionless1

Established Member
Where you said your IAT1 temps read ambient under any throttle position. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that it would be interesting to measure temps near the TB with that pipe compared to a plastic pipe.

I assumed you meant the intake velocity over a simple ambient air comparison.

FWIW a supercharger producer tested post blower charge temps approaching 700* before being cooled by the aftercooler. Even a 20* drop in IAT1 will make little difference. It's all about post blower cooling and keeping the lower intake manifold temp. under control.

bigmoose

Established Member
I assumed you meant the intake velocity over a simple ambient air comparison.

FWIW a supercharger producer tested post blower charge temps approaching 700* before being cooled by the aftercooler. Even a 20* drop in IAT1 will make little difference. It's all about post blower cooling and keeping the lower intake manifold temp. under control.
Interesting info. Are you running a RAI setup in your engine bay? I have a first gen JLT CAI. Its ugly and muffles my blower whine.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I think the bbk intake is just ugly. IMO bbk stuff is just cheap looking to me. I've had plenty of there products back in the day on my foxbodies.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
520/570 SAE with Eaton, 11.1@127, your problem doesn't lie with at hot intake pipe. As I said above the air is moving so fast through said pipe it doesn't have time to heat. Additionally do you know how hot a blower makes air when compressing it? The intake pipe will have zero effect even if it did transfer heat to the intake charge.

glad it worked for you. for me the BBK was junk. here is why for me.

BBK
rough and un smoothed inside the tube
small filter
didn't line up well an rubbed on the body
cheap chrome that adds un wanted heat.

K&N Gen 2
uses stock tube with no restrictions
Bigger filter
fit perfect and the heat shield worked pretty well
no bend/cruve before the MAF

both ran on the same tune and for me the K&N just worked better for me.

Tractionless1

Established Member
Ya say the BBK is rough; however the stock tube has an accordion section.
There's plenty of filter sizes available.
No issues with alignment.
Mine's not chromed and read about about the heat being a non issue.
Post MAF bend isn't an issue for my tuner.

cj428mach

Established Member
That's literally all they where? I'm thinking that'll be a nice weekend project this weekend. I'll stop at Home Depot on my way home!

Yep, thats all they were you can see where the paint was scratched off on my old one that it was just white pvc pipe. I wished I would have taken pics of the glue joints on the inside as you can see they were just the blue/purpleish color you get after using pvc primer then diluting it with glue. The original rubber coupler that connected to MAF looks like something from the plumbing section as well.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?981231-Black-JLT-True-Cold-Air-Kit-Gen-1

You can also see in this picture its just pvc pipe.

I think what really made them sell is that JLT obviously put a lot of time into the finish on them.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
Just use the couplers you have and use some 4" PVC to make an intake pipe. I had JLT short ram and didn't need the holes drilled in it for valve cover venting so instead of trying to plug those off I just made a pvc pipe the same length and obviously had no holes to worry about. Buy some vinyl wrap of any design of your choosing, spend 5 minutes wrapping it and you have a completely different intake for like 25 bucks.

WHITESTRIPES

Established Member
OP I had the same BBK intake. I also ditched it for a JLT cold air. The BBK filter sits horizontal in the fender, limiting you on filter size. The JLT bends down so the filter sits vertical allowing you to run a bigger filter, especially if you go the high boost route. Changing the filter on the BBK sucked too. So much easier on the JLT. Overall fitment and the fact it's one piece was worth it to me. If you sell your BBK you really won't shell out much for the JLT. Just my .02 and experience.

Users who are viewing this thread