Bay Area shops that have installed SFCs on a newer mustang

mf150

Psi Chi
Established Member
I've heard of Apex, but I have seen their welds on a buddy's car, and I am not impressed at all.

I've also heard of East Bay Frame and Axle shop and how they use a lazer guided frame machine to line up teh frame before installing SFCs.

I am in need of a good shop that 1) knows what they are doing 2) can weld worth a damn 3) has done many SFC installs on later model mustangs.

Thanks!

mf150

Psi Chi
Established Member
Got your PM LL, thanks for the suggestion...Looks like I'm going for it on Monday or Tuesday...trying to get WTF to go down with me...

moonltgold

Custom Alignment, Mountain View (Joe Silva, owner). Not cheap, but a work of art.
He's done many Mustangs, and races one with the NorCal Shelby Assn.

(650) 961-5311

mf150

Psi Chi
Established Member
moonlt said:
Custom Alignment, Mountain View (Joe Silva, owner). Not cheap, but a work of art.
He's done many Mustangs, and races one with the NorCal Shelby Assn.

(650) 961-5311

Thanks for the info, but I am going with Lightning Larry's suggestion...it's a bit closer and the welder knows his stuff...fellow SVt and Mustang driver. :rockon:

DnB

Established Member
What was Larry's suggestion. I got my SFC welded on by Maier Racing in Hayward today.

Dave

mf150

Psi Chi
Established Member
"Unfortunately, I cannot change or control what happened when I did not own the shop 1.5 years ago. Many of the employees which were with the company are no longer with Apex. MM Full Lengths are defintely better than the standard ones.

If you give us an opportunity I will GUARANTEE you will be VERY happy with the job. If you are not, we will redo it until you are."

I appreciate your willingness to help. Sounds like Apex is going in the right direction, and I am glad things have changed...maybe it was a fluke type situation with my buddy's GT. :rockon:

TPSMak

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
mf150 said:
"Unfortunately, I cannot change or control what happened when I did not own the shop 1.5 years ago. Many of the employees which were with the company are no longer with Apex. MM Full Lengths are defintely better than the standard ones.

If you give us an opportunity I will GUARANTEE you will be VERY happy with the job. If you are not, we will redo it until you are."

I appreciate your willingness to help. Sounds like Apex is going in the right direction, and I am glad things have changed...maybe it was a fluke type situation with my buddy's GT. :rockon:

I have worked extemely hard to distance myself and the shop from some of the bad press from the past owners. We have reached out and supported more events and clubs than any other shop in Norcal by a huge margin. Come by the shop anytime and you will notice a COMPLETE change of how the shop was in the past.

Also, Apex Motorsports carries ALL the top manufacturer of performance products for the Mustang. We have several exclusive relationships with manufacturers. Not only do we sell their products, we have most it in stock.
-Griggs Racing-Only shop authorized to sell and install their products in Norcal. They came out to our Grand Opening & Car Show.
-Maximum Motorsports-One of their largest reseller in Norcal. They came out to our last car show.
-Kenne Bell Superchargers-Only 1 of 2 authorized resellers allowed to sell and install their products North of Bakersfield. We are the largest Kenne Bell reseller in Norcal.
-SCT Dyno Tuning-Factory Trained Tuners
-Diablosport Dyno Tuning
-Coast High Performance Engines-Great quality at a great price.
-Evolution Motorsports-Exclusive reseller in Norcal
-Racelogic Traction Control Systems- Exclusive reseller in Norcal
-Vortech Superchargers
-Baer Racing Brakes, Power Slot, Brembo
-Bassani & Maganaflow Exhaust
-Steeda
-Bilstein, Koni, Tokico, KYB
-Raptor Shift Lifts
-and much more…..

If you ever have a chance please come by the shop you'll notice some real nice projects including....

66 Mustang
-5-Speed Tremec conversion
-4 wheel SSBC disc
-347 CHP Engine w/ Carb setup
-AFR Heads
-subframes and much more

01 Mustang GT
-5.1L Stroker CHP Engine
-Custom Ported 2V Heads
-2.2 Kenne Bell Supercharger
-Full Maximum Motorsports Suspension

93 Saleen Speedster
-AFR Heads w/ Vortech SQ
-Polished Vortech/ Saleen Intake

69 Chevelle
-LS1/ LS2 Engine
-Full restoration

WTF

law abiding citizen
Established Member
mf150 said:

Hi Matt! Strange to see you here at SVTP! :)

Mf150 is referring to my SFCs and it's weldings I believe. They were installed in November/December of 2004 so it was actually only about a year ago. Also, I was told at the time of the sale and install, that the MM full lengths hardly provided any benefit, if at all, over the Short Griggs SFCs. So I was sold and went ahead and had apex install it for me. As I later learned, this is highly contradictory to common knowledge on the net (not to say the net is always right, lol). I've been told that the welds will hold fine, they're just messy. With that, I'm still undecided yet to keep them on or pony up more cash to have them cut out for full lengths MM. Needless to say, I do have some regret with this purchase and install. :(

TPSMak

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
WTF said:
Hi Matt! Strange to see you here at SVTP! :)

