Battery drain? Car won't start!

X3FBrian

Established Member
Go pull fuse 1.6 out of your fuse box under the hood and see if it still draws....we may have the EXACT problem. I had to take my redtop back because whatever is draining my car screwed that battery up big time

black-plasma

Established Member
Replaced my POS Redtop Optima with a Ford Motorcraft battery.... no more drain.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Are you garaged? If yes do yourself a favor and get a battery tender, I have a slow current draw on mine and it'll drain the battery after about 3-4 days. I Just keep it on the tender for a full charge, no worries! One of these days I'll start pulling fuses and investigating my draw...

X3FBrian

Established Member
Are you garaged? If yes do yourself a favor and get a battery tender, I have a slow current draw on mine and it'll drain the battery after about 3-4 days. I Just keep it on the tender for a full charge, no worries! One of these days I'll start pulling fuses and investigating my draw...

I picked up a battery tender yesterday :rockon:

X3FBrian

Established Member
Ok whatever the draw is its from underhood fuse f1.6

Sold my aftermarket double din so I'm between radios at the moment.

Disconnected wideband completely.

Still draws. It reads 4.7 on the 10A setting on my meter and just goes all the way up until the meter gives me an error. What the hell. I was hoping it was the radio.

deremer71

Established Member
Woohoo! I'm not the only one. What mods do you have and maybe we can compare.

As far as engine... I just installed a vortech v1 s-trim, 03 cobra injectors, afternarket fuel pump etc... everything needed for a supercharger. But this has been going on since I bought the car long before the supercharger came into the picture. It has an aftermarket radio/cd player but that wasnt pulling any juice when I checked, just instrument cluster/PCM.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
I am chasing the exact same gremlin. Battery dies in less than 24 hours. Only aftermarket electrical is a 40 amp BAP. Thats been on the car for 2 years now and I just started this issue this year. Pulled the main fuse out of the BAP line, still killed battery.

FYI, Optima Red Top also. And I have had 2 alternators that have overheated, melted plastic internals, and kept a drain on the battery, but even then the battery held for a few days.

Last edited:

6speed

Established Member
does your battery tender ever get it to full charge? brought my car home last thur, fired it right up to unload it off the trailer. next day... battery dead. ive had it hooked up to the tender for 5 days and its still in the red (less than 80% charge)

X3FBrian

Established Member
Yes but it isn't designed for that. I would quickly jump your car off, let it charge, then put the tender on it.

START 'N CHARGE

alternator/starter guy
Established Member
Yes but it isn't designed for that. I would quickly jump your car off, let it charge, then put the tender on it.

That's one of the worst things you can do to an alternator,jumping is emergency only.Use a dedicated battery charger to bring it back up.If it wont charge full overnight,you probably have a bad battery.

Last edited:

X3FBrian

Established Member
I didn't have much of a choice but to jump mine off. At the rate my tender charges it would have taken forever to charge my battery back up from 4 volts.

Users who are viewing this thread