Mf150 is referring to my SFCs and it's weldings I believe. They were installed in November/December of 2004 so it was actually only about a year ago. Also, I was told at the time of the sale and install, that the MM full lengths hardly provided any benefit, if at all, over the Short Griggs SFCs. So I was sold and went ahead and had apex install it for me. As I later learned, this is highly contradictory to common knowledge on the net (not to say the net is always right, lol). I've been told that the welds will hold fine, they're just messy. With that, I'm still undecided yet to keep them on or pony up more cash to have them cut out for full lengths MM. Needless to say, I do have some regret with this purchase and install. :(

As I have stated to you before 2 months ago.... even though the work you recieved was done before I owned the shop I would be more than happy to fix the welds for you if you are unhappy with them. Just give Mario or Chris a call and setup an appointment and we would be more than happy to fix the welds for you.

The Griggs units are pretty good and do offer a good amount of chassis stiffening but the full length Maximums do offer a bit more bracing than the standard Griggs units. Either unit is more than adequate for a 90% of the cars out there. If you want the Maximum Full Lengths units and want to remove the Griggs units please let me know and I will take care of you, even though your purchase was made before I purchased the shop. :-D

Mike Mak
Apex Motorsports
Norcal SVTOA-President
Drive Magazine-Contributing Editor
2555 Lafayette Blvd #122
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Phone: 408/588-0075

Last edited:

sndmn_2000

Next is a Vette
Established Member
A friend of mine asked Apex for changing of cams and to do that they priced him close to 5 grand.
Like 2 grand for cams, another grand for springs, to pull the engine another $. So he finally went and got it done for like 2,600 somewhere else. So thats my indirect experiance.

TPSMak

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
sndmn_2000 said:
A friend of mine asked Apex for changing of cams and to do that they priced him close to 5 grand.
Like 2 grand for cams, another grand for springs, to pull the engine another $. So he finally went and got it done for like 2,600 somewhere else. So thats my indirect experiance.

I am not exactly sure what the exact quote would be BUT I am sure it is NO WHERE near $5000. I am sure it is much less than that.

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
I just took mine to a muffler shop in Dublin. The guy is a good welder and has done several jobs for me. He charged $65. if I remember. It's not rocket science.

mf150

Psi Chi
Established Member
Lightning Larry--

You da man! Lupe was freakin awesome...great work and he took his time, let me watch the process.

I am very happy with this high quality work.

Check your PMs...we will be down there tomorrow, too.

mf150

Psi Chi
Established Member
If anyone wants a quality job on anything related to mustangs, Lupe at Meineke Mufflers on Middlefield Rd. in Redwood City is the man to see...that is if you care about weld perfection.

his number is: 650-365-0261

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
apexmotorsports said:
I have worked extemely hard to distance myself and the shop from some of the bad press from the past owners. We have reached out and supported more events and clubs than any other shop in Norcal by a huge margin. Come by the shop anytime and you will notice a COMPLETE change of how the shop was in the past.

Also, Apex Motorsports carries ALL the top manufacturer of performance products for the Mustang. We have several exclusive relationships with manufacturers. Not only do we sell their products, we have most it in stock.
-Griggs Racing-Only shop authorized to sell and install their products in Norcal. They came out to our Grand Opening & Car Show.
-Maximum Motorsports-One of their largest reseller in Norcal. They came out to our last car show.
-Kenne Bell Superchargers-Only 1 of 2 authorized resellers allowed to sell and install their products North of Bakersfield. We are the largest Kenne Bell reseller in Norcal.
-SCT Dyno Tuning-Factory Trained Tuners
-Diablosport Dyno Tuning
-Coast High Performance Engines-Great quality at a great price.
-Evolution Motorsports-Exclusive reseller in Norcal
-Racelogic Traction Control Systems- Exclusive reseller in Norcal
-Vortech Superchargers
-Baer Racing Brakes, Power Slot, Brembo
-Bassani & Maganaflow Exhaust
-Steeda
-Bilstein, Koni, Tokico, KYB
-Raptor Shift Lifts
-and much more…..

If you ever have a chance please come by the shop you'll notice some real nice projects including....

66 Mustang
-5-Speed Tremec conversion
-4 wheel SSBC disc
-347 CHP Engine w/ Carb setup
-AFR Heads
-subframes and much more

01 Mustang GT
-5.1L Stroker CHP Engine
-Custom Ported 2V Heads
-2.2 Kenne Bell Supercharger
-Full Maximum Motorsports Suspension

93 Saleen Speedster
-AFR Heads w/ Vortech SQ
-Polished Vortech/ Saleen Intake

69 Chevelle
-LS1/ LS2 Engine
-Full restoration

+1 For Apex :-D
Did nice work on my Terminator.
Jeff

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
mf150 said:
If anyone wants a quality job on anything related to mustangs, Lupe at Meineke Mufflers on Middlefield Rd. in Redwood City is the man to see...that is if you care about weld perfection.

his number is: 650-365-0261

lifetime mufflers on El Camino in Redwood City built me a nice Borla (legal) setup.

Users who are viewing this thread